|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Cates leave Rachel's church?
(a) He does not believe in God.
(b) She found his presence immoral.
(c) The church did not like him.
(d) Due to a sermon her father gave.
2. What does Cates suggest Howard could become?
(a) A Godless person.
(b) A scientist.
3. What is the crowd asked to do during the prayer meeting?
(a) Affirm their beliefs.
(b) Shun those who are against them.
(c) Run Drummond out of town.
(d) Pray for Cates.
4. Who does Brady speak to at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
(b) The townspeople.
5. What does Brady complain to Hornbeck about?
(a) The bias against him.
(b) The heat.
(c) The Bible.
(d) His terrible writing skills.
6. Drummond asks Howard if Cates taught him what?
(a) God created the universe.
(b) Every snowflake is different.
(c) Conformity is dulling.
(d) The world was once thought flat.
7. What old friends have a conversation after the prayer meeting?
(a) Brady and Reverend Brown.
(b) Reverend Brown and Drummond.
(c) Brady and Drummond.
(d) Rachel and Cates.
8. What does Reverend Brown preach at the end of the prayer meeting?
(b) Hellfire and damnation.
(c) Judging thy neighbor.
(d) Offering a hand to the weary.
9. How does Brady define sex when questioned by Drummond?
(a) Necessary for procreation.
(b) Original sin.
(c) Inaccurate in the Bible.
(d) For those who are married.
10. Initially, who does Reverend Brown ask for God to strike down during the prayer meeting?
(d) The judge.
11. Cates claims the books of "Evil-utionists" are filled with what?
(b) Diagrams for living.
(c) The works of the devil.
(d) Great ideas.
12. Who does Brady claim he was once friends with?
(a) The President.
(c) Reverend Brown.
13. Which witness is dismissed, prior to Drummond's cross-examination?
(b) No one.
(c) Reverend Brown.
14. What is the theme of the prayer meeting?
(a) Loving thy neighbor.
(b) The story of creation.
(c) The devil.
(d) The end of the world.
15. What does Drummond ask Brady about the Bible?
(a) If he likes reading it.
(b) Why more people don't read it.
(c) Whether it is affordable.
(d) If it should be taken literally.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose testimony does Cates interrupt?
2. What book does Drummond attempt to read out loud in court?
3. Cates claims religion should be what?
4. What does Brady refuse to accept about Drummond?
5. What happens to Drummond's second witness?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)