|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Gollancz broke with the Communist, which party did he begin to support?
2. What was the name of Hellman's first hit play?
3. What is the name of the mystery writer with whom Hellman had a long time affair?
4. What title did Russell hold?
5. What honor did Gollancz receive in 1945?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationships did Gollancz have with people from the working class?
2. How did Hellman view her mother?
3. Describe the uniform Brecht devised for himself in developing of his persona.
4. According to Johnson, what did Orwell believe about what force had the power to shape the world.
5. How does Johnson describe Wilson's writings?
6. Describe Jean-Paul Sartre's appearance.
7. How did Sartre feel towards America?
8. Why did Russell like Mathematics?
9. What event caused Orwell to realize that the left was capable of injustice and cruelty of kind almost unknown?
10. Describe Orwell's appearance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnson suggests that many of the thinkers could not relate or communicate with people, but were great at sympathizing with ideas. Using textual evidence, identify at least three thinkers who sympathized with ideas rather than actual people and explain how this was manifested.
Essay Topic 2
Johnson spend a lot of time discussing how each Intellectual saw himself, and how each defined their role in relation to mankind. Select two different Intellectuals compare and contrast using textual evidence the self image each had and what effect they hoped to achieve in the world.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that Johnson identifies between several Intellectuals is how they championed people in the masses or as an idea, but they could not deal with people or empathize with them individually. Select at least three intellectuals that embody this theme and elaborate on how Johnson establishes it through their works, statements, and biographical information.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)