|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is providing Cates with a lawyer?
(a) The Chicago Times.
(b) The school board.
(c) The New Yorker.
(d) The Baltimore Herald.
2. The first time Brady enters town, who is he with?
(a) Reverend Brown and the Judge.
(c) A newspaper reporter from Washington, D.C.
(d) Mrs. Brady, Reverend Brown, the District Attorney.
3. What does Rachel beg Drummond to do, following jury selection?
(a) Show some respect for her town.
(b) Defend Cates to his best ability.
(c) Call off the trial.
(d) Read his Bible.
4. Drummond is awarded what title by the Mayor?
(a) Temporary Town Captain.
(b) Head of State.
(c) Temporary Honorary Colonel.
(d) Head Colonel.
5. Brady complains that Drummond is bringing too much of what during jury selection?
6. Howard tells Melinda that she originated as what?
(a) A frog.
(b) An ape.
(c) A worm.
(d) A monkey.
7. How does Rachel describe Brady to Cates?
(a) "The biggest man in the country."
(b) "Hungry for power and reluctant to forgive."
(c) "A crusader for the wicked."
(d) "Scared of his own shadow."
8. What does Meeker say impresses him about Brady?
(a) His height.
(b) His passion.
(c) His volume.
(d) His doctrine.
9. Drummond believes what to be essential to clear thought?
10. What ability does Bannister lack?
11. The townspeople hope Brady's presence will provide what?
(b) Religious fervor.
(c) Media attention.
12. How does Melinda respond to Howard's opinion on origin?
(a) She thinks it is quite comical.
(b) She argues with him.
(c) She hopes it is true.
(d) She agrees with him.
13. Prior to accepting the jury, who does the judge rule as out of order?
(a) Drummond and Brady.
14. While in jail, what is Cates surprised by?
(a) His desire to win.
(b) Rachel's devotion to him.
(c) That Drummond gives him a Bible.
(d) The "spectacle" of his trial.
15. According to Drummond, those who hold up the progression of society are what?
(a) Religious parties.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Hornbeck give the monkey in Act One?
2. If Cates apologizes, Drummond feels that Cates will be what?
3. What does Drummond ask Rachel about her mother?
4. Bert Cates is in jail for what crime?
5. What song does the town sing to greet Brady?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)