|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who died in Mrs. Sen's family?
2. Where does Dev tell his wife he is going on Sundays?
3. What did the doctors say was Bibi's actual ailment?
4. What does Miranda purchase at the department store on the day she meets Dev?
5. What did the neighbors say prospective in-laws would do to Bibi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Bibi when her cousin's wife becomes pregnant?
2. Describe where and how Mrs. Sen practices her driving.
3. How do Sanjeev and Twinkle meet and end up marrying each other?
4. How do the neighbor's protest Haldar's treatment of Bibi?
5. After meeting Dev, what does Miranda find out about him?
6. What purchases does Miranda make because she thinks they are things a mistress would buy?
7. What changes about Mrs. Sen's behavior during the month of November?
8. Describe who is invited to Twinkle and Sanjeev's housewarming party.
9. Describe Bibi Haldar.
10. What did Twinkle find on the first day her new home? How does Sanjeev's reaction to these newly found items differ from Twinkle's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary on American life is Lahiri making through the plots and characters of her collection of stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the imagery presented by buildings, houses and monuments in all the stories.
Essay Topic 3
Feeling like an outsider is a recurring theme in the stories. Discuss this theme and how is shown using aspects of three or more of the stories in The Interpreter of Maladies.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)