|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages the town to greet Brady's arrival?
2. Prior to Brady's arrival, Melinda sells what?
3. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" teach?
4. Rachel tells Hornbeck all answers to existence are found where?
5. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
Short Essay Questions
1. The Mayor refuses to remove the title of Colonel from Brady; instead, he awards a similar title to Drummond when Drummond complains. What does this action demonstrate about the town's mentality?
2. How does Drummond try to win over the crowd at the beginning of the trial?
3. Why does Drummond attempt to dismiss Dunlap without asking him any questions?
4. Why does Rachel stand on the sidelines instead of participating in the prayer meeting?
5. Why is it ironic that Reverend Brown is in a bad mood the first time the audience meets him, yet he scolds others for not having community spirit?
6. Why does Cates leave the church that Rachel's father preaches at? Does she hold this against Cates?
7. Describe the character, Rachel.
8. How is the attentiveness to Brady's speech post-trial different from the other times he has spoken?
9. Why does Brady suggest Howard may become Godless if Cates is not found guilty?
10. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are moments in Inherit the Wind where Drummond is referred to as the devil.
Part 1) How is the devil defined in this context?
Part 2) Who considers Drummond to be the devil?
Part 3) Do you agree with this nickname? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
When Howard torments Melinda at the beginning of the play, she threatens to tell her father about Howard's ideas.
Part 1) What does Howard tell Melinda?
Part 2) Why is she scared of his ideas?
Part 3) When she threatens to tell her father, how does this parallel Rachel's relationship with her father?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the final moment of Inherit the Wind, when Drummond balances both the Bible and Darwin's Origin of Species in his hands, finally leaving with both.
Part 1) Why does Drummond weigh both books together?
Part 2) When Drummond leaves, why does he leave with both books?
Part 3) At the beginning of the play, do you feel he would have done the same? Why or why not?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)