|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lenz compare recovery groups to?
2. What is the name of Hal's tennis instructor?
3. Who or what does Don have trouble truly understanding?
4. What is the nickname assigned to those who have been sober for decades?
5. What kind of person kidnaps an engineer from a radio station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the memories James had about his father.
2. How could the use of the Entertainment be devastating?
3. What does Hal think of Avril and Charles possibly being related?
4. What are the contents of the Entertainment?
5. What parallels does Wallace draw between the Entertainment and drugs?
6. What does Lyle mean when he tells the students never to underestimate objects?
7. What role does the theme of suicide play in the novel?
8. What does Eric Clipperton's death show the students at Enfield?
9. Who is Randy Lenz?
10. What kind of impression do you get from Avril's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kind of tone does Wallace use toward drug abuse? What are some examples of ways in which diction and other literary devices contribute to the theme of drug abuse and Wallace's attitude toward it?
Essay Topic 2
How is Joelle introduced to the reader? Why is the setting in which she is introduced significant? What conclusions can the reader draw immediately after Wallace introduces Joelle?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Hal have a breakdown at the end of the novel? What brought the breakdown on? How does the breakdown lead to the scene that is actually first in the novel?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)