|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who chants responses during the prayer meeting?
(a) Brady, as a guest.
(b) Rachel, from the stage.
(c) The crowd.
(d) Reverend Brown.
2. Drummond's first witness is not allowed to teach what to the courtroom?
(a) Cates' opinion of the Bible.
(b) Flaws in Genesis.
(d) The theory of evolution.
3. What does the judge say is not on trial?
(a) Curiosity of the heavens.
(b) Rachel and her morals.
(c) The townspeople and their beliefs.
(d) The right to think.
4. Brady accuses Drummond of what after the prayer meeting?
(a) Selling his soul to the devil.
(b) Moving far away from him.
(c) Bribing the judge.
(d) Ruining his chances for future elections.
5. At the end of the prayer meeting, what does the crowd's response to Brady signify?
(a) Their ability to change.
(b) That he will lose his case.
(c) That he will win his case.
(d) Their small town stubborness.
6. What does the workman say to justify leaving up the prayer sign on the courthouse?
(a) "It's too heavy to take down."
(b) "The devil don't run this town."
(c) "We'll put up a sign for Cates' case, too."
(d) "Half the people can't read anyway."
7. What book does Drummond attempt to read out loud in court?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Collected Works of William Shakespeare.
(c) The Origin of Species.
(d) Brady's Journal.
8. Drummond asks Brady why God gives people the ability to what?
9. What happens to Drummond's second witness?
(a) He sides with Brady.
(b) He does not show up.
(c) He is murdered.
(d) The judge bars him from speaking.
10. During the prayer meeting, who does Reverend Brown add to the list to be struck down?
(d) His daughter.
11. What book does Brady admit he has not read?
(a) The Bible.
(b) The Origin of Species.
(c) The rules of the case.
(d) Much of anything.
12. Cates claims the books of "Evil-utionists" are filled with what?
(a) Great ideas.
(b) Diagrams for living.
(c) The works of the devil.
13. What is the crowd asked to do during the prayer meeting?
(a) Run Drummond out of town.
(b) Shun those who are against them.
(c) Affirm their beliefs.
(d) Pray for Cates.
14. What does Brady suggest the prayer meeting might do for Hornbeck?
15. At the prayer meeting, who is visibly upset by Reverend Brown's curses?
(b) The whole town.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drummond believes Cates is really on trial for what?
2. Why is Drummond's first witness not allowed to speak?
3. What does Reverend Brown preach at the end of the prayer meeting?
4. What old friends have a conversation after the prayer meeting?
5. What does Brady refuse to accept about Drummond?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)