|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cates claims the books of "Evil-utionists" are filled with what?
2. What does Drummond ask Brady about the Bible?
3. Brady claims that Cates sees marriage as similar to what?
4. What book does Drummond attempt to read out loud in court?
5. At the end of the prayer meeting, who sends the crowd home?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scene where Drummond gives Cates the option of backing out of the trial.
Part 1) Why does Cates choose to continue the trial?
Part 2) Is this the choice Drummond wants him to make? Why?
Part 3) Is this the choice Rachel wants him to make? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the final moment of Inherit the Wind, when Drummond balances both the Bible and Darwin's Origin of Species in his hands, finally leaving with both.
Part 1) Why does Drummond weigh both books together?
Part 2) When Drummond leaves, why does he leave with both books?
Part 3) At the beginning of the play, do you feel he would have done the same? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing from one of the following, write an essay on how this character has changed throughout Inherit the Wind. Include who they were at the start of the play, the pivotal moment that changed them, and who they were by the end.
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)