|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Molly, on what day did Madame Psychosis' mother kill herself?
2. Who has a panic attack in which he feels the world seems almost edible?
3. Who overhears James grading his marriage?
4. Where did the study take place that Hugh describes from the 1970s?
5. What caused Don to give up on high school and football?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Hal's dreams about losing his teeth represent?
2. What is Remy's view of American culture?
3. What does Lyle mean when he tells the students never to underestimate objects?
4. Why does Mario ask Avril how to tell if somebody is sad?
5. How does Orin treat women?
6. What does Hal think of Avril and Charles possibly being related?
7. What problems does Don Gately have with sobriety?
8. What is an example of James being a genius but inability to deal with real life matters?
9. What are the contents of the Entertainment?
10. What kind of impression do you get from Avril's character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Hal have a breakdown at the end of the novel? What brought the breakdown on? How does the breakdown lead to the scene that is actually first in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
How does Wallace create a dramatic opening sequence in the beginning of Infinite Jest? What is the purpose of opening so dramatically?
Essay Topic 3
Was James' genius a blessing or a curse?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)