|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Cates unsure of?
(a) Whether he has committed a crime.
(b) If he even likes teaching.
(c) If Rachel loves him.
(d) Whether Drummond is on his side.
2. Drummond refers to what as "Brown's product"?
(c) The Bible.
3. Cates believes Rachel's opinions are from whom?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
4. What type of jury does Brady want?
(a) One that conforms to the patterns of society.
(b) Fair and partial.
(c) Pious older women.
(d) Forward thinking intellects.
5. Why does Bannister want the front seat in the jury box?
(a) He has terrible vision.
(b) He won't fall asleep.
(c) He is incredibly short.
(d) The trial will be a show.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Melinda sees Drummond's shadow, she thinks it is what?
2. How is Brady's physicality described?
3. Where is Inherit the Wind set?
4. What ability does Bannister lack?
5. According to Drummond, those who hold up the progression of society are what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Howard's reaction to the teachings he receives on evolution?
2. When Rachel visits Cates in jail, what does she urge him to do, and why?
3. Brady says that Cates' "bigoted opinions" will not be forgotten by the community, even if they are removed from court record. What does this say about the power of ideas?
4. What is Cates' punishment, assigned by the judge after the verdict is read?
5. What is significant about the opening interaction between Howard and Melinda?
6. Define Drummond's word "clock-stoppers".
7. When Reverend Brown asks God to curse his daughter for her defense of Cates, what does this say about his character?
8. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
9. Brady is portrayed as a somewhat gluttonous character throughout the play. As gluttony appears in the Bible as a sin, this demonstrates that Brady is willing to judge others on their sins but is unwilling to chastise himself. Why?
10. Why does Reverend Brown preach from the book of Genesis at the prayer meeting?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)