|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freud does admit that some dreams contain symbols the are responding to ____________ stimuli.
2. Everything in dreams that seems to be _________ is not but is instead what Freud considers dream thoughts that find their way completely as latent dream content.
3. Freud thinks there is a difficulty in using dream examples when they are related out of ___________.
4. When the dream has been _______, that's when the dream can be changed.
5. The means by which dreams are represented do NOT include:
Essay Topic 1
Define manifest vs. latent dream content. What do these mean and how can they be used in dream interpretation? Are both necessary for dream interpretation? Why or why not? Give examples of each kind of dream content for one dream Freud describes in this book. What is the value of each of these types of dream content?
Essay Topic 2
When dreams include actions the dreamer wants to take, but does not, the idea of responsibility becomes a point to consider. Do you feel that these kinds of dreams are a way for a dreamer to avoid taking real life action? Why or why not? Are there instances in which dreams can cause external action in waking life? Give an example of a time in which a dream spurred you on or give an example of a dream that you enjoy having but have not acted upon.
Essay Topic 3
The forgetting of dreams is a big topic of debate for Freud as he seems to believe it is not that dreams cannot be remembered, but that a patient's view of dreams is what stands in the way of his memory. What evidence does Freud offer to support this theory? Does he ever seem to contradict himself in this idea? What other reasons does Freud give for the forgetting of dreams? What do you personally believe makes one forget about dreams?
This section contains 1,441 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)