|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What refers to an official level of education required in order to enter university in Holland?
2. On what date was Theo van Gogh shot?
3. Where did Ayaan decide to take a position in the U.S. in the Epilogue?
4. When Ayaan filled out her official paperwork for refugee status, she changed her name from Ayaan Hirsi Megan to what?
5. Who was a Dutch Protestant Christian that befriended Ayaan during her time in the Netherlands?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Theo van Gogh killed in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo"? What effect did his murder have on Ayaan's safety?
2. Describe the situation in which Ayaan went into hiding in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo." For how long was she allowed minimal contact with friends and family?
3. What were Ayaan's first days as an official refugee like in Chapter 11, "A Trial by the Elders"?
4. What interactions did Ayaan have with her father and husband in Chapter 11, "A Trial by the Elders"?
5. How does the author describe a meeting with her father in Chapter 14, "Leaving God"?
6. How does the author describe her participation in public debates in Chapter 15, "Threats"?
7. How does the author describe her return to Parliament in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo"?
8. Where did Ayaan travel in the beginning of Chapter 10, "Running Away"? Who did she meet there?
9. What political group did Ayaan begin working for after completing her degree in Chapter 14, "Leaving God"?
10. What impression does the reader gain of Ayaan's retreat into hiding in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define, identify and analyze the theme of abuse in the narrative. How did the author describe being hospitalized? How did the abuse sustained by the author help to form her opinion of oppression in Islam? Who was responsible for the majority of the abuse the author sustained?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Ayaan's journey to Germany and her plans to move to Canada. How difficult was obtaining a Canadian visa? How did Ayaan hope to attain a divorce at this time? How did Ayaan's mother and sister feel about her plans?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the narrative style of the autobiography and the main settings described in the Introduction. Where did the author spend the majority of her childhood? In what person and tense is the story related?
This section contains 992 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)