|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hornbeck call the monkey the "father of the human race"?
2. Drummond says that killing a wife is not as bad as killing what?
3. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
4. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
5. What is Howard doing at the beginning of Act One?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character, Rachel.
2. Brady is portrayed as a somewhat gluttonous character throughout the play. As gluttony appears in the Bible as a sin, this demonstrates that Brady is willing to judge others on their sins but is unwilling to chastise himself. Why?
3. When Reverend Brown asks God to curse his daughter for her defense of Cates, what does this say about his character?
4. Why does Brady suggest Howard may become Godless if Cates is not found guilty?
5. How does Drummond try to win over the crowd at the beginning of the trial?
6. Why does Drummond attempt to dismiss Dunlap without asking him any questions?
7. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
8. What is Cates' punishment, assigned by the judge after the verdict is read?
9. Why does Rachel want Cates to apologize?
10. Why does Cates leave the church that Rachel's father preaches at? Does she hold this against Cates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Out of the following three characters, determine who you feel has the most to win or lose with Cates' court case and why. Back up your theory with specific examples from the text.
- Reverend Brown.
Essay Topic 2
Popular opinion shapes how Brady feels about himself throughout Inherit the Wind. Choose one of the following moments from the play and analyze how it helped or hurt Brady's self-confidence and why.
1) The way Brady was greeted when he arrived in town.
2) The time Brady served on the witness stand.
3) The speech Brady made on the radio, following the verdict.
Essay Topic 3
Relationships are an important part of Inherit the Wind, as they show us how other characters treat one another. Choose one of the following relationships and explain what you have learned about the participants, based on their relationships with one another.
- Mr. and Mrs. Brady.
- Rachel and Reverend Brown.
- Rachel and Cates.
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)