|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Sen do all her vegetable chopping each afternoon?
2. Where do Laxmi and Miranda work?
3. Where do Elliot and his mother live?
4. Where did Sanjeev go to college?
5. What does Bibi get very worked up about finding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Bibi Haldar.
2. Why are whole, fresh fish important to Mrs. Sen?
3. How do Sanjeev and Twinkle meet and end up marrying each other?
4. What purchases does Miranda make because she thinks they are things a mistress would buy?
5. After meeting Dev, what does Miranda find out about him?
6. Why does Elliot like going to Mrs. Sen's in the afternoons?
7. What sad story does Laxmi tell Miranda about her cousin's marriage?
8. What ends up happening to Bibi after her cousin abandons her?
9. What changes about Mrs. Sen's behavior during the month of November?
10. What happens to Bibi when her cousin's wife becomes pregnant?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does food play in each of the stories, both as a cultural icon and as sustenance?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the word "sexy" and its shades of meaning in the story "Sexy."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how each story contains a character with a "malady" that is misinterpreted.
This section contains 965 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)