|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Brady claim God can do to science?
(a) Cancel it.
(b) Control it.
(c) Teach through it.
(d) Squash it.
2. Before the prayer meeting, Reverend Brown describes the townspeople as what?
(a) In line for damnation.
(b) A flock that requires guidance.
(c) Desperate to believe.
(d) Fervent in their beliefs.
3. During the prayer meeting, who does Reverend Brown add to the list to be struck down?
(d) His daughter.
4. What are the workmen building at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A prayer meeting platform.
(b) A new cell for the jail.
(c) A cross.
(d) A house.
5. What type of believer does Drummond claim to be?
6. What does Drummond suggest about Brady and how he lives his life?
(a) He is behind the times.
(b) He is on a path to self-destruction.
(c) He is the perfect representation of a monkey.
(d) His vanity will get him in the end.
7. What does Reverend Brown preach at the end of the prayer meeting?
(a) Judging thy neighbor.
(b) Offering a hand to the weary.
(d) Hellfire and damnation.
8. Which witness is dismissed, prior to Drummond's cross-examination?
(a) Reverend Brown.
(d) No one.
9. Cates claims the books of "Evil-utionists" are filled with what?
(a) Diagrams for living.
(c) The works of the devil.
(d) Great ideas.
10. Brady claims that Cates sees marriage as similar to what?
(a) His jail cell.
(b) The breeding of animals.
(c) Being on trial.
11. Brady refers to the opinions Cates delivers in court as what?
(b) A waste of time.
12. What does Brady complain to Hornbeck about?
(a) The heat.
(b) The Bible.
(c) His terrible writing skills.
(d) The bias against him.
13. Drummond suggests that anyone who is "against Brady" is what?
(a) For God.
(b) A free thinker.
(c) Going to jail.
(d) Against God.
14. What does Brady refuse to accept about Drummond?
(a) Lack of ambition.
(b) Different ideas.
(c) Desire to run for office.
(d) Compassion for the poor.
15. Who is scheduled as Drummond's first witness?
(c) A zoology professor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What book does Drummond attempt to read out loud in court?
2. How does Cates regard Rachel when she takes the stand?
3. At the end of the prayer meeting, what does the crowd's response to Brady signify?
4. What surprise witness does Drummond call to the stand?
5. The judge is willing to hear an expert on what?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)