|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which dreams appear alarming but are actually wish fulfillment dreams?
2. The dreamer's ________ typical stimuli is never consistent.
3. The means by which dreams are represented do NOT include:
4. The concern is the ____________ of the dream as it translates abstract dream thoughts into colors and images.
5. Dreams can be pointing to a ___________ or to history.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud makes a point to say that one's morality will persist in dreams, but at the same time, dreams can include events that occur outside of one's morality. What do you think this contradiction means? What do you feel happens when dreams include immoral ideas and actions? Are these dreams a reflection of the dreamer? Why or why not? If so, what are these dreams saying about the dreamer?
Essay Topic 2
Symbols are a big part of dream interpretation. Using one dream in Freud's book, list all of the symbols you can find. Then, create your own interpretations of each of these symbols. Knowing these interpretations, what can you ascertain about the meaning of the dream you have chosen? Without these symbols, what would you have interpreted the dream to mean?
Essay Topic 3
Freud states that the relationship between the dreaming and the waking state is contradictory and unable to be resolved. Why does he say this? What examples of contradictory features does Freud offer? Do you agree with Freud? Why or why not? Is there a way to resolve these two states? How? Do you feel that naming these two states is necessary? Why or why not?
This section contains 286 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)