|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Gollancz'a wife?
2. How did Wilson's second wife die?
3. What year did Wilson die?
4. What was the name of Sartre's first philosophical novel published in 1938?
5. Which of these was not a critique written by Orwell about Connolly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hellman view her father?
2. What activity of Russell's resulted in a mock War Crimes Tribunal held in Stockholm?
3. How did Hellman view her mother?
4. What political views did Wilson adopt during the Great Depression?
5. Why did Gollancz prefer to hire female employees?
6. What importance did Sartre place upon literature and letters?
7. Describe the uniform Brecht devised for himself in developing of his persona.
8. How does Johnson describe Wilson's writings?
9. What redeeming quality does Johnson specifically note of Brecht?
10. Describe Brecht's childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnson spend a lot of time discussing how each Intellectual saw himself, and how each defined their role in relation to mankind. Select two different Intellectuals compare and contrast using textual evidence the self image each had and what effect they hoped to achieve in the world.
Essay Topic 2
Johnson suggests that many of the thinkers could not relate or communicate with people, but were great at sympathizing with ideas. Using textual evidence, identify at least three thinkers who sympathized with ideas rather than actual people and explain how this was manifested.
Essay Topic 3
One theme that Johnson identifies between several Intellectuals is how they championed people in the masses or as an idea, but they could not deal with people or empathize with them individually. Select at least three intellectuals that embody this theme and elaborate on how Johnson establishes it through their works, statements, and biographical information.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)