|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Hornbeck call the monkey the "father of the human race"?
(a) He kisses Melinda on the cheek.
(b) He studies the Bible.
(c) He claps his hands at the spectacle.
(d) He takes a penny from Melinda.
2. Where is Inherit the Wind set?
3. When Rachel runs away from Cates, what does he do?
(a) Chases her down and hugs her.
(b) Chases her down and kisses her.
(c) Chases her down and fights with her.
(d) Lets her go.
4. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" directly conflict with?
(d) The Bible.
5. Rachel tells Hornbeck all answers to existence are found where?
(b) The stars.
(c) The Bible.
(d) The heavens.
6. Who does Rachel tell Drummond she is scared of?
(c) The monkey.
(d) Her father.
7. While in jail, what is Cates surprised by?
(a) His desire to win.
(b) That Drummond gives him a Bible.
(c) The "spectacle" of his trial.
(d) Rachel's devotion to him.
8. What is Howard doing at the beginning of Act One?
(a) Witnessing a crime.
(b) Arguing with a monkey.
(c) Looking for worms.
(d) Fighting his brother.
9. The first time Brady enters town, who is he with?
(a) Mrs. Brady, Reverend Brown, the District Attorney.
(b) Reverend Brown and the Judge.
(d) A newspaper reporter from Washington, D.C.
10. According to Cates, the townspeople are treating him worse than who?
(a) The monkey.
(b) That publishing company in Chicago.
(c) A murderer.
(d) An adulterer.
11. The townspeople hope Brady's presence will provide what?
(a) Religious fervor.
(c) Media attention.
12. Prior to accepting the jury, who does the judge rule as out of order?
(b) Drummond and Brady.
13. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
(a) His height.
(b) His doctrine.
(c) His volume.
(d) His passion.
14. Drummond refers to what as "Brown's product"?
(a) The Bible.
15. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
(a) Show some respect for her town.
(b) Call off the trial.
(c) Read his Bible.
(d) Defend Cates to his best ability.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who approaches Brady following the jury selection?
2. If Cates apologizes, Drummond feels that Cates will be what?
3. Who approaches Drummond immediately following the jury selection?
4. Rachel asks Drummond if Cates is a what?
5. What does Darwin's "Origin of Species" teach?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)