Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the electricity being turned off in Shoba and Shukumar's neighborhood in "A Temporary Matter"?
2. What happens when Shukumar attends an academic conference in Baltimore during Shoba's pregnancy?
3. Why does Shukumar not look forward to the weekends when Shoba is home?
4. What do Shukumar and Shoba do the first night the power is turned off?
5. What does the power outage remind Shoba of from her childhood?
6. What do Shoba and Shukumar tell each other the second night of the telling game?
7. What does Shoba tell Shukumar on the night the power is restored?
8. What devastating secret does Shukumar tell Shoba during the telling game to hurt her?
9. What are the national distinctions between Pakistan and India that Lilia is unaware of?
10. What are the rituals Mr. Pirzada follows nightly?
11. Why does Lilia say a prayer for Mr. Pirzada's family?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)