|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
2. In Act One, who makes a secret visit to Hillsboro Jail?
3. Drummond believes what to be essential to clear thought?
4. To Rachel, Hornbeck claims to be on whose side?
5. How does Rachel describe Brady to Cates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
2. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
3. Why does Reverend Brown preach from the book of Genesis at the prayer meeting?
4. How does Brady change the word evolution to demonstrate his opinion on the topic?
5. What is Howard's reaction to the teachings he receives on evolution?
6. Why does Drummond protest the "Read Your Bible" sign?
7. Why is the appearance of a monkey important in Act One?
8. At what point does Drummond accept Siller as a juror?
9. What are Drummond's views on language and communication? When does he express these?
10. The Mayor refuses to remove the title of Colonel from Brady; instead, he awards a similar title to Drummond when Drummond complains. What does this action demonstrate about the town's mentality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on evidence from the play, explain the economic state of Hillsboro. Argue for or against the idea that religion is a significant form of commerce for Hillsboro. Cite specific examples from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are an important part of Inherit the Wind, as they show us how other characters treat one another. Choose one of the following relationships and explain what you have learned about the participants, based on their relationships with one another.
- Mr. and Mrs. Brady.
- Rachel and Reverend Brown.
- Rachel and Cates.
Essay Topic 3
When Brady comes to town, he does so with fanfare and promises. Analyze the following promises he made to people and whether or not he delivered.
Part 1) What does Brady promise Davenport? What does he promise the people of Hillsboro?
Part 2) Is it important for Brady to hold up his word? Why or why not? Cite examples from the text.
Part 3) When Brady does not hold up his word or fails at his promised outcome, how does this affect him? Why?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)