|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book of the Bible is referenced at the prayer meeting?
2. Before the prayer meeting, Reverend Brown describes the townspeople as what?
3. Drummond suggests that anyone who is "against Brady" is what?
4. What surprise witness does Drummond call to the stand?
5. Who is scheduled as Drummond's first witness?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Popular opinion shapes how Brady feels about himself throughout Inherit the Wind. Choose one of the following moments from the play and analyze how it helped or hurt Brady's self-confidence and why.
1) The way Brady was greeted when he arrived in town.
2) The time Brady served on the witness stand.
3) The speech Brady made on the radio, following the verdict.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the final moment of Inherit the Wind, when Drummond balances both the Bible and Darwin's Origin of Species in his hands, finally leaving with both.
Part 1) Why does Drummond weigh both books together?
Part 2) When Drummond leaves, why does he leave with both books?
Part 3) At the beginning of the play, do you feel he would have done the same? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing from one of the following, write an essay on how this character has changed throughout Inherit the Wind. Include who they were at the start of the play, the pivotal moment that changed them, and who they were by the end.
This section contains 271 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)