|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rachel runs away from Cates, what does he do?
(a) Lets her go.
(b) Chases her down and hugs her.
(c) Chases her down and fights with her.
(d) Chases her down and kisses her.
2. Brady is called Colonel in spite of what?
(a) His lack of military service.
(b) His inabilily to pronounce it.
(c) The fact that he was a general.
(d) His inability to spell it.
3. Bannister claims that Drummond represents who in the past?
(a) A serial killer from the North.
(b) Two child murderers in Chicago.
(c) Preachers from the South.
(d) A poacher from North Dakota.
4. Drummond refers to what as "Brown's product"?
(c) The Bible.
5. The townspeople hope Brady's presence will provide what?
(a) Religious fervor.
(b) Media attention.
6. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
(a) Show some respect for her town.
(b) Read his Bible.
(c) Defend Cates to his best ability.
(d) Call off the trial.
7. Who announces the meeting held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
(d) The judge.
8. The first time Brady enters town, who is he with?
(a) A newspaper reporter from Washington, D.C.
(b) Mrs. Brady, Reverend Brown, the District Attorney.
(d) Reverend Brown and the Judge.
9. Why does Davenport accept Bannister for the jury?
(a) He's a church goer.
(b) He hates Cates.
(c) He's old.
(d) He loves serving on juries.
10. Why does Hornbeck call the monkey the "father of the human race"?
(a) He claps his hands at the spectacle.
(b) He kisses Melinda on the cheek.
(c) He takes a penny from Melinda.
(d) He studies the Bible.
11. Howard tells Melinda that her father originated as what?
(a) A monkey.
(b) A worm.
(c) A dog.
(d) A bird.
12. What does Drummond ask Dunlap prior to rejecting him for the jury?
(a) Whether he believes in God.
(b) If he reads the Bible.
(c) How he is.
(d) If he loves his mother.
13. Drummond believes what to be essential to clear thought?
14. Where does Sillers work?
(a) At a feed store.
(b) School, with Cates.
(c) The grocery.
(d) The railroad.
15. When Melinda sees Drummond's shadow, she thinks it is what?
(a) The monkey.
(b) A snake.
(c) Bert Cates.
(d) The devil.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Cates unsure of?
2. What is Howard doing at the beginning of Act One?
3. Who does Rachel tell Drummond she is scared of?
4. Drummond is awarded what title by the Mayor?
5. What type of meeting is held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)