|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the book "Atheist Manifesto: The Case Against Christianity, Judaism, and Islam"?
2. Where did Haweya insist on going in order to be with their mom and around Muslims in Chapter 13, "Leiden"?
3. Where did Ayaan study at college in Holland?
4. Ayaan was sent to a small town in what U.S. state when she went into hiding following the assassination of Theo van Gogh?
5. Theo van Gogh was related to what famous painter?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author write regarding her decision to leave Holland in the Epilogue?
2. What does the author say regarding life in the West in the book's Epilogue?
3. How does the author describe her relationship with her sister in Chapter 13, "Leiden"?
4. How does the author describe her participation in public debates in Chapter 15, "Threats"?
5. How does the author describe a meeting with her father in Chapter 14, "Leaving God"?
6. Describe the situation in which Ayaan went into hiding in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo." For how long was she allowed minimal contact with friends and family?
7. When was Theo van Gogh killed in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo"? What effect did his murder have on Ayaan's safety?
8. How does the author describe her return to Parliament in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo"?
9. How does the author describe her continuing education in Chapter 13, "Leiden"?
10. How does the author describe the investigation into her citizenship in the Epilogue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the narrative style of the autobiography and the main settings described in the Introduction. Where did the author spend the majority of her childhood? In what person and tense is the story related?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Mecca and Ethiopia. How does the author describe the political atmosphere of these settings during the late 1970s? Also discuss Ayaan's relationship with the Islamic faith during her childhood. What questions and doubts did Ayaan face?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the settings of Jeddah and Saudi Arabia in 1978. Where was Ayaan's father working during this time? How did Ayaan's mother feel about living in Saudi Arabia? How does the author describe the differences in Saudi Arabia from those of Kenya or Somalia?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)