Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
2. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
3. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
4. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
5. Brady is called Colonel in spite of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
2. Why does Rachel stand on the sidelines instead of participating in the prayer meeting?
3. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
4. How is the attentiveness to Brady's speech post-trial different from the other times he has spoken?
5. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
6. When Bannister states that he wants the front seat in the jury box because "its going to be quite a show", what does this say about his opinion of the trial?
7. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
8. Brady says that Cates' "bigoted opinions" will not be forgotten by the community, even if they are removed from court record. What does this say about the power of ideas?
9. Although Cates lost, it is said that he won. Why?
10. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
Hillsboro was a small town prior to the trial that took place. Write a brief essay on how Hillsboro has changed as a result of the trial.
Part 1) What is the town of Hillsboro like before the trial?
Part 2) How will the outcome of the trial affect the citizens and their way of thought?
Part 3) Do you foresee Hillsboro becoming famous as a result of the trial? Why or why not?
Popular opinion shapes how Brady feels about himself throughout Inherit the Wind. Choose one of the following moments from the play and analyze how it helped or hurt Brady's self-confidence and why.
1) The way Brady was greeted when he arrived in town.
2) The time Brady served on the witness stand.
3) The speech Brady made on the radio, following the verdict.
The judge assigns Cates the punishment to pay a fine of $100. Answer the following questions:
1) Is this the sentence Cates expects to receive?
2) What does the sentence reveal about the judge's feelings on the case?
3) Why does Cates still plan to appeal the verdict?
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)