|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" teach?
2. Why does Davenport accept Bannister for the jury?
3. Drummond is awarded what title by the Mayor?
4. Drummond refers to what as "Brown's product"?
5. How does Rachel describe Brady to Cates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Drummond attempt to dismiss Dunlap without asking him any questions?
2. Why does Drummond call Brady to the stand to speak about the Bible?
3. Why does Drummond ask Brady if the story of Jonah, found in the Bible, should be taken literally? What is Drummond suggesting when he asks this question?
4. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
5. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
6. What is Howard's reaction to the teachings he receives on evolution?
7. Does the phrase "fuss and feathers" sound like something the character of Drummond would typically say? Why or why not? If not, why is he saying it?
8. What is Cates' punishment, assigned by the judge after the verdict is read?
9. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
10. Although Cates lost, it is said that he won. Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Howard torments Melinda at the beginning of the play, she threatens to tell her father about Howard's ideas.
Part 1) What does Howard tell Melinda?
Part 2) Why is she scared of his ideas?
Part 3) When she threatens to tell her father, how does this parallel Rachel's relationship with her father?
Essay Topic 2
Brady and Drummond are the two main characters of the play, both fighting to win over the town and of course, their side of the case. Choose either Brady or Drummond and analyze the following.
Part 1) Describe this character based on what is said about him before he arrives in Hillsboro.
Part 2) Compare this image to who he is when he arrives.
Part 3) Analyze how and why he has changed by the time he departs.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the scene where Drummond gives Cates the option of backing out of the trial.
Part 1) Why does Cates choose to continue the trial?
Part 2) Is this the choice Drummond wants him to make? Why?
Part 3) Is this the choice Rachel wants him to make? Why?
This section contains 1,711 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)