|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Does Speer get time to acclimate to the job before a conference with the military and industry convened by Field Marshal Erhard Milch?
(b) Yes, but very little time.
(c) Yes, some time.
(d) Yes, a great deal of time.
2. What does Speer inherit?
(a) Milch's ministries and the Milch Organization.
(b) Goering's ministries and the Goering Organization.
(c) Goebbels' ministries and the Goebbels Organization.
(d) Todt's ministries and the Todt Organization.
3. Chapter 6, "The Greatest Assignment," opens with Hitler choosing to ally with Italy over ____________ and seizing the Rhineland while still lacking an army or air force.
(a) The Netherlands.
4. Himmler offers who to make bricks and quarry granite?
(a) German civilians.
(b) His SS men.
(d) Prison and concentration camp workers.
5. Hitler is unwilling to risk a revolution like ____________.
6. Speer is even allowed to recruit where?
(a) Outside the country.
(b) In his hometown.
(c) Outside the European continent.
(d) Outside the party.
7. Through a detailed model of Berlin, Hitler loves to "enter his avenue" to do what?
(a) To come up with questions to ask Speer.
(b) Make changes.
(c) Feel happy.
(d) Evaluate the future effect.
8. When Speer champions neglected nuclear research, Goering is again put in charge, but Hitler fails to grasp the potential of fission--"Jewish physics"--and instead concentrates on the ____________ rockets, which Speer considers a "misguided project."
9. Seeing his forces encircled at Stalingrad, Hitler forbids what?
(a) The Tenth Army to break out.
(b) The Sixth Army to break out.
(c) The Fourth Army to break out.
(d) The Seventh Army to break out.
10. Who does Speer help deal with Berlin contractors in rebuilding the decrepit Chancellery?
(a) Berlin architect Paul Ludwig Troost.
(b) Dresden architect Paul Ludwig Troost.
(c) Frankfort architect Paul Ludwig Troost.
(d) Munich architect Paul Ludwig Troost.
11. Germany's prestige rises during what?
(a) The Munich Olympic Games.
(b) The Berlin Olympic Games.
(c) The Beijing Olympic Games.
(d) The Salt Lake City Olympic Games.
12. Hitler is mistrustful but can be swayed by whom?
(a) His mother.
(c) Only those in his inner circle.
(d) Those skilled in manipulation.
13. Top figures in industry and government endorse Speer's scheme, and despite Goering's threat to resign as head of the Four-Year Plan and Speer's promise to work within his framework, Hitler gives Speer what?
(a) Dictatorial power over the economy.
(b) Dictatorial power over the Armaments Ministry.
(c) Some power over the Armaments Ministry.
(d) Some power over the economy.
14. Why does Speer build grand halls and salons?
(a) To impress his family.
(b) To impresss Hitler.
(c) To promote his work.
(d) To impress on dignitaries that Hitler is "one of the greatest men in history."
15. In 1939, Speer guarantees completion of the five-mile core by __________, with the massive cost being spread over many budgets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Speer enters Hitler's inner circle in Berlin and at his mountain retreat at Obersalzberg and meets _____________.
2. When it becomes clear that it has been pre-arranged for Milch to control the whole war economy, Speer appeals to Hitler who demands what?
3. What does Hitler have Speer do to his Berlin office?
4. Speer's plan of __________________ uses committees to allocate supplies and oversee weapons design.
5. How often does Hitler reveal his feelings?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)