|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Hitler is more shaken by damage reports than __________ and orders impossible repairs of theaters to keep up public morale.
(a) Allied invasions.
2. What is one of Hitler's worst decisions?
(a) Using a fighter as a bomber rather than the jet-powered Me-262.
(b) Using a fighter as a bomber rather than the jet-powered Me-202.
(c) Using the jet-powered Me-262 as a bomber rather than a fighter.
(d) Using the jet-powered Me-202 as a bomber rather than a fighter.
3. After the invasions of Africa and Italy, Hitler is certain what can happen?
(a) The Allies will go home.
(b) The Allies will surrender.
(c) Ground can be regained.
(d) The Germans will face certain defeat.
4. Had the Allies concentrated on attacking _____________ the war would have been lost by 1943.
(a) The coastline.
(b) Hitler's bunker.
(d) Key armaments factories.
5. Speer helps the United States Strategic Bombing Survey (USSBS) evaluate the air war in what atmosphere?
(a) An angry one.
(b) An anxious one.
(c) A nervous one.
(d) A comradely one.
6. Speer holds off Hitler's orders by suggesting what?
(a) Reconquest is still possible.
(b) Demolition of only the bridges to the cities.
(c) All leaders go into hiding.
(d) The POWs be allowed to escape.
7. What are civilians begging the army not to do?
(b) Give in to the Allies.
(c) Defend their towns.
(d) Desert them.
8. Doenitz struggles to think outside what?
(a) The box.
(b) Normal parameters.
(c) His comfort zone.
(d) The ingrained Nazi framework.
9. What does Hitler do as the crisis deepens?
(a) He listens to Speer.
(b) He becomes closer to his people.
(c) He further closes his mind.
(d) He begins to think more rationally.
10. Why does Speer's exuberance at German successes cool?
(a) Hitler stops listening to him.
(b) He no longer wants to help Germany win the war.
(c) As Allied bombings begin affecting production.
(d) His tactics no longer work.
11. Speer waives appeal to how many years imprisonment?
12. In what does the leadership--Speer included--live?
(a) A bunker.
(b) "Wealth and affluence."
(c) "Peace and harmony."
(d) "Dissimulation and hypocrisy."
13. Speer warns Hitler that the end is near but is ignored and told to do what to support the decisive offensive Hitler is launching in the West?
(a) Build monuments.
(b) Build armaments factories.
(c) Build bridges.
(d) Build government buildings.
14. Back in Berlin, Speer learns that his name appears in the rebels' planned government, but what saves his life?
(a) The annotation, "Hitler's friend."
(b) The annotation, "Competent?"
(c) The annotation, "If possible?"
(d) The annotation, "Probably not."
15. When Hitler demands ruthless "scorched earth," Speer tries to inspire sympathy for evacuees and reminds him that his order shows a loss of hope. Why does Hitler go along with this?
(a) To save face.
(b) He believes Speer.
(c) He agrees with Speer.
(d) He does not know what else to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. As the war drags on, Hitler comes to admire whose endurance but holds to the stereotype of the West as incompetent?
2. Hitler raises the specter of using the nerve agent _________ against the Soviets.
3. Hitler rejects Jodl's and Speer's attempts at what?
4. When does a massive Allied bombing occur?
5. Hitler refuses to believe that who cannot overrun the Americans?
This section contains 528 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)