|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Sillers work?
(a) At a feed store.
(b) The railroad.
(c) The grocery.
(d) School, with Cates.
2. Where is Inherit the Wind set?
3. According to Hornbeck, who is the monkey's greatest descendant?
(a) Reverend Brown.
4. The Storekeeper thinks opinions are what?
(a) Good on a hot day.
(b) Only for men.
(c) Unnecessary and confusing.
(d) Bad for business.
5. According to Cates, the townspeople are treating him worse than who?
(a) An adulterer.
(b) A murderer.
(c) The monkey.
(d) That publishing company in Chicago.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
2. What color are the suspenders Drummond wears to court in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. Howard tells Melinda that she originated as what?
4. What name does Hornbeck give the monkey in Act One?
5. To Rachel, Hornbeck claims to be on whose side?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why can't the Origin of Species be taught in Hillsboro?
2. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
3. After collapsing, what speech does Brady give as he is being carried away?
4. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
5. Why is it ironic that Reverend Brown is in a bad mood the first time the audience meets him, yet he scolds others for not having community spirit?
6. How does Drummond try to win over the crowd at the beginning of the trial?
7. What is Drummond's philosophy about laughter? Why?
8. Why do the workers choose to leave the "Read Your Bible" sign up on the courthouse? What does this signify?
9. At the end of Act One, Drummond is left alone on the stage. What does this moment signify?
10. At what point does Drummond accept Siller as a juror?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)