|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. An adherent of Islam is called what?
2. Who in Ayaan's family rebels against all of the Islamic rules in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
3. Ayaan experiences her first kiss in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance," but knows it is doomed, as he is from where?
4. In Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance," Mahad goes back where and the three women move into a house with a distant relative?
5. What is a literary device in which an author indistinctly suggests certain plot developments that might come later in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ayaan's father go after escaping prison in Chapter 2, "Under the Talal Tree"? What did he do there?
2. Who did Ayaan's father plan for Ayaan to marry in Chapter 9, "Abeh"? How did she feel about the arrangement?
3. How is Ayaan's father described in Chapter 1, "Bloodlines"? When did he marry Ayaan's mother?
4. How does the author describe her grandmother in Chapter 1, "Bloodlines"?
5. How was the author's relationship to her mother described in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
6. How is the physical abuse the author withstood described in Chapter 5, "Secret Rendezvous, Sex, and the Scent of Sukumawiki"?
7. How is Ayaan's father described in Chapter 3, "Playing Tag in Allah's Palace"?
8. Where did Ayaan's family move in Chapter 3, "Playing Tag in Allah's Palace"? How was their arrival described?
9. How is the marriage of Ayaan's grandmother described in Chapter 1, "Bloodlines"?
10. Where did Ayaan and her sister go once the fighting began to spread in Chapter 8, "Refugees"? What is foreseen regarding Ayaan's marriage in the chapter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the family history of Ayaan Hirsi Ali. What was the importance of bloodlines and tribal alliances in Somalia as Ayaan was growing up? Why did her grandmother place importance on lineage? With whose side of her family was the author closest?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss Theo van Gogh, Mohammed Bouyeri, and the film "Submission". What was revealed in the note left by the assassin? When was van Gogh killed and what reason was given for his death? What was van Gogh's relationship with Ayaan Hirsi Ali?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and analyze the author's year in Ethiopia in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives." What led the family to move to Kenya? Also describe Ayaan's first encounters with Christianity at the school in Ethiopia. What were the living circumstances like for the author?
This section contains 973 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)