|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 52, who does Dustfinger feel Capricorn will not allow the Shadow to hurt?
2. Why do Capricorn's men avoid the far end of the village?
3. In chapter 47, who does Elinor run into as she makes her way into Capricorn's village?
4. What does Fenoglio quickly hide in chapter 48 when he hears Basta's approach?
5. What message from Mo does Dustfinger give to Meggie in chapter 39?
Short Essay Questions
1. What decorates Mortola's quarters? What does Meggie notice about this item?
2. How does Dustfinger feel about Farid following him around in chapter 31?
3. In chapter 39, how does Capricorn explain his choice of punishments for Dustfinger and Resa?
4. Why does Meggie tell the reader in chapter 59 she has decided to become a writer?
5. What does Elinor do in chapter 47 when Mo and Farid do not return to their rendezvous point at planned?
6. In chapter 36, what worries Meggie the most about her current situation?
7. In chapter 32, who does the author tell Meggie Magpie, or Mortola, is?
8. What condition does Basta give in chapter 45 when he agrees to give the author pen and paper?
9. In chapter 43, Dustfinger thinks about his impending death and has an idea that it will allow him to return home. Why? Where is home?
10. What does Mo find in Dustfinger's backpack that helps him understand Dustfinger's behaviors recently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Meggie encourage Mo to read aloud to her from a book of poetry? Why does Meggie begin imitating the way her father read to her? What happens after she begins practicing? How did Meggie know that she would have the same gift as her father? Does her father know she has the same gift? Does Meggie consider this a gift? What does Capricorn want her to do with this gift? How does she react to this? What threat does Meggie promise if they do not let her see Dustfinger first? How would this impact what Capricorn wants from her?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Meggie? What great love does she share with her father? How did Meggie learn to read? Why does her father never read aloud to her? What is her book box? Who made it? What does it contain? Where did the lining of the box come from? Why do Meggie and her father travel so much? How does Meggie feel about this? What does Meggie learn from Dustfinger is the real reason for their frequent moves? What else does Dustfinger reveal to Meggie that she did not know before?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following in detail, using quotes from the novel to support your conclusions:
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)