|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has a painful vision of the death of a Trojan prince?
2. Which character has thirteen suitors?
3. Who sees the fleeing lovers at the temple of Aphrodite?
4. Which character is most distraught about the conflict?
5. Which character only shares visions when they lead to good fortune or happiness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the public respond to the visionary character?
2. What does Penelope notice about Odysseus?
3. What is the reason that Menelaus gives for waging war with Troy?
4. Describe the events that unfold at the dinner banquet.
5. Does Theseus like Helen initially?
6. Why will the suitors fight each other with vengeance?
7. What gifts does Theseus send to the newly married couple?
8. What is Odysseus' plan to choose a suitor?
9. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is the dreadful vision that involves the Trojan prince?
10. What do the women of Troy like about the Spartan queen when they first meet her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Helen realizes that war is inevitable, she feels guilty and powerless. How does she seek forgiveness, if at all? What plans does she make to try to avert the war?
Essay Topic 2
The relationship between Cassandra and Helen evolves over time. Both women are outcasts because of the decisions they have made and both feel compelled to make these decisions. What are the similarities and differences between these two women? Are they sympathetic to each other? Describe their changing relationship.
Essay Topic 3
Both Hector and Ajax are powerful warriors. They are unable to defeat each other and peacefully accept a truce. What does this behavior reveal about both men? How does this differ from other warriors in the story?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)