|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Drummond say about Cates when Rachel asks about him?
2. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
3. Rachel asks Drummond if Cates is a what?
4. What color are the suspenders Drummond wears to court in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
Short Essay Questions
1. Brady says that Cates' "bigoted opinions" will not be forgotten by the community, even if they are removed from court record. What does this say about the power of ideas?
2. Hornbeck says progress has made ordinary people obsolete. What is meant by this statement?
3. Why is it ironic that Reverend Brown is in a bad mood the first time the audience meets him, yet he scolds others for not having community spirit?
4. How does Brady change the word evolution to demonstrate his opinion on the topic?
5. Why does Drummond protest the "Read Your Bible" sign?
6. Why does Brady suggest Howard may become Godless if Cates is not found guilty?
7. When Rachel's father turns on her, who defends her? Does this make this character more likable?
8. At what point does Drummond accept Siller as a juror?
9. Why can't the Origin of Species be taught in Hillsboro?
10. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Drummond is appointed "temporary Honorary Colonel" by the Mayor, Drummond is shocked to hear that his title will be permanent when the "right forms are signed". Drummond is troubled by this as he, like Brady, did not serve time in the military. Analyze why the Mayor's power to bestow this undeserved honor is significant to the story.
Essay Topic 2
There are moments in Inherit the Wind where Drummond is referred to as the devil.
Part 1) How is the devil defined in this context?
Part 2) Who considers Drummond to be the devil?
Part 3) Do you agree with this nickname? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the final moment of Inherit the Wind, when Drummond balances both the Bible and Darwin's Origin of Species in his hands, finally leaving with both.
Part 1) Why does Drummond weigh both books together?
Part 2) When Drummond leaves, why does he leave with both books?
Part 3) At the beginning of the play, do you feel he would have done the same? Why or why not?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)