|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freud does admit that some dreams contain symbols the are responding to ____________ stimuli.
2. How many characteristics are specific to the nature of the dream?
3. The dreamer's ________ typical stimuli is never consistent.
4. Everything in dreams that seems to be _________ is not but is instead what Freud considers dream thoughts that find their way completely as latent dream content.
5. What occurs frequently for the dreamer in relation to the characteristics specific to the dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The idea of nerve stimuli from outside sources is one that Freud discusses at length. Give an example of what nerve stimuli means to a dream. What are some ways this can affect the dreamer and the dream itself? Does Freud believe these stimuli hurt or help a dreamer? Is the result of dream stimuli a valid part of the dream? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Freud brings up the idea of the subconscious, the pre-conscious, and the unconscious in this book. What are the definitions of each? How do these terms relate to each other? How do these terms relate to the dream interpretation process? What do these states have to offer the dreamer in their everyday life? Does the separation of thought patterns complicate life or make it easier? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Freud discusses the ideas of condensation, displacement and representation. Define each of these terms as Freud uses them and give examples of each. Which of these ideas do you agree with most in terms of dream interpretation? Why? With which of these terms do you not agree? Why?
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)