|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Das do in the car as her family drives through In India?
2. What is the final secret Shoba reveals to Shukumar?
3. Mr. Kapasi thinks the Das couple acts like what?
4. What is Shoba's occupation in "A Temporary Matter"?
5. What does Mr. Pirzada give Lilia for Halloween?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Shukumar and Shoba do the first night the power is turned off?
2. Why does Shukumar not look forward to the weekends when Shoba is home?
3. What are the rituals Mr. Pirzada follows nightly?
4. Why is the electricity being turned off in Shoba and Shukumar's neighborhood in "A Temporary Matter"?
5. What does Lilia do with the candy after Mr. Pirzada returns to Dacca?
6. What do the residents of the building think about Boori Ma?
7. What happens after Mr. Pirzada returns to Pakistan?
8. What are the national distinctions between Pakistan and India that Lilia is unaware of?
9. What do Shoba and Shukumar tell each other the second night of the telling game?
10. What is similar between the Das marriage and the Kapasi marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the imagery presented by buildings, houses and monuments in all the stories.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the narrator in "The Third and Final Continent is an archetype of the male Indian-American immigrant and the irony presented by the dream he has for his son.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the "telling game" was used to further both the plot and the themes of "A Temporary Matter."
This section contains 850 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)