|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cates describes the conditions in jail as what?
2. Where does the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2 take place?
(a) Drummond's home.
(b) The town square.
(c) The courtroom.
(d) Cates' jail cell.
3. The townspeople hope Brady's presence will provide what?
(c) Religious fervor.
(d) Media attention.
4. What type of jury does Brady want?
(a) One that conforms to the patterns of society.
(b) Pious older women.
(c) Fair and partial.
(d) Forward thinking intellects.
5. How does Rachel describe Brady to Cates?
(a) "Scared of his own shadow."
(b) "A crusader for the wicked."
(c) "Hungry for power and reluctant to forgive."
(d) "The biggest man in the country."
6. Where does Sillers work?
(a) School, with Cates.
(b) At a feed store.
(c) The grocery.
(d) The railroad.
7. To Rachel, Hornbeck claims to be on whose side?
(d) Reverend Brown.
8. Cates believes Rachel's opinions are from whom?
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
9. Bannister claims that Drummond represents who in the past?
(a) Two child murderers in Chicago.
(b) A poacher from North Dakota.
(c) Preachers from the South.
(d) A serial killer from the North.
10. Drummond believes what type of people never experience confusion?
11. What song does the town sing to greet Brady?
(a) "The Star Spangled Banner."
(c) "Old Time Religion."
(d) "America the Beautiful."
12. Who will Rachel appear as a witness for?
(a) She will not be a witness.
(d) Both sides.
13. Who approaches Brady following the jury selection?
(b) No one.
(c) Many townspeople.
(d) The judge.
14. In Act One, what does Rachel try to convince Cates to do?
(a) Escape from jail.
(b) Continue preaching his piece.
(c) Beg pardon from the governor.
(d) Apologize for breaking the law.
15. What is Cates unsure of?
(a) If Rachel loves him.
(b) Whether he has committed a crime.
(c) Whether Drummond is on his side.
(d) If he even likes teaching.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Rachel runs away from Cates, what does he do?
2. What is Howard doing at the beginning of Act One?
3. Who encourages the town to greet Brady's arrival?
4. Who announces the meeting held at the court on the night of the jury selection?
5. In Act One, who makes a secret visit to Hillsboro Jail?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)