|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the priest in charge of the Catholic section of the Reich Church Ministry?
2. How long did Hartl convalesce after a nervous breakdown before being discharged from the SS?
3. Several survivors testified at Stagl's trial, but who is the one survivor whose testimony Stangl felt as a betrayal?
4. Besides, Suchomel, who else does the author mention as defending that Stangl did not carry a gun, but a small whip only?
5. Whose final accounting about "Aktion Reinhardt" is mentioned by the author in the beginning of Part Two of the biography?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Brack in relation to T4 and Stangl?
2. What was Hitler's speech about, as detailed in the fist chapter of Part Two of the book?
3. What was Albert Hartl's experience while riding with Colonel Blobel?
4. Why were concentration camps originally set up as opposed to extermination camps, according to the author?
5. Why did Stangl stop in Chelm before going on to Sobibor?
6. What does the author describe for us about T4 and the facility used for T4 in the initial chapters of Part One of the book?
7. In the first interview what did we learn about Stangl's tour of duty?
8. How did Stangl's family come to stay in Chelm for a period of time while he was working at Sobibor?
9. Who was Franz Reichleitner whom Stangl saw upon arrival at Schloss Hartheim?
10. What are a couple of early objections to euthanasia policy in German government according to the author's history of development of the program?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stangl was assigned to Sobibor. How did that happen? Why didn't Stangl decline the assignment or at least get transferred once he was there? According to the book, what details were revealed to Stangl and others about Sobibor that showed the site to be an extermination camp? How did Stangl and the other workers handle that revelation?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between social Darwinism and the Euthanasia and Extermination Programmes as presented within the book.
Essay Topic 3
As Stangl described the killings and daily operations at the camps he oversaw, Sereny pointed out that she noticed the emergence of two Stangl identities. At several points in the biography Sereny observed that Stangl was one person when he was doing normal things and then another person when performing his "duties." Explain this dual personality as detailed in the book and then provide specific examples of each personality as observed or documented in the book.
This section contains 874 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)