|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sign Aphrodite sends?
(a) The news arrives that Agamemnon has died and the king has to leave to attend the funeral rites.
(b) The king of Sparta is wounded in battle, leaving the Trojan prince in charge.
(c) The royal heir blesses the young lovers with a gift.
(d) A child is born to the Spartan couple.
2. What is considered forbidden fruit?
(a) Taking possession of the Grecian kingdom covertly.
(b) Honeyed wine that is only given to the gods.
(c) The clandestine relationship of Helen, the wife of Menelaus, with Paris.
(d) Penelope whom the Trojan prince pursues.
3. To whom is the Grecian queen attracted?
4. Who is pleased by the arrival of the Spartan queen?
5. Who is considered more intelligent than all the suitors combined?
6. Which character symbolizes the peaceful life of the queen in Sparta and her royal duty to her husband?
7. Where does Helen's sadness stem from?
(a) She does not like war.
(b) She is growing old.
(c) She fears losing her independence.
(d) She realizes she will never have the love from any of her suitors that her friend Penelope has with Odysseus.
8. Who leads the Greek delegation in Part 2, Chapter 3?
(a) King Nestor of Pylos.
(d) Phoenician traders.
9. Who is pleased to have the Trojan prince stay?
(a) Menelaus and Penelope.
(b) Hermione and Penelope.
(c) Menelaus and Helen.
(d) Helen and Odysseus.
10. Who does not notice the covert flirtation occurring at the king's dinner table?
11. Whose violent deaths make the Greek king lose his desire to rule?
(a) Helen's brothers.
12. Who inherits both a wife and a kingdom?
13. Whose love does the queen now understand?
14. What are the bitter choices facing the queen if she departs?
(a) She could be killed.
(b) She loses her wealth.
(c) She would lose the beauty that she had become famous for.
(d) She risks losing her child and also being caught by her husband.
15. Who interrupts the suitors in the men's hall to present a plan for choosing the winning suitor?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is distraught about leaving a child behind?
2. Which character learns about the terrible vision of death awaiting the head of the Trojan army?
3. What is the name of the child born to the rulers of Sparta?
4. Why is marriage considered so important?
5. Who has hairy arms?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)