|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Waugh describe society?
2. What desire did Wilson's mother have for him?
3. What year did Russell die?
4. How many wives did Wilson have?
5. Which of these was not a critique written by Orwell about Connolly?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Hellman view her father?
2. What business arrangements did Brecht make for himself in 1949 that gave him artistic freedom as well as great revenue?
3. What political views did Wilson adopt during the Great Depression?
4. Describe Jean-Paul Sartre's appearance.
5. How did Gollancz typically make his agreements with authors?
6. What did Orwell think of fellow intellectuals in comparison to the poor?
7. What type of relationships did Gollancz have with people from the working class?
8. Why did Russell like Mathematics?
9. How did Hellman view her mother?
10. Briefly describe the life of Dashiell Hammett, Hellman's long time lover.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in depth how several intellectuals used artistic works to make political statements and how these statements were received by the public.
Essay Topic 2
According to Johnson, define a "man of letter's" and contrast this with Johnson's definition of an intellectual. What individuals in the book could be label man of letters and why?
Essay Topic 3
Johnson states that Hemingway invented a new type of writing style that affect the rest of American writers. Identify this style and how it would go onto influence other intellectual using textual examples from Intellectuals.
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)