Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
2. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
3. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
4. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
5. Brady is called Colonel in spite of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
2. Why does Rachel stand on the sidelines instead of participating in the prayer meeting?
3. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
4. How is the attentiveness to Brady's speech post-trial different from the other times he has spoken?
5. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
6. When Bannister states that he wants the front seat in the jury box because "its going to be quite a show", what does this say about his opinion of the trial?
7. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
8. Brady says that Cates' "bigoted opinions" will not be forgotten by the community, even if they are removed from court record. What does this say about the power of ideas?
9. Although Cates lost, it is said that he won. Why?
10. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
Essay Topic 1
There are moments in Inherit the Wind where Drummond is referred to as the devil.
Part 1) How is the devil defined in this context?
Part 2) Who considers Drummond to be the devil?
Part 3) Do you agree with this nickname? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are an important part of Inherit the Wind, as they show us how other characters treat one another. Choose one of the following relationships and explain what you have learned about the participants, based on their relationships with one another.
- Mr. and Mrs. Brady.
- Rachel and Reverend Brown.
- Rachel and Cates.
Essay Topic 3
Out of the following three characters, determine who you feel has the most to win or lose with Cates' court case and why. Back up your theory with specific examples from the text.
- Reverend Brown.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)