|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hitler calms Speer's fears of an armaments collapse by doing what?
2. He says his fate matters little when weighed against what?
3. After coldly rejecting Speer's plan for a joint operation with the Air Force, Hitler visits the sickroom, hearing what?
4. In his last radio address Hitler rejects what and then withdraws to the old Party clique, grasping at straws and insisting that nothing but desert be left to the victors?
5. Justice Robert H. Jackson delivers a devastating opening address, and how many months of testimony and documents detail the Nazi horror?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hitler do when he ignores Speer's calls to cripple key Allied resources? How does he then calm Speer's fears of an armaments collapse?
2. What meeting does Speer mediate? Why? What is the result of this meeting?
3. Describe Hitler in the fall of 1943.
4. What takes place during an evening with Hitler?
5. How does Chapter 27 open?
6. How does Speer quickly save his ability to influence Hitler?
7. How does Chapter 33 open, regarding Doenitz?
8. What does Speer say about the danger of dictatorships?
9. How does Speer's exuberance at German successes begin to cool? What saves Germany at this point?
10. How does Chapter 29 find Speer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speer feels the fallen rulers must accept collective guilt.
Part 1) Why does he believe this? How does this support what is known about his character?
Part 2) How do the others feel about taking responsibility for their actions? Why? Do they believe they are guilty? Why or why not?
Part 3) Does this help him at all during the Nuremberg trials? Why or why not? How does this guilt affect him for the rest of his life? Why does it affect him?
Essay Topic 2
Speer runs the Armaments Ministry.
Part 1) What is the Armaments Ministry? How does he get this job? How does the Armaments Ministry benefit from Speer?
Part 2) How does Speer use his talents as an architect to be successful running the Armaments Ministry?
Part 3) How do Hitler and his men feel about the way Speer runs the Armaments Ministry? How does this affect Speer?
Essay Topic 3
Hitler is sure of victory after exterminating every traitor.
Part 1) How does he come to believe this? How does he attempt to follow through with this belief? How is Speer saved from this?
Part 2) If he could have exterminated every traitor, could he have been victorious? Why or why not? What does this belief reveal about Hitler?
Part 3) What could Hitler have done to be victorious? Use the text to support your response.
This section contains 1,107 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)