|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Theo van Gogh going when he was shot?
2. Ayaan was able to apply for citizenship in Holland how many years after attaining refugee status in Chapter 10, "Running Away"?
3. What does DKDB stand for in the narrative?
4. What editor of the feminist magazine "Opzij" did Ayaan contact to discuss how to raise funds from the government for protection after she began getting threats?
5. When does Ayaan describe having looked in the mirror and saying out loud that she did not believe in God in Chapter 14, "Leaving God"?
Short Essay Questions
1. When was Theo van Gogh killed in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo"? What effect did his murder have on Ayaan's safety?
2. How does the author describe the investigation into her citizenship in the Epilogue?
3. Where did Ayaan travel when death threats became an issue in Chapter 15, "Threats"? How did she encounter politics on this trip?
4. What impression does the reader gain of Ayaan's retreat into hiding in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo"?
5. What political group did Ayaan begin working for after completing her degree in Chapter 14, "Leaving God"?
6. How does the author describe her return to Parliament in Chapter 17, "The Murder of Theo"?
7. What did Osman Moussa do when he arrived in Holland in Chapter 11, "A Trial by the Elders"?
8. Where did Ayaan decide to seek political asylum in Chapter 10, "Running Away"? Why?
9. How does the author describe her participation in public debates in Chapter 15, "Threats"?
10. How does the author describe her continuing education in Chapter 13, "Leiden"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss male and female circumcision in Somalia and the settings of Mogadishu and Matabaan. What is the purpose for circumcision in Somalia and other Islamic nations? Also discuss Ayaan's father's work in Chapter 2, "Under the Talal Tree." Where was Ayaan's father during this period?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Mecca and Ethiopia. How does the author describe the political atmosphere of these settings during the late 1970s? Also discuss Ayaan's relationship with the Islamic faith during her childhood. What questions and doubts did Ayaan face?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the political history of Somalia and the Somali Civil War. How did the war impact Ayaan's family? When did the war begin and what is the status of the uprising today? How did the war influence Ayaan's thoughts and her denouncement of Islam?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)