|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the workman say to justify leaving up the prayer sign on the courthouse?
2. How does Cates regard Rachel when she takes the stand?
3. Cates claims religion should be what?
4. Reverend Brown requests the crowd to do what to those who defy the Word?
5. Brady asks if Cates has ever taught from what book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are an important part of Inherit the Wind, as they show us how other characters treat one another. Choose one of the following relationships and explain what you have learned about the participants, based on their relationships with one another.
- Mr. and Mrs. Brady.
- Rachel and Reverend Brown.
- Rachel and Cates.
Essay Topic 2
Brady mentions several cases that Drummond has worked on in the past. What are these cases? What do they say about Drummond's character as a man and as a lawyer?
Essay Topic 3
The judge assigns Cates the punishment to pay a fine of $100. Answer the following questions:
1) Is this the sentence Cates expects to receive?
2) What does the sentence reveal about the judge's feelings on the case?
3) Why does Cates still plan to appeal the verdict?
This section contains 266 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)