|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
(a) Defend Cates to his best ability.
(b) Read his Bible.
(c) Call off the trial.
(d) Show some respect for her town.
2. How is Brady's physicality described?
(a) Anemic, hunched over.
(b) Old, distinguished, powerful.
(c) Young, attractive, on fire.
(d) Gray, balding, paunchy.
3. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" teach?
(c) The Gospel.
4. Drummond says that killing a wife is not as bad as killing what?
(a) A monkey.
(d) An old wives' tale.
5. What song does the town sing to greet Brady?
(b) "Old Time Religion."
(c) "America the Beautiful."
(d) "The Star Spangled Banner."
6. To Rachel, Hornbeck claims to be on whose side?
(b) Reverend Brown.
7. Drummond is awarded what title by the Mayor?
(a) Temporary Town Captain.
(b) Head Colonel.
(c) Temporary Honorary Colonel.
(d) Head of State.
8. The first time Brady enters town, who is he with?
(a) Reverend Brown and the Judge.
(c) Mrs. Brady, Reverend Brown, the District Attorney.
(d) A newspaper reporter from Washington, D.C.
9. How does Rachel describe Brady to Cates?
(a) "Hungry for power and reluctant to forgive."
(b) "The biggest man in the country."
(c) "A crusader for the wicked."
(d) "Scared of his own shadow."
10. Rachel asks Drummond if Cates is a what?
(d) Attention seeker.
11. The townspeople hope Brady's presence will provide what?
(a) Religious fervor.
(b) Media attention.
12. Drummond believes what type of people never experience confusion?
13. What is Rachel scared of as a child?
(a) Falling off the Earth.
(b) That she was the devil.
(c) Talking to God.
(d) That her father was the devil.
14. What ability does Bannister lack?
15. Who notices the train when Brady is arriving?
(b) Reverend Brown.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cates describes the conditions in jail as what?
2. Where does the opening of Act One take place?
3. What is Cates unsure of?
4. What does Drummond ask Dunlap prior to rejecting him for the jury?
5. Who announces the meeting held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)