|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Another dreamer dreams of a child with a deformed ___________.
2. Freud begins this chapter with a discussion of ___________.
3. There is also mention of a dream in which a trip during a storm to a ____________ that is soaked through.
4. Freud notes that the nature of dreams as _____ items in which the intensity of the elements is displaced.
5. The final component of dream formation is the __________ expressed by the dreamer during the dream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freud believes that the interpretation of dreams can yield powerful results for patients. Why does he believe this? How does Freud think dream interpretation will help patients? Do you agree with him? Why or why not? Give three examples of ways dreams could help patients.
Essay Topic 2
Define manifest vs. latent dream content. What do these mean and how can they be used in dream interpretation? Are both necessary for dream interpretation? Why or why not? Give examples of each kind of dream content for one dream Freud describes in this book. What is the value of each of these types of dream content?
Essay Topic 3
Freud states that childhood memories may not be 'available' during our waking hours. Why would these memories not be available? Do you agree with Freud? Why or why not? What does Freud think the value of childhood memories is? How can the past be connected to the present? Why is the childhood such an important part of the dream interpretation process?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)