|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The answer to #152 is not directed at the ________ itself but is applied appropriately to the dream content as a response by the dreamer.
2. The means by which dreams are represented do NOT include:
3. The dream is an amalgamation of many kinds of __________, according to Freud.
4. What comment does Freud cite as an example of #153?
5. Dreams can be pointing to a ___________ or to history.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud concedes at one point that there are limitations to symbolic dream interpretation. Why does he feel this way? What are some of the limitations that you see to symbolic dream interpretation? What can these limitations cause? How can these limitations be overcome? Can they? Can symbols be standardized, for example?
Essay Topic 2
Freud makes a point to say that one's morality will persist in dreams, but at the same time, dreams can include events that occur outside of one's morality. What do you think this contradiction means? What do you feel happens when dreams include immoral ideas and actions? Are these dreams a reflection of the dreamer? Why or why not? If so, what are these dreams saying about the dreamer?
Essay Topic 3
Freud brings up the idea of the subconscious, the pre-conscious, and the unconscious in this book. What are the definitions of each? How do these terms relate to each other? How do these terms relate to the dream interpretation process? What do these states have to offer the dreamer in their everyday life? Does the separation of thought patterns complicate life or make it easier? Why?
This section contains 295 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)