|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Howard tells Melinda that she originated as what?
(a) An ape.
(b) A worm.
(c) A frog.
(d) A monkey.
2. What is Cates unsure of?
(a) Whether he has committed a crime.
(b) If Rachel loves him.
(c) If he even likes teaching.
(d) Whether Drummond is on his side.
3. When Melinda sees Drummond's shadow, she thinks it is what?
(a) The devil.
(b) The monkey.
(c) Bert Cates.
(d) A snake.
4. What name does Hornbeck give the monkey in Act One?
(a) Bert Cates.
(d) Reverend Brown.
5. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" teach?
(a) The Gospel.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sillers work?
2. The Storekeeper thinks opinions are what?
3. Who approaches Drummond immediately following the jury selection?
4. According to Hornbeck, who is the monkey's greatest descendant?
5. Drummond is awarded what title by the Mayor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cates leave the church that Rachel's father preaches at? Does she hold this against Cates?
2. Why does Drummond protest the "Read Your Bible" sign?
3. At the end of Act One, Drummond is left alone on the stage. What does this moment signify?
4. Describe the character, Rachel.
5. When Brady and Drummond speak about their friendship, which character seems to regret the loss?
6. Why does Drummond attempt to dismiss Dunlap without asking him any questions?
7. Why is Rachel willing to testify against Cates?
8. Why does Drummond take both the Bible and the Origin of Species when he leaves town?
9. Is Brady respected by the townspeople? Why?
10. Brady and Drummond were once friends. What do the two characters have in common?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)