|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the theme of the prayer meeting?
2. According to Drummond, what is more important than what is "right"?
3. Cates claims the books of "Evil-utionists" are filled with what?
4. Who does the judge finally refuse to hear?
5. What does Brady refuse to accept about Drummond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Popular opinion shapes how Brady feels about himself throughout Inherit the Wind. Choose one of the following moments from the play and analyze how it helped or hurt Brady's self-confidence and why.
1) The way Brady was greeted when he arrived in town.
2) The time Brady served on the witness stand.
3) The speech Brady made on the radio, following the verdict.
Essay Topic 2
Cates is on trial for breaking a law; teaching Darwinism in his classroom. In court, Drummond makes Cates' case about something different altogether.
Part 1) What does Drummond make Cates' case about?
Part 2) How does this angle change the outcome of the case?
Part 3) If Drummond had not changed the angle, do you believe Cates would have gone to jail? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hillsboro was a small town prior to the trial that took place. Write a brief essay on how Hillsboro has changed as a result of the trial.
Part 1) What is the town of Hillsboro like before the trial?
Part 2) How will the outcome of the trial affect the citizens and their way of thought?
Part 3) Do you foresee Hillsboro becoming famous as a result of the trial? Why or why not?
This section contains 300 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)