|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Helen's sadness stem from?
2. Who becomes transformed from a demanding, nail-biting, impatient person to a graceful and alluring person?
3. Who is the character who defeated the bull of Crete in combat and became famous?
4. Who is deeply troubled by the love affair?
5. What is the theory of the twins' special gift?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Menelaus think Paris can do while he is gone away?
2. Describe the events that unfold at the dinner banquet.
3. Does Theseus like Helen initially?
4. What is the reason that Menelaus gives for waging war with Troy?
5. Describe Helen through Menelaus' eyes when he first sees her.
6. What is Odysseus' plan to choose a suitor?
7. Why does Andromache appear hostile?
8. What is the story of Paris' origins?
9. Despite his courtship efforts, what is Menelaus unaware of?
10. In Part 2, Chapter 1, we meet Cassandra. Describe her.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose a character that Helen initially fears but then grows to like and become familiar with. How does their relationship evolve?
Essay Topic 2
Both Hector and Ajax are powerful warriors. They are unable to defeat each other and peacefully accept a truce. What does this behavior reveal about both men? How does this differ from other warriors in the story?
Essay Topic 3
The relationship between Cassandra and Helen evolves over time. Both women are outcasts because of the decisions they have made and both feel compelled to make these decisions. What are the similarities and differences between these two women? Are they sympathetic to each other? Describe their changing relationship.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)