|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freud does admit that some dreams contain symbols the are responding to ____________ stimuli.
2. Which of these is NOT considered to be a source of dreams, according to laymen?
3. The means by which dreams are represented do NOT include:
4. What kind of nature of a dream could be described as representations in allegory form?
5. Another dreamer dreams of a child with a deformed ___________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud brings up the idea of the subconscious, the pre-conscious, and the unconscious in this book. What are the definitions of each? How do these terms relate to each other? How do these terms relate to the dream interpretation process? What do these states have to offer the dreamer in their everyday life? Does the separation of thought patterns complicate life or make it easier? Why?
Essay Topic 2
The idea of the censor in our lives is brought up by Freud. What does Freud mean by a this? What are some examples of ways that the censor gets in the way of a person? What ways can we avoid the censor? Is a censor a good or a bad thing? Or both? Why? What are some real life examples you can give of censors in your own life?
Essay Topic 3
Define manifest vs. latent dream content. What do these mean and how can they be used in dream interpretation? Are both necessary for dream interpretation? Why or why not? Give examples of each kind of dream content for one dream Freud describes in this book. What is the value of each of these types of dream content?
This section contains 290 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)