|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
2. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
3. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
4. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
5. Brady is called Colonel in spite of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
2. Why does Rachel stand on the sidelines instead of participating in the prayer meeting?
3. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
4. How is the attentiveness to Brady's speech post-trial different from the other times he has spoken?
5. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
6. When Bannister states that he wants the front seat in the jury box because "its going to be quite a show", what does this say about his opinion of the trial?
7. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
8. Brady says that Cates' "bigoted opinions" will not be forgotten by the community, even if they are removed from court record. What does this say about the power of ideas?
9. Although Cates lost, it is said that he won. Why?
10. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the scene where Drummond gives Cates the option of backing out of the trial.
Part 1) Why does Cates choose to continue the trial?
Part 2) Is this the choice Drummond wants him to make? Why?
Part 3) Is this the choice Rachel wants him to make? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing from one of the following, write an essay on how this character has changed throughout Inherit the Wind. Include who they were at the start of the play, the pivotal moment that changed them, and who they were by the end.
Essay Topic 3
Popular opinion shapes how Brady feels about himself throughout Inherit the Wind. Choose one of the following moments from the play and analyze how it helped or hurt Brady's self-confidence and why.
1) The way Brady was greeted when he arrived in town.
2) The time Brady served on the witness stand.
3) The speech Brady made on the radio, following the verdict.
This section contains 1,695 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)