|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The concern is the ____________ of the dream as it translates abstract dream thoughts into colors and images.
2. Which dreams appear alarming but are actually wish fulfillment dreams?
3. Who is the author of the theory of the nerve-stimulus dream?
4. Each image must be replaced with a ______ that will adequately represent the individual element.
5. Dreams can be pointing to a ___________ or to history.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud says that other theories for dream interpretation are illogical or they refute the value of dreams altogether. This leaves the world with few tools to help with dream interpretation. What does this seem to say about Freud? How does this lack of tools then affect those who are interested in dream interpretation? Why does Freud find the two limited methods of dream interpretation to be worthless?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of nerve stimuli from outside sources is one that Freud discusses at length. Give an example of what nerve stimuli means to a dream. What are some ways this can affect the dreamer and the dream itself? Does Freud believe these stimuli hurt or help a dreamer? Is the result of dream stimuli a valid part of the dream? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Freud has always been a controversial figure in psychology and yet he is revered at the same time. What ideas in this book seem to support his reputation as a bit of a renegade? What ideas in this book seem to solidify his reputation as someone who has a lot to contribute to the field? In the end, how does this book change your perception of Freud? Does it change your perception at all? Why or why not?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)