|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cates suggest Howard could become?
(c) A scientist.
(d) A Godless person.
2. Drummond's first witness is not allowed to teach what to the courtroom?
(a) The theory of evolution.
(b) Cates' opinion of the Bible.
(c) Flaws in Genesis.
3. According to Drummond, what is more important than what is "right"?
4. What does Brady complain to Hornbeck about?
(a) His terrible writing skills.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The heat.
(d) The bias against him.
5. Why does Cates leave Rachel's church?
(a) Due to a sermon her father gave.
(b) She found his presence immoral.
(c) He does not believe in God.
(d) The church did not like him.
6. At the end of the prayer meeting, what does the crowd's response to Brady signify?
(a) That he will win his case.
(b) Their ability to change.
(c) That he will lose his case.
(d) Their small town stubborness.
7. What does the workman say to justify leaving up the prayer sign on the courthouse?
(a) "It's too heavy to take down."
(b) "We'll put up a sign for Cates' case, too."
(c) "Half the people can't read anyway."
(d) "The devil don't run this town."
8. What happens to Drummond's second witness?
(a) He sides with Brady.
(b) He is murdered.
(c) He does not show up.
(d) The judge bars him from speaking.
9. Whose testimony does Cates interrupt?
(a) His mother.
(d) Reverend Brown.
10. How does Cates regard Rachel when she takes the stand?
(a) He refuses to look at her.
(b) With a hopeless expression.
(c) He winks at her.
(d) He blows her a kiss.
11. Cates claims religion should be what?
12. How does Hornbeck classify the prayer meeting?
(a) A show.
(c) Something he has to report on.
13. Who does Brady claim he will fight, no matter what?
(a) Anyone against women.
(b) Hard-nosed criminals.
(c) Those who stand in his way.
(d) Anyone who opposes the Bible.
14. Who is alone on the stage at the end of Act One?
15. During the prayer meeting, who does Reverend Brown add to the list to be struck down?
(b) His daughter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise witness does Drummond call to the stand?
2. Drummond believes Cates is really on trial for what?
3. What does Brady refuse to accept about Drummond?
4. What book does Drummond attempt to read out loud in court?
5. What does Hornbeck say he is not?
This section contains 438 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)