|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The dreamer of the dream in #134 also noted that the answer was throwing __________ at her.
2. One thought is represented and extended through the dream by way of associated imagery, much in the same way ________ does, according to Freud.
3. The dream is an amalgamation of many kinds of __________, according to Freud.
4. These symbols must be translated ______________.
5. The _________ is the element in dreams that frees dreamers to speak untruths.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wish fulfillment is another term Freud brings up and discusses at length. Define this term and create a description of a dream in which this process is taking place. What does this mean for the dreamer? What are some examples of wish fulfillment dreams as stated in the book? Does this dream concept make sense to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Freud states that the relationship between the dreaming and the waking state is contradictory and unable to be resolved. Why does he say this? What examples of contradictory features does Freud offer? Do you agree with Freud? Why or why not? Is there a way to resolve these two states? How? Do you feel that naming these two states is necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Freud creates a list of symbols that could be used to find sexually latent content in dreams. What are some of the symbols he shares and their meanings? Do you agree with his findings? What other symbols do you feel could be used to extrapolate a sexual meaning? What does the focus on sex seem to say abut Freud?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)