|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who notices the train when Brady is arriving?
(d) Reverend Brown.
2. What song does the town sing to greet Brady?
(a) "The Star Spangled Banner."
(b) "America the Beautiful."
(d) "Old Time Religion."
3. Prior to accepting the jury, who does the judge rule as out of order?
(c) Drummond and Brady.
4. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" directly conflict with?
(c) The Bible.
5. Rachel tells Hornbeck all answers to existence are found where?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The stars.
(d) The heavens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who encourages the town to greet Brady's arrival?
2. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
3. What is Rachel scared of as a child?
4. What ability does Bannister lack?
5. Drummond believes what type of people never experience confusion?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Rachel want Cates to apologize?
2. When Rachel's father turns on her, who defends her? Does this make this character more likable?
3. What is Howard's reaction to the teachings he receives on evolution?
4. Why does Reverend Brown preach from the book of Genesis at the prayer meeting?
5. Why does Drummond take both the Bible and the Origin of Species when he leaves town?
6. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
7. Hornbeck refers to the prayer meeting as a show. What moments so far in the play have also created a show-like atmosphere, and why?
8. Why does Drummond object to the judge's announcement regarding the prayer meeting?
9. Why does Brady suggest Howard may become Godless if Cates is not found guilty?
10. What is the purpose behind Brady asking if Drummond's suspenders are fashionable in Chicago?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)