|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Cates leave Rachel's church?
2. Cates claims the books of "Evil-utionists" are filled with what?
3. What does Brady suggest the prayer meeting might do for Hornbeck?
4. What does Hornbeck say he is not?
5. What does Drummond suggest about Brady and how he lives his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Popular opinion shapes how Brady feels about himself throughout Inherit the Wind. Choose one of the following moments from the play and analyze how it helped or hurt Brady's self-confidence and why.
1) The way Brady was greeted when he arrived in town.
2) The time Brady served on the witness stand.
3) The speech Brady made on the radio, following the verdict.
Essay Topic 2
When Brady comes to town, he does so with fanfare and promises. Analyze the following promises he made to people and whether or not he delivered.
Part 1) What does Brady promise Davenport? What does he promise the people of Hillsboro?
Part 2) Is it important for Brady to hold up his word? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text.
Part 3) When Brady does not hold up his word or fails at his promised outcome, how does this affect him? Why?
Essay Topic 3
The judge assigns Cates the punishment to pay a fine of $100. Answer the following questions:
1) Is this the sentence Cates expects to receive?
2) What does the sentence reveal about the judge's feelings on the case?
3) Why does Cates still plan to appeal the verdict?
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)