|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, what was the name of the Bishop in Rome who assisted Stangl with his papers and escape?
2. What is the name of the Polish diplomat who wrote a book about Pope Pius XII, entitled "Pius XII a Polski 1939-1949?"
3. Jewish Socialist Bund leader Szmul Zygielbojm escaped from where, after his wife and children were killed, before broadcasting the horrors of Jewish extermination as a witness on the BBC?
4. After trying to get himself reassigned at the Linz police station at the end of the war, Stangl was denied and sent to where?
5. What Polish Jew and his family were shipped to Treblinka in November 1942, and within the hour all of his family was killed except him?
(a) Richard Glazar.
(b) Karel Unger.
(c) Joe Siedlecki.
(d) Berek Rojzman.
6. Shortly after Stangl's wife found him in a prison in Bad Ischl, he was transferred to a huge camp where?
(a) In Glasenbach.
(b) In Vienna.
(c) In Hof.
(d) In Dusseldorf.
7. In October of 1942 who formed a war crimes commission?
(b) Great Britain.
(c) United Nations.
(d) United States.
8. The author stayed with a camp survivor and his family at their farmhouse in Switzerland in what year?
9. Stangl described Treblinka's horrors upon his arrival as what?
(b) Unimaginable horror!
(c) Dante's Inferno.
(d) Hell on earth.
10. Following his prison escape, Stangl made it to Rome and encountered a former comrade who had been in the security police in ____.
11. What was the name of Hitler's interpreter in Rome who described Hitler as "incredibly receptive to information?"
(a) Count Galen.
(b) Dr. Brandt.
(c) Dr. Dollmann.
(d) Monsieur Papee.
12. A boy named Edek arrived in Treblinka at the age of fourteen and was allowed to live and entertain the camp with his one possession, which was what?
(a) A harmonica.
(b) A banjo.
(c) An accordian.
(d) A small drum.
13. By what name did Stangl's wife often refer to him during conversations with the author?
14. In what year did the Vatican begin publication of the volumes containing a variety of documents related to events occurring between 1939 and 1945?
15. Who was the Bishop of Munster who engaged in public protest of Hitler's anti-Church and Euthanasia activities in 1941?
Short Answer Questions
1. What Czech survivor now residing in the US was best friends with Glazar in the camps?
2. Camp survivors who were witnesses at Stangl's trial included Glazar, Unger, Strawczynski and _____?
3. Forty men were assigned to Treblinka but only how many worked there at a time?
4. In August 1944, when the bombings in Wels became very bad, where did Stangl's wife and kids move to?
5. How long was the round trip from the flat to prison when Stangl's wife said she took him food parcels?
This section contains 476 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)