Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
2. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
3. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
4. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
5. Brady is called Colonel in spite of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
2. Why does Rachel stand on the sidelines instead of participating in the prayer meeting?
3. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
4. How is the attentiveness to Brady's speech post-trial different from the other times he has spoken?
5. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
6. When Bannister states that he wants the front seat in the jury box because "its going to be quite a show", what does this say about his opinion of the trial?
7. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
8. Brady says that Cates' "bigoted opinions" will not be forgotten by the community, even if they are removed from court record. What does this say about the power of ideas?
9. Although Cates lost, it is said that he won. Why?
10. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
Essay Topic 1
The small talk between the characters in Inherit the Wind is simple and mindless.
Part 1) What topics are discussed? Why?
Part 2) What topics are not discussed? Why?
Part 3) Why do you think the townspeople stick to safe topics? What might happen if real conversations started taking place?
Essay Topic 2
When Howard torments Melinda at the beginning of the play, she threatens to tell her father about Howard's ideas.
Part 1) What does Howard tell Melinda?
Part 2) Why is she scared of his ideas?
Part 3) When she threatens to tell her father, how does this parallel Rachel's relationship with her father?
Essay Topic 3
When Brady comes to town, he does so with fanfare and promises. Analyze the following promises he made to people and whether or not he delivered.
Part 1) What does Brady promise Davenport? What does he promise the people of Hillsboro?
Part 2) Is it important for Brady to hold up his word? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text.
Part 3) When Brady does not hold up his word or fails at his promised outcome, how does this affect him? Why?
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)