|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rachel describe Brady to Cates?
(a) "Hungry for power and reluctant to forgive."
(b) "The biggest man in the country."
(c) "A crusader for the wicked."
(d) "Scared of his own shadow."
2. What is Cates unsure of?
(a) If he even likes teaching.
(b) If Rachel loves him.
(c) Whether Drummond is on his side.
(d) Whether he has committed a crime.
3. Why does Davenport accept Bannister for the jury?
(a) He hates Cates.
(b) He's old.
(c) He's a church goer.
(d) He loves serving on juries.
4. Who does Rachel tell Drummond she is scared of?
(a) The monkey.
(b) Her father.
5. When Rachel runs away from Cates, what does he do?
(a) Chases her down and hugs her.
(b) Chases her down and fights with her.
(c) Lets her go.
(d) Chases her down and kisses her.
6. When Melinda sees Drummond's shadow, she thinks it is what?
(a) The monkey.
(b) A snake.
(c) The devil.
(d) Bert Cates.
7. If Cates apologizes, Drummond feels that Cates will be what?
(a) Reinstated as a teacher.
8. What does Rachel say Cates wants to do, following jury selection?
(b) Become a preacher.
(c) Hang himself.
(d) Die from the cold.
9. To Rachel, Hornbeck claims to be on whose side?
(d) Reverend Brown.
10. The first time Brady enters town, who is he with?
(a) Reverend Brown and the Judge.
(c) A newspaper reporter from Washington, D.C.
(d) Mrs. Brady, Reverend Brown, the District Attorney.
11. Rachel tells Hornbeck all answers to existence are found where?
(a) The heavens.
(b) The stars.
(c) The Bible.
12. Prior to accepting the jury, who does the judge rule as out of order?
(a) Drummond and Brady.
13. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" teach?
(d) The Gospel.
14. In Act One, who makes a secret visit to Hillsboro Jail?
(a) Mrs. Brady.
(d) Mrs. Krebs.
15. Prior to Brady's arrival, Melinda sells what?
(b) Fishing poles.
(c) Religious pamphlets.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Bannister want the front seat in the jury box?
2. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
3. Who announces the meeting held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
4. Rachel asks Drummond if Cates is a what?
5. Cates believes Rachel's opinions are from whom?
This section contains 408 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)