|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the building being used for today that Stangl describes in detail about his conversation with Globocnik on the bench?
2. Just before a lunch break during the first interview, how long did the author listen to Stangl before telling him what she wanted from the interviews or she would not continue?
3. Gassing continued at which lettered institute and according to Suchomel this site existed until the end of the war, even as American's crossed the Rhine in 1945?
4. Why did Stangl think the Jews were exterminated?
5. Who was the former chief of the Church Information Service at the Reich Security Office?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Stangl reveal about his orders to report to T4 and his knowledge of T4's purpose?
2. What did the author learn about the former SS HQ when she visited the site in Lublin in March 1972?
3. What was the significance of placing all four death camps in Poland?
4. What are a couple of early objections to euthanasia policy in German government according to the author's history of development of the program?
5. How did Stanislaw Szmajzner become a goldsmith?
6. What did the Preface explain about why the author was doing this biography?
7. Why were concentration camps originally set up as opposed to extermination camps, according to the author?
8. Who was Brack in relation to T4 and Stangl?
9. What did the author mention about Hitler's new Europe from "Mein Kampf?"
10. What was Albert Hartl's experience while riding with Colonel Blobel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stangl was assigned to Sobibor. How did that happen? Why didn't Stangl decline the assignment or at least get transferred once he was there? According to the book, what details were revealed to Stangl and others about Sobibor that showed the site to be an extermination camp? How did Stangl and the other workers handle that revelation?
Essay Topic 2
Why were Western and Eastern Jews treated so differently at the camps? What were the differences in the two groups? How did these differences affect each groups' perceptions of the camps?
Essay Topic 3
What did the first few interviews of Stangl by Sereny reveal about Stangl's state of mind during the initial phase of the interview process? What details about Stangl's incarceration before the interviews began also provide a picture about Stangl's state of mind and what does this picture look like? Why did Sereny seem hopeful that interviews with Stangl would bear fruit once she discovered how bright and masterful Stangl appeared to be?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)