|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is identified as Madame Psychosis?
2. Which step in AA is Don having trouble getting to?
3. Where did the study take place that Hugh describes from the 1970s?
4. Who does Kate have trouble dealing with?
5. What does Mario use as the main characters in his film?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the contents of the Entertainment?
2. Why does Hal begin to watch his father's films?
3. Describe the memories James had about his father.
4. What do Hal's dreams about losing his teeth represent?
5. In what way has Hal lost Mario?
6. Why did Avril have an affair during her marriage to James?
7. How is Mario affected by his films not being as popular as his father's?
8. What parallels does Wallace draw between the Entertainment and drugs?
9. What kind of impression do you get from Avril's character?
10. What does Hal think of Avril and Charles possibly being related?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the title Infinite Jest suggest about the novel? Why do you think Wallace chose this title?
Essay Topic 2
Was James' genius a blessing or a curse?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Hal have a breakdown at the end of the novel? What brought the breakdown on? How does the breakdown lead to the scene that is actually first in the novel?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)