|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rachel describe Brady to Cates?
(a) "Scared of his own shadow."
(b) "Hungry for power and reluctant to forgive."
(c) "The biggest man in the country."
(d) "A crusader for the wicked."
2. What color are the suspenders Drummond wears to court in Act 1, Scene 2?
3. If Cates apologizes, Drummond feels that Cates will be what?
(b) Reinstated as a teacher.
4. Who does Rachel tell Drummond she is scared of?
(c) Her father.
(d) The monkey.
5. Prior to accepting the jury, who does the judge rule as out of order?
(b) Drummond and Brady.
6. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
(a) His height.
(b) His passion.
(c) His doctrine.
(d) His volume.
7. According to Cates, the townspeople are treating him worse than who?
(a) That publishing company in Chicago.
(b) The monkey.
(c) A murderer.
(d) An adulterer.
8. While in jail, what is Cates surprised by?
(a) That Drummond gives him a Bible.
(b) The "spectacle" of his trial.
(c) Rachel's devotion to him.
(d) His desire to win.
9. Who approaches Drummond immediately following the jury selection?
(a) No one.
(c) Many townspeople.
(d) The judge.
10. Where does the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) The courtroom.
(b) The town square.
(c) Drummond's home.
(d) Cates' jail cell.
11. According to Hornbeck, who is the monkey's greatest descendant?
(a) Reverend Brown.
12. Where does Sillers work?
(a) The grocery.
(b) School, with Cates.
(c) At a feed store.
(d) The railroad.
13. What song does the town sing to greet Brady?
(a) "Old Time Religion."
(c) "The Star Spangled Banner."
(d) "America the Beautiful."
14. What is Cates unsure of?
(a) If he even likes teaching.
(b) Whether Drummond is on his side.
(c) If Rachel loves him.
(d) Whether he has committed a crime.
15. Drummond believes what to be essential to clear thought?
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of jury does Drummond say that Brady wants?
2. Bert Cates is in jail for what crime?
3. Who notices the train when Brady is arriving?
4. When Rachel runs away from Cates, what does he do?
5. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)