|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dreamer's ________ typical stimuli is never consistent.
2. Dream interpretation must not be based on ________ or exaggerated assumptions.
3. Dreams can be pointing to a ___________ or to history.
4. The concern is the ____________ of the dream as it translates abstract dream thoughts into colors and images.
5. What can threaten to undermine the very foundation of our efforts at dream interpretation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams, as Freud believes, are considered to be foreign to our everyday lives and experiences. However, is this the case? In everyday life, we might have one experience and then dream about that same experience. Does this support the idea of dreams being foreign? What do you think Freud means by that? Can you give one example in which dreams become foreign in relation to real life?
Essay Topic 2
Freud believes that the interpretation of dreams can yield powerful results for patients. Why does he believe this? How does Freud think dream interpretation will help patients? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? Give three examples of ways dreams could help patients.
Essay Topic 3
Define manifest vs. latent dream content. What do these mean and how can they be used in dream interpretation? Are both necessary for dream interpretation? Why or why not? Give examples of each kind of dream content for one dream Freud describes in this book. What is the value of each of these types of dream content?
This section contains 260 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)