|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brady accuses Drummond of what after the prayer meeting?
(a) Ruining his chances for future elections.
(b) Moving far away from him.
(c) Selling his soul to the devil.
(d) Bribing the judge.
2. What does the workman say to justify leaving up the prayer sign on the courthouse?
(a) "Half the people can't read anyway."
(b) "It's too heavy to take down."
(c) "The devil don't run this town."
(d) "We'll put up a sign for Cates' case, too."
3. During the prayer meeting, who does Reverend Brown add to the list to be struck down?
(c) His daughter.
4. How does Cates regard Rachel when she takes the stand?
(a) He blows her a kiss.
(b) He winks at her.
(c) He refuses to look at her.
(d) With a hopeless expression.
5. Who does Brady speak to at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
(d) The townspeople.
6. What belief does Brady suggest to the crowd is equally Christian?
7. What are the workmen building at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A house.
(b) A prayer meeting platform.
(c) A new cell for the jail.
(d) A cross.
8. Cates claims religion should be what?
9. Cates claims the books of "Evil-utionists" are filled with what?
(b) The works of the devil.
(c) Great ideas.
(d) Diagrams for living.
10. What does Cates suggest Howard could become?
(b) A scientist.
(c) A Godless person.
11. During the prayer meeting, who asks Reverend Brown to lesson his hard stance?
12. What does Brady refuse to accept about Drummond?
(a) Desire to run for office.
(b) Different ideas.
(c) Compassion for the poor.
(d) Lack of ambition.
13. What is the crowd asked to do during the prayer meeting?
(a) Affirm their beliefs.
(b) Run Drummond out of town.
(c) Pray for Cates.
(d) Shun those who are against them.
14. What does Brady suggest the prayer meeting might do for Hornbeck?
15. At the end of the prayer meeting, who sends the crowd home?
(c) Reverend Brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drummond believes Cates is really on trial for what?
2. At the prayer meeting, who is visibly upset by Reverend Brown's curses?
3. What does Drummond ask Brady about the Bible?
4. Who is scheduled as Drummond's first witness?
5. Drummond suggests that anyone who is "against Brady" is what?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)