|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who marries in Sparta in a wonderful ceremony?
2. What is the plan offered in the men's hall to choose the suitor?
3. Who does not swear the oath of the suitors?
4. Which character joyfully shares stories of love after marriage?
5. In Part 1, Chapter 5, who stalls making a decision on marriage by staging hunts instead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Helen in Part 1, Chapter 1.
2. What happens during negotiations between the Greeks and the Trojans?
3. What gifts does Theseus send to the newly married couple?
4. What news does Penelope receive that troubles her?
5. What do the women of Troy like about the Spartan queen when they first meet her?
6. What is the dream the visionary character has about war?
7. How does the public respond to the visionary character?
8. Describe the events that unfold at the dinner banquet.
9. In response to one twin's fearful vision, what does the other twin suggest as a plan of action?
10. What is the transformation that happens to Helen after she leaves home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The point of view in the story is generally that of Helen, Cassandra, or other women but sometimes shifts to other characters. Give an examples of where it shifts and how that affects the telling of the story.
Essay Topic 2
Patroclus' death at the hand of Hector is a huge turning point in the story and immediately foreshadows destruction to come. Describe how this happens.
Essay Topic 3
Both Helen and Penelope are important female characters in the beginning of the book.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events that Penelope has a direct influence upon? What are some events that Helen has a direct influence upon?
Part 3) Which character wields more influence in society? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)