|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the boy who killed himself after reaching a ranking he aspired to for so long?
2. Who overhears James grading his marriage?
3. Many students at Enfield feel that which character once suffered from depression?
4. In Chapter 67, what does Joelle begin to worry obsessively about?
5. Which step in AA is Don having trouble getting to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of impression do you get from Avril's character?
2. How is Mario affected by his films not being as popular as his father's?
3. What is an example of James being a genius but inability to deal with real life matters?
4. In what way has Hal lost Mario?
5. What role does the theme of suicide play in the novel?
6. What are the contents of the Entertainment?
7. What problems does Don Gately have with sobriety?
8. Who is Randy Lenz?
9. Why is Don so interested in Joelle?
10. Why does Hal begin to watch his father's films?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Was James' genius a blessing or a curse?
Essay Topic 2
What kind of relationship do Hal and Mario have? Why does it make sense that Mario looks to Hal for guidance and reassurance even though Hal is younger? What types of events cause strain in their relationship?
Essay Topic 3
What intentions did James have when he created the Entertainment? Has it served its desired purpose? Why or why not?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)