|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Melinda sees Drummond's shadow, she thinks it is what?
(a) The devil.
(b) A snake.
(c) Bert Cates.
(d) The monkey.
2. What type of meeting is held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
(a) Civil rights.
(b) City council.
3. Howard tells Melinda that her father originated as what?
(a) A bird.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A worm.
(d) A dog.
4. Why does Davenport accept Bannister for the jury?
(a) He's old.
(b) He's a church goer.
(c) He hates Cates.
(d) He loves serving on juries.
5. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
(b) Laundering money.
(d) Killing the messenger.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Storekeeper thinks opinions are what?
2. Bert Cates is in jail for what crime?
3. What type of jury does Drummond say that Brady wants?
4. What is Cates unsure of?
5. What does Drummond ask Rachel about her mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. At what point does Drummond accept Siller as a juror?
2. When Rachel visits Cates in jail, what does she urge him to do, and why?
3. Why is Rachel willing to testify against Cates?
4. Why does Drummond call Brady to the stand to speak about the Bible?
5. What is Cates' punishment, assigned by the judge after the verdict is read?
6. The prayer meeting becomes an act of entertainment. How does religion as entertainment affect the townspeople's commitment to it?
7. Why does Cates leave the church that Rachel's father preaches at? Does she hold this against Cates?
8. At the end of Act One, Drummond is left alone on the stage. What does this moment signify?
9. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
10. Why is the appearance of a monkey important in Act One?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)