|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Stangl was born in a small town in Austria on March 26th in what year?
2. What was the name of the priest in charge of the Catholic section of the Reich Church Ministry?
3. These two men, Jan Karski and Kurt Gerstein, described horrifying conditions at which death camp run by Wirth?
4. When the author met Stangl how long had he been in prison, which was mostly spent in solitary confinement?
5. Who was eventually commissioned to write the Euthanasia opposition opinion regarding the Catholic Church?
Short Essay Questions
1. What events occurred in Stangl's life after he became a policeman, but just before the Nazis invaded his homeland?
2. How did Stangl's family come to stay in Chelm for a period of time while he was working at Sobibor?
3. What did the author mention about Hitler's new Europe from "Mein Kampf?"
4. Who was Franz Reichleitner whom Stangl saw upon arrival at Schloss Hartheim?
5. As one of five men with medals, why was Stangl anxious within three days of the Nazis invading Austria?
6. Only who had a chance of surviving the four death camps and how many actually survived?
7. What was Hitler's speech about, as detailed in the fist chapter of Part Two of the book?
8. What does the author describe for us about T4 and the facility used for T4 in the initial chapters of Part One of the book?
9. What were the sleeping arrangements at Sobibor the first few weeks after Stangl arrived?
10. Why did Stangl feel betrayed by testimony at his trial from Stanislaw Szmajzner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why were Western and Eastern Jews treated so differently at the camps? What were the differences in the two groups? How did these differences affect each groups' perceptions of the camps?
Essay Topic 2
How did Wirth's two week visit to Treblinka affect the camp? The victims? Stangl? The missing "loot"?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between social Darwinism and the Euthanasia and Extermination Programmes as presented within the book.
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)