|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who notices the train when Brady is arriving?
(b) Reverend Brown.
2. If Cates apologizes, Drummond feels that Cates will be what?
(b) Reinstated as a teacher.
3. Who does Rachel tell Drummond she is scared of?
(c) The monkey.
(d) Her father.
4. Rachel asks Drummond if Cates is a what?
(c) Attention seeker.
5. According to Drummond, those who hold up the progression of society are what?
(c) Religious parties.
6. Why does Hornbeck call the monkey the "father of the human race"?
(a) He studies the Bible.
(b) He takes a penny from Melinda.
(c) He kisses Melinda on the cheek.
(d) He claps his hands at the spectacle.
7. Who approaches Brady following the jury selection?
(b) No one.
(c) Many townspeople.
(d) The judge.
8. Where does the opening of Act One take place?
(a) Hillsboro Lake.
(b) Melinda's home.
(c) Hillsboro Courthouse.
(d) The town square.
9. What is Howard doing at the beginning of Act One?
(a) Witnessing a crime.
(b) Fighting his brother.
(c) Arguing with a monkey.
(d) Looking for worms.
10. Bert Cates is in jail for what crime?
(a) Vandalizing the church.
(c) Stealing bibles.
(d) Teaching evolution.
11. In Act One, what does Rachel try to convince Cates to do?
(a) Continue preaching his piece.
(b) Apologize for breaking the law.
(c) Escape from jail.
(d) Beg pardon from the governor.
12. Prior to Brady's arrival, Melinda sells what?
(a) Religious pamphlets.
(d) Fishing poles.
13. Rachel tells Hornbeck all answers to existence are found where?
(b) The heavens.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The stars.
14. Who announces the meeting held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
(a) The judge.
15. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
(a) Read his Bible.
(b) Defend Cates to his best ability.
(c) Show some respect for her town.
(d) Call off the trial.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act One, who makes a secret visit to Hillsboro Jail?
2. Drummond says that killing a wife is not as bad as killing what?
3. What type of jury does Drummond say that Brady wants?
4. Drummond believes what type of people never experience confusion?
5. Who encourages the town to greet Brady's arrival?
This section contains 380 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)