|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Meggie reads the new story the author has written for the Tin Soldier?
(a) The soldier simply disappears.
(b) The soldier runs away.
(c) The soldier goes into it.
(d) The soldier is joined by his ballerina.
2. What does Fenoglio tell Meggie is his job in chapter 36?
(a) Making Capricorn happy.
(b) Writing unique stories.
(c) Protecting her.
(d) Thinking up ideas.
3. What does Meggie tell Fenoglio in chapter 53 he should do about all of Capricorn's henchmen?
(a) Frighten them so that they run away.
(b) Have the Shadow take them back into the book.
(c) Imprison them all.
(d) Kill them all.
4. How long does Dustfinger tell Farid Resa has been Capricorn's maid?
(a) Nine years.
(b) Six years.
(c) Five years.
(d) Four years.
5. What does Mortola threaten to do to Meggie in chapter 48 when she reveals that she knows Mortola is Capricorn's mother?
(a) To poison her.
(b) To take her away from the village.
(c) To execute her with Dustfinger and Resa.
(d) To imprison her for life.
6. What does the author tell Meggie to ask for in exchange for reading aloud a new story?
(a) Pencil and paper.
(b) A car.
(c) A visit to Dustfinger.
(d) A phone.
7. What does Basta chew morning, noon, and night to improve his bad breath?
(a) Breath mints.
8. Who does the crowd believe caused the fire that is devouring Capricorn's house in chapter 56?
9. Who brings breakfast to Meggie and Fenoglio in chapter 42?
10. Who brings Capricorn news of his burning house in chapter 56?
11. What story does Fenoglio think he should write when all this adventure ends?
(a) One of Mortola and her fascination with the macabe.
(b) One of Meggie and how she saved them with her voice.
(c) One of Elinor and her great collection of books.
(d) One of Basta and his superstitions.
12. What do the maids of Capricorn's village think Meggie is?
(a) A magician.
(b) A witch.
(c) A priestess.
(d) A vampire.
13. Who does Farid take with him when he sneaks into Capricorn's village in chapter 41?
14. Who does Farid think Elinor is to Mo?
(a) His cousin.
(b) His sister.
(c) His wife.
(d) His mother.
15. How does Fenoglio distract Mortola and Capricorn so that Meggie can slip his pages out of her sleeve in chapter 56?
(a) He pulls a knife on Mortola.
(b) He announces to everyone that Mortola is Capricorn's mother.
(c) He begins to argue that his story is not meant to be used this way.
(d) He tries to run away.
Short Answer Questions
1. In chapter 47, what does Elinor decide she must do when she becomes convinced that Mo is dead?
2. What warning does Dustfinger give Farid when Farid accidentally causes a small grass fire?
3. What did Capricorn's father do for a living?
4. What argument with Mo does Elinor recall in chapter 47?
5. Why is Farid studying the night in chapter 41?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)