|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the pain in Layla’s cheek prevent her from doing?
(a) Going to work.
(b) Going out in public.
(c) Imagining that this is all a dream.
(d) Seeing her parents.
2. What counter-accusation does Layla make, when the others accuse her of causing trouble?
(a) That the others are begging her to step forward.
(b) That the others are afraid of Saleem and Fauzi.
(c) That the others deserve to suffer.
(d) That the others have not done anything.
3. Where are Layla’s parents when she returns to her trailer?
(a) They are in the neighboring trailer.
(b) They have been imprisoned.
(c) They are at the Mess.
(d) They are at work.
4. What does Khadijah auntie compare Layla to at morning roll call?
(a) A heartbeat.
(b) The sea.
5. How does the Director describe Layla when she is taken from his interrogation room?
(a) A parasite.
(b) The angel of death.
(c) The end of the internees’ hope.
(d) A plague.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do guards take Layla after the protest at the gate?
2. What injuries has Soheil suffered from the fasting protest?
3. What is Layla’s take-away from Jake’s warning?
4. Who was it who said the quote about what fascism will be wearing when it comes to America?
5. How many protestors stage the protest at the fence?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the factors that are leading the camp to a more confrontational footing?
2. What is the image Khadijah auntie recites to Layla, and what effect does it have?
3. What is the outcome of the protest Layla and her friends stage during the Red Cross visit?
4. How does Jake explain why he is going along with the Director’s illegal orders?
5. What is the threat that looms over Layla’s head, and how does she adjust herself to avoid it?
6. What circumstances lead to Soheil’s death?
7. Where is Layla interrogated again, after the interview in the Director’s office?
8. How does Layla’s resistance take root after the fast protest?
9. What does Layla tell the crowd when she gets the bullhorn, and what does she say about America?
10. What does the Director want from Layla when he calls her to his office?
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)