Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
2. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
3. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
4. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
5. Brady is called Colonel in spite of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
2. Why does Rachel stand on the sidelines instead of participating in the prayer meeting?
3. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
4. How is the attentiveness to Brady's speech post-trial different from the other times he has spoken?
5. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
6. When Bannister states that he wants the front seat in the jury box because "its going to be quite a show", what does this say about his opinion of the trial?
7. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
8. Brady says that Cates' "bigoted opinions" will not be forgotten by the community, even if they are removed from court record. What does this say about the power of ideas?
9. Although Cates lost, it is said that he won. Why?
10. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
Popular opinion shapes how Brady feels about himself throughout Inherit the Wind. Choose one of the following moments from the play and analyze how it helped or hurt Brady's self-confidence and why.
1) The way Brady was greeted when he arrived in town.
2) The time Brady served on the witness stand.
3) The speech Brady made on the radio, following the verdict.
Brady mentions several cases that Drummond has worked on in the past. What are these cases? What do they say about Drummond's character as a man and as a lawyer?
Drummond and Brady are revealed to be old friends who have fallen away from their friendship with one another. Answer the following:
Part 1) When are Brady and Drummond friends? What do they have in common?
Part 2) Why do they grow apart? Who regrets the distance?
Part 3) At any point in Inherit the Wind, is there hope of rekindling the friendship? Why or why not?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)