|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hornbeck call the monkey the "father of the human race"?
(a) He studies the Bible.
(b) He takes a penny from Melinda.
(c) He claps his hands at the spectacle.
(d) He kisses Melinda on the cheek.
2. What does Drummond ask Dunlap prior to rejecting him for the jury?
(a) If he reads the Bible.
(b) Whether he believes in God.
(c) If he loves his mother.
(d) How he is.
3. Who announces the meeting held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
(c) The judge.
4. Who is providing Cates with a lawyer?
(a) The Chicago Times.
(b) The Baltimore Herald.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) The school board.
5. Bert Cates is in jail for what crime?
(a) Vandalizing the church.
(c) Teaching evolution.
(d) Stealing bibles.
Short Answer Questions
1. Prior to Brady's arrival, Melinda sells what?
2. What song does the town sing to greet Brady?
3. What is Rachel scared of as a child?
4. According to Hornbeck, who is the monkey's greatest descendant?
5. The first time Brady enters town, who is he with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the appearance of a monkey important in Act One?
2. How is the attentiveness to Brady's speech post-trial different from the other times he has spoken?
3. What is Howard's reaction to the teachings he receives on evolution?
4. Why does Drummond protest the "Read Your Bible" sign?
5. Why does Cates leave the church that Rachel's father preaches at? Does she hold this against Cates?
6. At the end of Act One, Drummond is left alone on the stage. What does this moment signify?
7. Define Drummond's word "clock-stoppers".
8. Why is Rachel willing to testify against Cates?
9. When Rachel visits Cates in jail, what does she urge him to do, and why?
10. Why does Drummond bring up horse racing while awaiting the verdict?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)