|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what is Speer found guilty?
2. Speer mediates a meeting of Goering, Guderian, Zeitzler, and Fromm to discuss what?
3. How long does Speer spend in a hospital?
4. Why are there no prisoners?
5. Himmler refuses to be excluded from what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Speer's exuberance at German successes begin to cool? What saves Germany at this point?
2. What takes place during an evening with Hitler?
3. What is Operation Valkyrie? What is the result of this operation?
4. How does Chapter 28 open?
5. What does Hitler do regarding the Todt Organization's building of defensive positions on the Dnieper? Why does he do this? How does this affect Germany?
6. What meeting does Speer mediate? Why? What is the result of this meeting?
7. What does Hitler say during his last radio address?
8. What is Himmler's reaction at the end of the war?
9. What does Bormann call Speer? Why?
10. How does Speer's life become threatened? How is his life spared?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Speer exploits the captured countries to produce civilian goods.
Part 1) How does he go about doing this? Why does he do this? How does this benefit Germany?
Part 2) How does the production of weaponry become an issue in this book? How does it affect the war?
Part 3) How does this exploitation affect your opinion of Speer? Should he exploit captured countries in this way? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Speer spends two months in the hospital.
Part 1) Why does he spend two months in the hospital? What takes place during these two months?
Part 2) How does this time affect his influence over Hitler? Why? How do these two become more estranged?
Part 3) How does this time both help and hurt Speer? How might this change in Speer affect his later trial?
Essay Topic 3
Speer warns Hitler that the end is near.
Part 1) How does he know this? Why does he do this? How does Hitler react to this? Why does he react this way?
Part 2) Does Hitler have just cause to react the way he does? Why or why not?
Part 3) How does the end come? Are you surprised by the way the various leaders handle the end? Why or why not?
This section contains 988 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)