|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hitler views grand buildings as what?
2. The blossoming of Speer's career follows ___________ of Ernst Roehm.
3. Speer redesigns Zeppelin Field in Nuremberg as ________________ stone structure destined to remain for ages as a witness to the greatness of the builders' epoch.
4. Speer's Nuremberg building blends _________________________ but on a monumental scale.
5. How often does Hitler reveal his feelings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads to Speer's becoming the young man destined to design Hitler's legacy?
2. With whom does Hitler surround himself? How does he act around these people?
3. What does Hitler appreciate about Speer? How does this lead to work for Speer?
4. How does Speer support and even surpass Hitler's desires?
5. Describe the new facade of Hitler's headquarters.
6. Who does Speer take with him to "Fuehrer conferences?" Why?
7. Describe the beginning of Speer's time as head of the Armaments Ministry.
8. What aspects of Speer's childhood helped to build his character and self-discipline?
9. How does Hitler rapidly conquer Poland and France?
10. What happens in June of 1942?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hitler demands ruthless "scorched earth."
Part 1) What is "scorched earth?" How and why does Speer try to stop this? What does this reinforce about Hitler's personality?
Part 2) How might this have affected the Allies? How might this have also affected the Germans?
Part 3) Might this tactic be used today? If so, when and how? If not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Hitler calls for making Berlin so beautiful that no one will care if Paris is destroyed.
Part 1) What do others think about this statement? How does this threaten Paris, France as a whole, and other nations?
Part 2) What does this statement reveal about Hitler? How does Speer go about making this statement true?
Part 3) Does Berlin ever gain popularity as a city more beautiful than Paris? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hitler is stuck in a World War I mentality.
Part 1) What is a World War I mentality? Why is Hitler stuck in this mentality?
Part 2) What does this mean for Speer, Speer's plans, and Hitler's own plans? How does this mentality reflect Hitler's personality?
Part 3) How does Hitler's war mentality evolve over time? Why?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)