|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What about Orwell's lifestyle was unlike other intellectuals or writers?
2. What job did Hellman have with Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer in 1929?
3. What year did Sartre die?
4. What enabled Wilson financially to travel to Russia?
5. What did Brecht request to have done with his remains upon his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of relationship did Wilson have with other writers?
2. Why was Hellman blacklisted from Hollywood in 1948?
3. What made Sartre famous in 1944?
4. Describe Brecht's childhood.
5. Briefly describe the life of Dashiell Hammett, Hellman's long time lover.
6. Describe the uniform Brecht devised for himself in developing of his persona.
7. What redeeming quality does Johnson specifically note of Brecht?
8. Why did Gollancz prefer to hire female employees?
9. How did Sartre feel towards America?
10. How did Hellman view her father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Johnson states that Hemingway invented a new type of writing style that affect the rest of American writers. Identify this style and how it would go onto influence other intellectual using textual examples from Intellectuals.
Essay Topic 2
Johnson identifies rebellion against convention as a motivation for most intellectuals. Selecting several intellectuals and using textual evidence describe how their philosophy could be viewed as a rebellion against pervading society and describe how it changed the way people looked at conventions.
Essay Topic 3
One recurrent theme in Intellectual is that of self promotion at all costs, even using false information and media tactics to create a persona. Using specific textual examples discuss how at least two intellectuals embodied this idea of self promotion and executed the development of their persona.
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)