|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the storekeeper and Mrs. Krebs discuss in Act One?
(a) The price of milk.
(b) The innocence of Bert Cates.
(c) Brady and public opinion.
(d) The weather and the devil.
2. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
3. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
(a) Killing the messenger.
(d) Laundering money.
4. Why does Davenport accept Bannister for the jury?
(a) He hates Cates.
(b) He's a church goer.
(c) He's old.
(d) He loves serving on juries.
5. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" teach?
(a) The Gospel.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
2. Where does the opening of Act One take place?
3. What name does Hornbeck give the monkey in Act One?
4. There is a banner put up before Brady arrives. What does it say?
5. What ability does Bannister lack?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Rachel visits Cates in jail, what does she urge him to do, and why?
2. How does the crowd react when Cates is found guilty? Is this a different outcome than expected?
3. What are Drummond's views on language and communication? When does he express these?
4. What is evolution? What is the story of creation in the Bible?
5. Hornbeck just listens to Brady's speech, unlike the other reporters, who hang on Brady's every word. What does this tell the audience about Hornbeck?
6. What is Drummond's philosophy about laughter? Why?
7. Hornbeck says progress has made ordinary people obsolete. What is meant by this statement?
8. Why is the appearance of a monkey important in Act One?
9. Brady and Drummond were once friends. What do the two characters have in common?
10. The prayer meeting becomes an act of entertainment. How does religion as entertainment affect the townspeople's commitment to it?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)