|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dreamer either feels no ___________ to dream content or feels the _________ emotions as a response to the content.
2. In interpreting dreams, the elements that are uncovered must be seen as a _________ whole.
3. The discussion of calculating dreams is to prove that dreams do not ____________, but merely include numbers and the art of calculating.
4. Each symbol in the dream relates or refers to the dreamer's life and _______ state.
5. The response to stimuli is __________ because the dreaming brain has only brain activity with which to respond.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud notes that death dreams are actually wish fulfillment dreams. How does Freud explain this idea? Do you agree with this idea? Why or why not? What are some other interpretations that could be given for death dreams? Using Freud's ideas and theories, what would a dream about birth then mean? Would it have the opposite interpretation or the same one?
Essay Topic 2
Wish fulfillment is another term Freud brings up and discusses at length. Define this term and create a description of a dream in which this process is taking place. What does this mean for the dreamer? What are some examples of wish fulfillment dreams as stated in the book? Does this dream concept make sense to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols are a big part of dream interpretation. Using one dream in Freud's book, list all of the symbols you can find. Then, create your own interpretations of each of these symbols. Knowing these interpretations, what can you ascertain about the meaning of the dream you have chosen? Without these symbols, what would you have interpreted the dream to mean?
This section contains 1,451 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)