|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Drummond's first witness not allowed to speak?
2. Brady asks if Cates has ever taught from what book?
3. Who does the judge finally refuse to hear?
4. What does Drummond suggest about Brady and how he lives his life?
5. Before the prayer meeting, Reverend Brown describes the townspeople as what?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Relationships are an important part of Inherit the Wind, as they show us how other characters treat one another. Choose one of the following relationships and explain what you have learned about the participants, based on their relationships with one another.
- Mr. and Mrs. Brady.
- Rachel and Reverend Brown.
- Rachel and Cates.
Essay Topic 2
Drummond states that his experience with the law is like being on a merry-go-round. Why is this? What are some moments from Inherit the Wind that back up his theory?
Essay Topic 3
Popular opinion shapes how Brady feels about himself throughout Inherit the Wind. Choose one of the following moments from the play and analyze how it helped or hurt Brady's self-confidence and why.
1) The way Brady was greeted when he arrived in town.
2) The time Brady served on the witness stand.
3) The speech Brady made on the radio, following the verdict.
This section contains 298 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)