|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Everything in dreams that seems to be _________ is not but is instead what Freud considers dream thoughts that find their way completely as latent dream content.
2. What is very common as Freud states occurs in absurd dreams?
3. Freud also discusses the ____________ of dream content.
4. The bulk of dream interpretation is done on the __________ content.
5. Whose findings does Freud cite at the beginning of this chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dreams, as Freud believes, are considered to be foreign to our everyday lives and experiences. However, is this the case? In everyday life, we might have one experience and then dream about that same experience. Does this support the idea of dreams being foreign? What do you think Freud means by that? Can you give one example in which dreams become foreign in relation to real life?
Essay Topic 2
Freud has always been a controversial figure in psychology and yet he is revered at the same time. What ideas in this book seem to support his reputation as a bit of a renegade? What ideas in this book seem to solidify his reputation as someone who has a lot to contribute to the field? In the end, how does this book change your perception of Freud? Does it change your perception at all? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Symbols are a big part of dream interpretation. Using one dream in Freud's book, list all of the symbols you can find. Then, create your own interpretations of each of these symbols. Knowing these interpretations, what can you ascertain about the meaning of the dream you have chosen? Without these symbols, what would you have interpreted the dream to mean?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)