|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brady is called Colonel in spite of what?
(a) His inabilily to pronounce it.
(b) The fact that he was a general.
(c) His inability to spell it.
(d) His lack of military service.
2. The Storekeeper thinks opinions are what?
(a) Unnecessary and confusing.
(b) Bad for business.
(c) Only for men.
(d) Good on a hot day.
3. Drummond is awarded what title by the Mayor?
(a) Temporary Honorary Colonel.
(b) Head Colonel.
(c) Head of State.
(d) Temporary Town Captain.
4. According to Cates, the townspeople are treating him worse than who?
(a) The monkey.
(b) A murderer.
(c) That publishing company in Chicago.
(d) An adulterer.
5. Prior to accepting the jury, who does the judge rule as out of order?
(d) Drummond and Brady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Hornbeck asks Elijah if he is a what?
2. What does Drummond say about Cates when Rachel asks about him?
3. Who announces the meeting held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
4. In Act One, who makes a secret visit to Hillsboro Jail?
5. Drummond believes what to be essential to clear thought?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Rachel's conflicted loyalty between her father and Cates symbolize?
2. Why does Reverend Brown preach from the book of Genesis at the prayer meeting?
3. Brady is portrayed as a somewhat gluttonous character throughout the play. As gluttony appears in the Bible as a sin, this demonstrates that Brady is willing to judge others on their sins but is unwilling to chastise himself. Why?
4. Why is it ironic that Reverend Brown is in a bad mood the first time the audience meets him, yet he scolds others for not having community spirit?
5. When Rachel's father turns on her, who defends her? Does this make this character more likable?
6. Why does Drummond call Brady to the stand to speak about the Bible?
7. Why can't the Origin of Species be taught in Hillsboro?
8. What does the presence of the radio man signify?
9. After collapsing, what speech does Brady give as he is being carried away?
10. Hornbeck refers to the prayer meeting as a show. What moments so far in the play have also created a show-like atmosphere, and why?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)