|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Shelley die?
2. Which benefactress of Rousseau died of malnutrition after he refused to help her in her old age?
3. Where is Rousseau buried?
4. What is the name of Marx's daughter, who became a mistress of Edward Aveling?
5. What is the name of Marx's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What personal hygiene habits did Hemingway have?
2. When Marx wrote poetry as a child, what was the content of his creations?
3. What effect did Ernst Hemingway have upon American culture?
4. Describe Ibsen's appearance.
5. Describe one of Hemingway's wives in appearance and personality.
6. How did Ibsen interact with women?
7. Why could it be argued that Karl Marx is the intellectual who has had the most impact on people?
8. How was Emerson viewed in his time?
9. Describe Harriet Shelley.
10. How did Marx believe that Socialism would come about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One theme that Johnson identifies between several Intellectuals is how they championed people in the masses or as an idea, but they could not deal with people or empathize with them individually. Select at least three intellectuals that embody this theme and elaborate on how Johnson establishes it through their works, statements, and biographical information.
Essay Topic 2
What was Johnson's definition of an intellectual? What was his criteria for one and how to the people mentioned in the book match with this criteria?
Essay Topic 3
Johnson suggests that many of the thinkers could not relate or communicate with people, but were great at sympathizing with ideas. Using textual evidence, identify at least three thinkers who sympathized with ideas rather than actual people and explain how this was manifested.
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)