|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is never definite whether the dream is to be regarded as ____________ or ___________.
2. The bulk of dream interpretation is done on the __________ content.
3. One thought is represented and extended through the dream by way of associated imagery, much in the same way ________ does, according to Freud.
4. What proves the answer to #150?
5. The displacement is carried out as having relevance to the ____________ associations.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Wish fulfillment is another term Freud brings up and discusses at length. Define this term and create a description of a dream in which this process is taking place. What does this mean for the dreamer? What are some examples of wish fulfillment dreams as stated in the book? Does this dream concept make sense to you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Define manifest vs. latent dream content. What do these mean and how can they be used in dream interpretation? Are both necessary for dream interpretation? Why or why not? Give examples of each kind of dream content for one dream Freud describes in this book. What is the value of each of these types of dream content?
Essay Topic 3
The forgetting of dreams is a big topic of debate for Freud as he seems to believe it is not that dreams cannot be remembered, but that a patient's view of dreams is what stands in the way of his memory. What evidence does Freud offer to support this theory? Does he ever seem to contradict himself in this idea? What other reasons does Freud give for the forgetting of dreams? What do you personally believe makes one forget about dreams?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)