|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What phrase accompanied all of Boori Ma's stories?
2. What does Mr. Pirzada do each time he enters the home of Lilia's family?
3. Lilia's father explains to her that the British gave independence to India in what year?
4. What is Shoba's occupation in "A Temporary Matter"?
5. How did the residents of the building know Boori Ma was a refugee?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the residents of the building think about Boori Ma?
2. How do the Das family look to Mr. Kapasi?
3. Why isn't Mrs. Dalal pleased with what Mr. Dalal does for her when he gets a promotion?
4. What is similar between the Das marriage and the Kapasi marriage?
5. What do Shukumar and Shoba do the first night the power is turned off?
6. What do Shoba and Shukumar tell each other the second night of the telling game?
7. What happens to Boori Ma when the wives of the building decide to make improvements while the Dalals are out of town?
8. What are the national distinctions between Pakistan and India that Lilia is unaware of?
9. What does the power outage remind Shoba of from her childhood?
10. Who is Boori Ma and what does she do for a living?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the narrator in "The Third and Final Continent is an archetype of the male Indian-American immigrant and the irony presented by the dream he has for his son.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the word "sexy" and its shades of meaning in the story "Sexy."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the different marriages presented in the stories. What aspects of the marriages are due to culture and what aspects transcend culture differences?
This section contains 954 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)