|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Helen's sadness stem from?
2. Who is considered as beautiful as Aphrodite?
3. Who sacks the city of Sion?
4. In Part 1, Chapter 4, what does the king do that reveals his wisdom?
5. Who dismisses the visions saying no one will believe them?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the story of Paris' origins?
2. In Part 2, Chapter 3, what is the dreadful vision that involves the Trojan prince?
3. What gifts does Theseus send to the newly married couple?
4. What does Penelope notice about Odysseus?
5. In Part 2, Chapter 1, we meet Cassandra. Describe her.
6. Describe the events that unfold at the dinner banquet.
7. What is the dream the visionary character has about war?
8. What is the reason that Menelaus gives for waging war with Troy?
9. What is Odysseus' plan to choose a suitor?
10. Why will the suitors fight each other with vengeance?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Paris disappears from the battlefield during the dust storm, he explains that Aphrodite protected him. What other times has he told Helen that Aphrodite compelled him to do something? Explain in a few sentences.
Essay Topic 2
Helen initially is envious of her cousin Penelope's love for Odysseus. How does this influence her attraction to Paris?
Essay Topic 3
There are numerous metaphors in the book pertaining to beauty. Give three examples of how beauty is portrayed and characters who exhibit power because of their beauty.
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)