|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the theory of the nerve-stimulus dream?
2. In interpreting dreams, the elements that are uncovered must be seen as a _________ whole.
3. Which of these is NOT a form of stimuli?
4. Freud uses the dream to discuss the _____ of the problematic nature of dream interpretation.
5. Each image must be replaced with a ______ that will adequately represent the individual element.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud often uses his own dreams in order to support his theories about dream interpretation. Does this make sense? Is it good science? Why or why not? What presumptions does Freud make when he uses his own dreams? Would it have been a better idea to use only patient dreams? Why or why not? Do Freud's own interpretations seem to work too perfectly with his theories? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define manifest vs. latent dream content. What do these mean and how can they be used in dream interpretation? Are both necessary for dream interpretation? Why or why not? Give examples of each kind of dream content for one dream Freud describes in this book. What is the value of each of these types of dream content?
Essay Topic 3
Freud says that other theories for dream interpretation are illogical or they refute the value of dreams altogether. This leaves the world with few tools to help with dream interpretation. What does this seem to say about Freud? How does this lack of tools then affect those who are interested in dream interpretation? Why does Freud find the two limited methods of dream interpretation to be worthless?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)