|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Mr. Pirzada is from what city in Pakistan?
2. Mr. Pirzada's daughters' names all start with what letter?
3. How did the residents of the building know Boori Ma was a refugee?
4. What did Shoba give Shukumar for their first wedding anniversary?
5. What does Mr. Pirzada do each time he enters the home of Lilia's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Lilia returns from trick-or-treating?
2. Why does the Das family tour take a trip into the hills of Udayagiri?
3. Why isn't Mrs. Dalal pleased with what Mr. Dalal does for her when he gets a promotion?
4. What does Shoba tell Shukumar on the night the power is restored?
5. What are the rituals Mr. Pirzada follows nightly?
6. Without the Dalals around to protect her, what happens to Boori Ma?
7. What do Shukumar and Shoba do the first night the power is turned off?
8. What do the residents of the building think about Boori Ma?
9. What problems do the two new basins purchased by Mr. Dalal cause in Boori Ma's building?
10. What does Mr. Kapasi think of Mr. and Mrs. Das as parents?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the different marriages presented in the stories. What aspects of the marriages are due to culture and what aspects transcend culture differences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the narrator in "The Third and Final Continent is an archetype of the male Indian-American immigrant and the irony presented by the dream he has for his son.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the characters of The Interpreter of Maladies encompass both the best and worst aspects of American and Indian cultures.
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)