|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The true nature of ______ is not recognized in the dream, but is usually mistaken for something else.
2. Freud says that writers neglect to include or make less important the somatic dream stimuli if they involve any ________ activity.
3. Freud begins this chapter with a discussion of ___________.
4. This displacement is also carried out as a _____________ of condensing.
5. A __________ interpretation is required once the initial interpretation of a dream is done.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud concedes at one point that there are limitations to symbolic dream interpretation. Why does he feel this way? What are some of the limitations that you see to symbolic dream interpretation? What can these limitations cause? How can these limitations be overcome? Can they? Can symbols be standardized, for example?
Essay Topic 2
Freud has always been a controversial figure in psychology and yet he is revered at the same time. What ideas in this book seem to support his reputation as a bit of a renegade? What ideas in this book seem to solidify his reputation as someone who has a lot to contribute to the field? In the end, how does this book change your perception of Freud? Does it change your perception at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
The idea of the censor in our lives is brought up by Freud. What does Freud mean by a this? What are some examples of ways that the censor gets in the way of a person? What ways can we avoid the censor? Is a censor a good or a bad thing? Or both? Why? What are some real life examples you can give of censors in your own life?
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)