|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what does the leadership--Speer included--live?
2. Are Speer's efforts to improve living conditions successful?
3. Why are there no prisoners?
4. Operation Valkyrie provides for the fast mobilization of the _________________ men always on furlough in Germany as a "Home Army" to face emergencies.
5. As the General Staff desires, the Todt Organization begins building defensive positions on the Dnieper. Why does Hitler order this work stopped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hitler do regarding the Todt Organization's building of defensive positions on the Dnieper? Why does he do this? How does this affect Germany?
2. What takes place while Speers is in the hospital for two months?
3. What does Speer convince Hitler to do regarding Russian prisoners? Why is this, in the end, not necessary?
4. What does Hitler say during his last radio address?
5. What happens to Speer and the other defendants at Nuremberg?
6. What does Hitler do when he ignores Speer's calls to cripple key Allied resources? How does he then calm Speer's fears of an armaments collapse?
7. How does the book end?
8. How does Chapter 29 find Speer?
9. What happens to Speer as the war comes to an end?
10. How does Speer's exuberance at German successes begin to cool? What saves Germany at this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speer exploits the captured countries to produce civilian goods.
Part 1) How does he go about doing this? Why does he do this? How does this benefit Germany?
Part 2) How does the production of weaponry become an issue in this book? How does it affect the war?
Part 3) How does this exploitation affect your opinion of Speer? Should he exploit captured countries in this way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Hitler is stuck in a World War I mentality.
Part 1) What is a World War I mentality? Why is Hitler stuck in this mentality?
Part 2) What does this mean for Speer, Speer's plans, and Hitler's own plans? How does this mentality reflect Hitler's personality?
Part 3) How does Hitler's war mentality evolve over time? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Speer builds grand halls and salons to impress on dignitaries that Hitler is "one of the greatest men in history."
Part 1) Why does Speer do this? Does he believe Hitler is "one of the greatest men in history?" Why or why not?
Part 2) Why might these grand halls and salons give dignitaries the impression that Hitler is a great man?
Part 3) What does Speer think of these grand structures at the time he builds them? How does he feel about these structures later in life? Why?
Part 4) How might these structures be viewed today? Why?
This section contains 1,095 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)