|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Mr. Kapasi calculate it will be before he receives mail from Mrs. Das?
2. What is Mrs. Dalal's reaction to her husband bring home the two basins?
3. What is Lilia's father's occupation?
4. What month does Shoba's mother come for a visit?
5. In what city does "A Real Durwan" take place?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Mr. Pirzada returns to Pakistan?
2. Why does Shukumar not look forward to the weekends when Shoba is home?
3. What happens to Boori Ma when the wives of the building decide to make improvements while the Dalals are out of town?
4. What would Mr. Kapasi like to be doing for work?
5. Why isn't Mrs. Dalal pleased with what Mr. Dalal does for her when he gets a promotion?
6. What do Shoba and Shukumar tell each other the second night of the telling game?
7. Without the Dalals around to protect her, what happens to Boori Ma?
8. What devastating secret does Shukumar tell Shoba during the telling game to hurt her?
9. What does Shoba tell Shukumar on the night the power is restored?
10. How do the Das family look to Mr. Kapasi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What commentary on American life is Lahiri making through the plots and characters of her collection of stories?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of symbolic objects throughout all the stories. Choose five particular objects to discuss how they were used symbolically to illuminate themes, distinguish characters and advance the plot.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the word "sexy" and its shades of meaning in the story "Sexy."
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)