|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these is NOT considered to be a source of dreams, according to laymen?
2. Who said dreams appear without actual or appropriate emotional value?
3. Manifest dream content presents itself as symbols, which Freud calls _______________,
4. Freud also discusses the ____________ of dream content.
5. Each image must be replaced with a ______ that will adequately represent the individual element.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wish fulfillment is another term Freud brings up and discusses at length. Define this term and create a description of a dream in which this process is taking place. What does this mean for the dreamer? What are some examples of wish fulfillment dreams as stated in the book? Does this dream concept make sense to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Freud often uses his own dreams in order to support his theories about dream interpretation. Does this make sense? Is it good science? Why or why not? What presumptions does Freud make when he uses his own dreams? Would it have been a better idea to use only patient dreams? Why or why not? Do Freud's own interpretations seem to work too perfectly with his theories? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
When dreams include actions the dreamer wants to take, but does not, the idea of responsibility becomes a point to consider. Do you feel that these kinds of dreams are a way for a dreamer to avoid taking real life action? Why or why not? Are there instances in which dreams can cause external action in waking life? Give an example of a time in which a dream spurred you on or give an example of a dream that you enjoy having but have not acted upon.
This section contains 1,420 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)