|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is present for Layla’s first meeting with the Director in his office?
(a) Red Cross observers.
(b) Her parents.
2. What does the pain in Layla’s cheek prevent her from doing?
(a) Imagining that this is all a dream.
(b) Going to work.
(c) Seeing her parents.
(d) Going out in public.
3. What excuse does Jake give for Layla being in the Mess when the Director catches them there?
(a) She was making a phone call.
(b) She lost her necklace.
(c) She was hungry.
(d) She got lost.
4. What do Layla and Fred talk Jake out of doing?
(a) Reporting the Director to higher authorities.
(b) Breaking down the camp’s fence.
(c) Sabotaging the camp’s security systems.
(d) Avenging the Director’s violence against Layla.
5. What time does the curfew go into effect after the fasting protest?
(a) 8 p.m.
(b) 7 p.m.
(c) 10 p.m.
(d) 9 p.m.
6. Where do Layla and Ayesha plan their activist actions?
(a) The garden.
(b) The Mess.
(c) Layla’s trailer.
(d) Ayesha’s trailer.
7. What does Jake confiscate from Layla after the confrontation with the Director?
(a) Her notebooks.
(b) The burner phone.
(c) Her access to garden tools.
(d) Her access to David.
8. Why does Fred say the Director is afraid of Layla?
(a) She has turned the guards against him.
(b) She cannot be disappeared.
(c) She has brought attention to the camp.
(d) She will mock him to the internees.
9. What warning does the Director give Layla after catching her in the Mess?
(a) He hears everything.
(b) He has absolute power of life and death.
(c) He will not be restrained.
(d) He sees everything.
10. How does the Director describe Layla when she is taken from his interrogation room?
(a) The end of the internees’ hope.
(b) A plague.
(c) A parasite.
(d) The angel of death.
11. Why does Layla say the Director needs control?
(a) Because he is a bully.
(b) Because he is a scientist.
(c) Because he is a bureaucrat.
(d) Because he is weak.
12. What instruction does Ahmed end the Author’s Note with?
(a) Pay attention.
(d) Show solidarity.
13. What does the Director offer Layla as an enticement?
(b) Travel privileges.
(c) Hot water.
14. Why does Jake tell the Director that Layla cannot disavow the article she had written?
(a) She still has freedom of speech.
(b) As an internee, she could not have access to see the article.
(c) She does not need to answer without a lawyer.
(d) As an internee, she could not have passed the article out of the camp.
15. Why does Layla refuse to tell her parents what she is planning?
(a) She says that it is better for them not to know.
(b) She says that they are out of their depth with this situation.
(c) She says that she does not want to upset them.
(d) She says that they would only turn her in.
Short Answer Questions
1. What American motto does Layla use to describe the crowd who march to the gate to demand the camp be closed?
2. What effect does the fasting protest have at dinner?
3. What does Jake tell Layla his mother loved?
4. Where are Layla’s parents when she returns to her trailer?
5. What does Layla describe in her first article about life in camp Mobius?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)