|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Brady says that Drummond defended a publishing company for what?
(b) Killing the messenger.
(c) Laundering money.
2. Prior to accepting the jury, who does the judge rule as out of order?
(a) Drummond and Brady.
3. While in jail, what is Cates surprised by?
(a) His desire to win.
(b) Rachel's devotion to him.
(c) That Drummond gives him a Bible.
(d) The "spectacle" of his trial.
4. When Rachel runs away from Cates, what does he do?
(a) Lets her go.
(b) Chases her down and kisses her.
(c) Chases her down and fights with her.
(d) Chases her down and hugs her.
5. What song does the town sing to greet Brady?
(a) "The Star Spangled Banner."
(b) "Old Time Religion."
(c) "America the Beautiful."
6. Cates believes Rachel's opinions are from whom?
(a) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
7. The Storekeeper thinks opinions are what?
(a) Bad for business.
(b) Only for men.
(c) Good on a hot day.
(d) Unnecessary and confusing.
8. What does Rachel say Cates wants to do, following jury selection?
(a) Become a preacher.
(b) Hang himself.
(c) Die from the cold.
9. Howard tells Melinda that her father originated as what?
(a) A worm.
(b) A monkey.
(c) A bird.
(d) A dog.
10. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
(a) Read his Bible.
(b) Show some respect for her town.
(c) Defend Cates to his best ability.
(d) Call off the trial.
11. Drummond is awarded what title by the Mayor?
(a) Head Colonel.
(b) Head of State.
(c) Temporary Town Captain.
(d) Temporary Honorary Colonel.
12. Who announces the meeting held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
(c) The judge.
13. Hornbeck asks Elijah if he is a what?
(b) Soldier of the Bible.
14. How does Rachel describe Brady to Cates?
(a) "Scared of his own shadow."
(b) "The biggest man in the country."
(c) "A crusader for the wicked."
(d) "Hungry for power and reluctant to forgive."
15. What type of jury does Drummond say that Brady wants?
(a) One that is just like him.
(b) Ignorant farmers.
(c) Fair and partial.
(d) One that thinks alike.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Drummond say about Cates when Rachel asks about him?
2. Where does the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
3. Cates describes the conditions in jail as what?
4. Who approaches Brady following the jury selection?
5. How is Brady's physicality described?
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)