|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would receive Shelley's title of baronet?
2. What was the name of the estate that Tolstoy inherited from his mother?
3. What year did Tolstoy die?
4. What was the name of the US Ambassador that gave him a job to look out for German U-boats?
5. For which American newspaper did Marx work as a European correspondent for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What type of soldier was Tolstoy?
2. How did Ibsen feel about medals and awards?
3. What arrangement did Shelley attempt to make with his women counterparts, that never worked?
4. What type of relationship did Marx have with the working class?
5. Describe Rousseau's family life in his youth.
6. What comparison can be made between the views of Emerson and the views of Marx?
7. Hemingway was particularly prone to accidents - what were some of the most severe?
8. What duty did Percy Bysshe Shelley believe that the enlightened man had to society?
9. Describe Harriet Shelley.
10. Describe one of Hemingway's wives in appearance and personality.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Intellectuals suggests that many great thinkers have uncommon or dysfunctional personal or family relationships. Using textual evidence, identify at least three thinkers who had uncommon family relationships and discuss how this effected their work and their personal life, comparing and contrasting each thinker with the other.
Essay Topic 2
Intellectuals suggests that Ibsen addressed social conventions and changed the way society viewed personal freedoms. What social conventions did Ibsen draw attention to, and how did his view of personal freedom affect society and other intellectuals mentioned in the book?
Essay Topic 3
A recurrent theme in Intellectuals is the idea of egotism and vanity and how it motivated several intellectuals and affected their self-awareness. Discuss how Johnson draw attention to this theme through individual intellectuals.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)