Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
2. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
3. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
4. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
5. Brady is called Colonel in spite of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
2. Why does Rachel stand on the sidelines instead of participating in the prayer meeting?
3. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
4. How is the attentiveness to Brady's speech post-trial different from the other times he has spoken?
5. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
6. When Bannister states that he wants the front seat in the jury box because "its going to be quite a show", what does this say about his opinion of the trial?
7. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
8. Brady says that Cates' "bigoted opinions" will not be forgotten by the community, even if they are removed from court record. What does this say about the power of ideas?
9. Although Cates lost, it is said that he won. Why?
10. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
Essay Topic 1
Cates is on trial for breaking a law; teaching Darwinism in his classroom. In court, Drummond makes Cates' case about something different altogether.
Part 1) What does Drummond make Cates' case about?
Part 2) How does this angle change the outcome of the case?
Part 3) If Drummond had not changed the angle, do you believe Cates would have gone to jail? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Drummond states that his experience with the law is like being on a merry-go-round. Why is this? What are some moments from Inherit the Wind that back up his theory?
Essay Topic 3
Brady mentions several cases that Drummond has worked on in the past. What are these cases? What do they say about Drummond's character as a man and as a lawyer?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)