|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
(a) She thinks it is quite comical.
(b) She argues with him.
(c) She hopes it is true.
(d) She agrees with him.
2. When Rachel runs away from Cates, what does he do?
(a) Chases her down and kisses her.
(b) Chases her down and hugs her.
(c) Chases her down and fights with her.
(d) Lets her go.
3. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
(c) Killing the messenger.
(d) Laundering money.
4. The Storekeeper thinks opinions are what?
(a) Unnecessary and confusing.
(b) Good on a hot day.
(c) Bad for business.
(d) Only for men.
5. Where is Inherit the Wind set?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Sillers work?
2. Why does Bannister want the front seat in the jury box?
3. The townspeople hope Brady's presence will provide what?
4. What name does Hornbeck give the monkey in Act One?
5. Rachel tells Hornbeck all answers to existence are found where?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Drummond's philosophy about laughter? Why?
2. Hornbeck just listens to Brady's speech, unlike the other reporters, who hang on Brady's every word. What does this tell the audience about Hornbeck?
3. What is Howard's reaction to the teachings he receives on evolution?
4. Why is the appearance of a monkey important in Act One?
5. The prayer meeting becomes an act of entertainment. How does religion as entertainment affect the townspeople's commitment to it?
6. Cates reveals to Rachel that he taught Darwinism in his classroom because he "thought he was right". What does this tell the reader about Cates' character?
7. Does the phrase "fuss and feathers" sound like something the character of Drummond would typically say? Why or why not? If not, why is he saying it?
8. Although Cates lost, it is said that he won. Why?
9. Cates declares that he is being treated worse than who? Why does he say this?
10. Why does Reverend Brown preach from the book of Genesis at the prayer meeting?
This section contains 732 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)