Act 1, Scene 1
• Howard scares Melinda with talk of evolution.
• Rachel visits Cates, who is in jail for teaching evolution.
• Rachel urges Cates to apologize to avoid the trial, but he refuses.
• The townspeople prepare for Brady, the prosecuting attorney, to arrive.
• Hornbeck, a reporter, gets and gives opinions on evolution from the townspeople.
• Brady arrives in town with much fanfare.
• Hornbeck reveals the Baltimore Herald is funding famed defense lawyer Drummond.
• Hornbeck tells Rachel that he is writing Cates as a hero.
• Drummond arrives in town with no fanfare.
Act 1, Scene 2
• Drummond and Brady interview prospective jury members.
• Bannister is revealed as a church attendee and is accepted to the jury by Brady.
• Drummond rejects a prospective juror who claims to believe in God and Brady.
• Drummond protests Brady's "colonel" title; the mayor awards Drummond the same.
• The remaining jury is selected.
• The judge announces a prayer meeting...
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)