|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does the town prayer meeting start?
2. Drummond believes Cates is really on trial for what?
3. Which witness is dismissed, prior to Drummond's cross-examination?
4. Who does Brady claim he will fight, no matter what?
5. What does Reverend Brown preach at the end of the prayer meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scene where Drummond gives Cates the option of backing out of the trial.
Part 1) Why does Cates choose to continue the trial?
Part 2) Is this the choice Drummond wants him to make? Why?
Part 3) Is this the choice Rachel wants him to make? Why?
Essay Topic 2
When Drummond is appointed "temporary Honorary Colonel" by the Mayor, Drummond is shocked to hear that his title will be permanent when the "right forms are signed". Drummond is troubled by this as he, like Brady, did not serve time in the military. Analyze why the Mayor's power to bestow this undeserved honor is significant to the story.
Essay Topic 3
Drummond states that his experience with the law is like being on a merry-go-round. Why is this? What are some moments from Inherit the Wind that back up his theory?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)