|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which one of the following has NOT been consulted on Bibi's behalf?
2. What does Miranda purchase at the department store on the day she meets Dev?
3. What did Haldar and his wife feel a wedding for Bibi would be?
4. Where do Laxmi and Miranda work?
5. What time of day does Dev's wife call him from India?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is found during the housewarming party Sanjeev and Twinkle have for Sanjeev's friends?
2. Describe who is invited to Twinkle and Sanjeev's housewarming party.
3. Describe Bibi Haldar.
4. Why are whole, fresh fish important to Mrs. Sen?
5. What happens when Mrs. Sen tries to drive to the fish market with Elliot?
6. What did Twinkle find on the first day her new home? How does Sanjeev's reaction to these newly found items differ from Twinkle's?
7. What does Twinkle find in the yard of her new house, and how did their reactions to this item once again differ?
8. What do Dev and Miranda do one day when they are walking around Boston? What does Dev tell her during this outing?
9. What sad story does Laxmi tell Miranda about her cousin's marriage?
10. Why does Elliot like going to Mrs. Sen's in the afternoons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the word "sexy" and its shades of meaning in the story "Sexy."
Essay Topic 2
What role does food play in each of the stories, both as a cultural icon and as sustenance?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the narrator in "The Third and Final Continent is an archetype of the male Indian-American immigrant and the irony presented by the dream he has for his son.
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)