|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Brecht's first successful play?
2. What was the name of Gollancz'a wife?
3. What was the name of the American philosophy graduate who became Russell's secretary?
4. What event caused the breakup of Wilson's marriage to Mary McCarthy?
5. What was the name of Sartre's longtime mistress?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Bertrand Russell write so much?
2. Briefly describe the life of Dashiell Hammett, Hellman's long time lover.
3. What political views did Wilson adopt during the Great Depression?
4. How did Sartre feel towards America?
5. How did Hellman view her father?
6. Why was Hellman blacklisted from Hollywood in 1948?
7. What type of relationships did Gollancz have with people from the working class?
8. Why did Gollancz prefer to hire female employees?
9. Describe Brecht's childhood.
10. After Wilson's visit to Russia, what were his impressions of the country and people on his return home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the philosophy of existentialism and how it influenced society, both in the time of Jena-Paul Sartre and today.
Essay Topic 2
Johnson claims that Karl Marx's theories had more impact on people than any other intellectual. Discuss why this is and whether or not you agree with Johnson's conclusion.
Essay Topic 3
Is there an overarching moral to Intellectual, and if so, what is it and how does Johnson establish this moral?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)