|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mo tell Meggie that he and she cannot go home with Elinor in chapter 22?
(a) Mo wants to visit someone.
(b) Mo needs to find Dustfinger.
(c) Mo needs to find Resa.
(d) Mo wants to go back to Capricorn's village.
2. Why does Meggie admit being afraid of Basta in chapter 13?
(a) He has a gun.
(b) He threatens to kill her.
(c) He has an aura of fury.
(d) He is large and dangerous looking.
3. What does Capricorn want Meggie for?
(a) To force Resa to be loyal to him.
(b) To force Dustfinger to remain his servant.
(c) To force her to read for him.
(d) To force her father to read for him.
4. What has Mo hidden about the book he has brought to Elinor for safekeeping?
(a) Its author.
(b) Its publication year.
(c) Its publisher.
(d) Its title.
5. Why did Mo tell her that people become attached to favorite books?
(a) The books hold memories for the reader.
(b) Familiar stories are comforting.
(c) Its easier to read a story over and over rather than begin something new.
(d) Books are expensive and hard to replace.
6. Why does Elinor insist on taking her own car to Capricorn's village in chapter 12?
(a) She feels more comfortable in her own car.
(b) She cannot drive Mo's camper van.
(c) She dislikes Mo's van.
(d) She wants to respect Mo's privacy.
7. How does Mo justify breaking his promise to Dustfinger in chapter 25?
(a) Mo hopes the author can convince Dustfinger to go back to Capricorn's village and steal the last copy of the book.
(b) Mo hopes the author can write Dustfinger a new story to go into.
(c) Mo hopes Dustfinger will believe the author about the danger that awaits him in the book.
(d) Mo hopes the author can convince Dustfinger to live happinly in our world.
8. What does Elinor want to do about the destruction of her library in chapter 30?
(a) Go to Capricorn to complain.
(b) Call the police.
(c) Take Capricorn to court to force him to pay for the loss.
(d) Burn down the rest of the soiled house.
9. What question does Meggie ask Mo in chapter 5 that she never thought about until Dustfinger brought it up?
(a) Why he does not read aloud to her.
(b) Why they move around so much.
(c) Why he does not search for her mother.
(d) Why he never remarried.
10. What does Mo tell Capricorn at the end of chapter 18 that forces him to agree to let Mo go back to his cell?
(a) He is exhausted and could make a mistake.
(b) He will not read more until he is compensated.
(c) He will bite his tongue if not allowed a rest.
(d) He will not read anymore until Meggie is set free.
11. What does Meggie find in her bedroom in chapter 23 after Mo read aloud to her?
(a) A cat.
(b) A dog.
(c) A worm.
(d) A bird.
12. Where does Dustfinger assure Mo Capricorn has gone in chapter 3?
13. Why does Meggie jump out of the camper van and refuse to leave in chapter 3?
(a) She does not want to miss school.
(b) She wants to know Mo's secret.
(c) She does not trust Dustfinger.
(d) She is afraid of Gwin.
14. What does Basta carve into a dresser so that Mo will know who has taken Meggie and Fenoglio?
(a) Capricorn's name.
(b) A ransom note.
(c) His name.
(d) An arrow.
15. What is Meggie's favorite flower as she tells the reader in chapter 2?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dustfinger say he does not know how to drive?
2. What promise does Mo make to Dustfinger in chapter 23 and again in chapter 24?
3. Who seems to be missing from Capricorn's village?
4. In what point of view is this novel written?
5. What does Farid use in chapter 23 to collect donations from people watching Dustfinger's act?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)