|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Through a detailed model of Berlin, Hitler loves to "enter his avenue" to do what?
2. Speer's suggestion of diverting construction workers gains grudging approval from Hitler, and Todt puts Speer in charge of what?
3. When does Speer work for the Reich?
4. Why does Hitler surround himself with "flawed" men?
5. Hitler tells Speer to stop the conference for what reason?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it surprising that Speer joined the Party?
2. What leads to Speer being put in charge of the Ukraine?
3. Who does Speer take with him to "Fuehrer conferences?" Why?
4. How do Speer's ideas clash with Hitler's and the ideas of others?
5. What happens in June of 1942?
6. Describe the beginning of Speer's time as head of the Armaments Ministry.
7. Give examples of Speer's work in 1934 which shows his career blossoming.
8. What poor military decisions does Hitler make after the Allied invasion of North Africa?
9. Describe Speer's success with Goebbels and Hitler. How is he finally able to impress Hitler?
10. What does Hitler appreciate about Speer? How does this lead to work for Speer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hitler calls for making Berlin so beautiful that no one will care if Paris is destroyed.
Part 1) What do others think about this statement? How does this threaten Paris, France as a whole, and other nations?
Part 2) What does this statement reveal about Hitler? How does Speer go about making this statement true?
Part 3) Does Berlin ever gain popularity as a city more beautiful than Paris? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Speer runs the Armaments Ministry.
Part 1) What is the Armaments Ministry? How does he get this job? How does the Armaments Ministry benefit from Speer?
Part 2) How does Speer use his talents as an architect to be successful running the Armaments Ministry?
Part 3) How do Hitler and his men feel about the way Speer runs the Armaments Ministry? How does this affect Speer?
Essay Topic 3
Hitler aims for a Great Germanic Reich.
Part 1) Describe Hitler's plans for this Reich. How have his plans developed and evolved throughout this book? What does Speer think about these plans?
Part 2) How is this foreshadowed early in the book? Why do his plans for this powerful nation fall through?
Part 3) Why might this power be so important to Hitler? Why might he be able to convince others that they too want a powerful Germanic Reich?
Part 4) Who has power in your world? How have they come by this power? How do they deal with this power? How does it affect you?
This section contains 1,016 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)