|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the crowd asked to do during the prayer meeting?
(a) Run Drummond out of town.
(b) Affirm their beliefs.
(c) Shun those who are against them.
(d) Pray for Cates.
2. Drummond asks Howard if these objects, not listed in the Bible, are evil.
(a) Telegraph and postage stamps.
(b) Tractor and telephone.
(c) Candy and apple pie.
(d) The Bible and his ink pen.
3. Brady claims that Cates sees marriage as similar to what?
(a) His jail cell.
(b) The breeding of animals.
(c) Being on trial.
4. Before the prayer meeting, Reverend Brown describes the townspeople as what?
(a) In line for damnation.
(b) A flock that requires guidance.
(c) Fervent in their beliefs.
(d) Desperate to believe.
5. What type of believer does Drummond claim to be?
6. Drummond asks Howard if he has committed what crime?
7. Referencing the Bible, Brady claims the earth is how old?
(a) 100 years.
(b) 5 million years.
(c) 10 million years.
(d) 6,000 years.
8. What does Reverend Brown preach at the end of the prayer meeting?
(b) Hellfire and damnation.
(c) Judging thy neighbor.
(d) Offering a hand to the weary.
9. Why is Drummond's first witness not allowed to speak?
(a) The topic is too sensitive.
(b) Brady suggests the witness is in contempt.
(c) The topic is against the law.
(d) The judge does not like the witness.
10. What does Hornbeck claim to be?
(a) A silent observer.
(b) A martyr.
(c) A Pulitzer Prize seeker.
(d) A critic.
11. How does Cates regard Rachel when she takes the stand?
(a) He refuses to look at her.
(b) He blows her a kiss.
(c) With a hopeless expression.
(d) He winks at her.
12. In court, Drummond says he wants religion to stop doing what?
(a) Scaring its followers.
(b) Recruiting new believers.
(c) Persecuting non-believers.
(d) Controlling U.S. education.
13. What book does Drummond attempt to read out loud in court?
(a) The Bible.
(b) Collected Works of William Shakespeare.
(c) Brady's Journal.
(d) The Origin of Species.
14. What are the workmen building at the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) A new cell for the jail.
(b) A house.
(c) A prayer meeting platform.
(d) A cross.
15. What is Brady referencing when he says "Evil-ution"?
(a) Evil acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise witness does Drummond call to the stand?
2. What does the workman say to justify leaving up the prayer sign on the courthouse?
3. Cates claims religion should be what?
4. Initially, who does Reverend Brown ask for God to strike down during the prayer meeting?
5. What does Brady claim God can do to science?
This section contains 443 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)