|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Operation Valkyrie provides for the fast mobilization of the _________________ men always on furlough in Germany as a "Home Army" to face emergencies.
2. Speer is reluctant to accept the "Central Works" under what?
3. Hitler refuses to believe that who cannot overrun the Americans?
4. When Hitler demands ruthless "scorched earth," Speer tries to inspire sympathy for evacuees and reminds him that his order shows a loss of hope. Why does Hitler go along with this?
5. How does Hitler react to viewing Speer's photographs of fugitives?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place during an evening with Hitler?
2. What happens to Speer as the war comes to an end?
3. Describe Hitler in the fall of 1943.
4. How does Speer's life become threatened? How is his life spared?
5. What does Hitler say during his last radio address?
6. What happens when Speers warns Hitler that the end is near?
7. How are the Allies able to invade Germany? How does Hitler deal with this invasion?
8. How does Speer quickly save his ability to influence Hitler?
9. What takes place while Speers is in the hospital for two months?
10. What is Himmler's reaction at the end of the war?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hitler aims for a Great Germanic Reich.
Part 1) Describe Hitler's plans for this Reich. How have his plans developed and evolved throughout this book? What does Speer think about these plans?
Part 2) How is this foreshadowed early in the book? Why do his plans for this powerful nation fall through?
Part 3) Why might this power be so important to Hitler? Why might he be able to convince others that they too want a powerful Germanic Reich?
Part 4) Who has power in your world? How have they come by this power? How do they deal with this power? How does it affect you?
Essay Topic 2
Speer attempts to keep Hitler and his henchmen from destroying the economy.
Part 1) How does he go about doing this? Is he successful? Why or why not?
Part 2) Could he have used better tactics? If so, how? If not, why not?
Part 3) How does the German economy play a role in Hitler's rise to power, rule, and ultimate downfall?
Essay Topic 3
Speer spends two months in the hospital.
Part 1) Why does he spend two months in the hospital? What takes place during these two months?
Part 2) How does this time affect his influence over Hitler? Why? How do these two become more estranged?
Part 3) How does this time both help and hurt Speer? How might this change in Speer affect his later trial?
This section contains 1,271 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)