Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freud does admit that some dreams contain symbols the are responding to ____________ stimuli.
2. Everything in dreams that seems to be _________ is not but is instead what Freud considers dream thoughts that find their way completely as latent dream content.
3. Freud thinks there is a difficulty in using dream examples when they are related out of ___________.
4. When the dream has been _______, that's when the dream can be changed.
5. The means by which dreams are represented do NOT include:
Essay Topic 1
Symbols are a big part of dream interpretation. Using one dream in Freud's book, list all of the symbols you can find. Then, create your own interpretations of each of these symbols. Knowing these interpretations, what can you ascertain about the meaning of the dream you have chosen? Without these symbols, what would you have interpreted the dream to mean?
Essay Topic 2
Freud states that the relationship between the dreaming and the waking state is contradictory and unable to be resolved. Why does he say this? What examples of contradictory features does Freud offer? Do you agree with Freud? Why or why not? Is there a way to resolve these two states? How? Do you feel that naming these two states is necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Freud concedes at one point that there are limitations to symbolic dream interpretation. Why does he feel this way? What are some of the limitations that you see to symbolic dream interpretation? What can these limitations cause? How can these limitations be overcome? Can they? Can symbols be standardized, for example?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)