|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the special department created to handle Hitler's private affairs and personal petitions?
2. At what age did Stangl leave school to become a weaver apprentice?
3. According to Stangl when he was assigned to the T4 facility he was told that the "mercy killing" policies were already being done by law in Russia and where?
4. What is the name of the officer that revealed, in drunkenness, what went on at Sobibor to Stangl's wife?
5. What was the name of the young lawyer who was closely involved with the Euthanasia Programme, who became chief administrative officer at T4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was done in euthanasia institutes after T4 was officially stopped by Hitler?
2. What does the author describe for us about T4 and the facility used for T4 in the initial chapters of Part One of the book?
3. What was Hitler's speech about, as detailed in the fist chapter of Part Two of the book?
4. Who was Brack in relation to T4 and Stangl?
5. How did Stanislaw Szmajzner become a goldsmith?
6. Who was Franz Reichleitner whom Stangl saw upon arrival at Schloss Hartheim?
7. How did Stanislaw Szmajzner describe the Sobibor camp set-up?
8. Why did Stangl stop in Chelm before going on to Sobibor?
9. What did Stangl reveal about his orders to report to T4 and his knowledge of T4's purpose?
10. How did Professor Mayer end up writing the opinion about Catholic Church opposition to euthanasia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between social Darwinism and the Euthanasia and Extermination Programmes as presented within the book.
Essay Topic 2
As Stangl described the killings and daily operations at the camps he oversaw, Sereny pointed out that she noticed the emergence of two Stangl identities. At several points in the biography Sereny observed that Stangl was one person when he was doing normal things and then another person when performing his "duties." Explain this dual personality as detailed in the book and then provide specific examples of each personality as observed or documented in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Frau Stangl wanted her husband to escape his prison situation and he was reluctant. How did this compare to earlier in the book when a man told some Jews he has in the woods he would rather they run off than get killed, but the Jews came back anyway? How did Frau Stangl convince her husband to finally leave his prison situation?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)