|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years did Ayaan live in Kenya growing up?
2. What cousin had officiated as Ayaan's guardian at her secret wedding to her cousin?
3. It was January of what year when Ayaan's father told her she was to marry a distant relative in Chapter 9, "Abeh"?
4. What is the term referring to the pilgrimage to Mecca that is obligatory upon all able Muslims?
5. What was the name of Ayaan's half-sister through her father who was very religious and wore the veil?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was the living situation described when the war broke out in Chapter 8, "Refugees"?
2. What conflict arose between Ayaan and her mother in Chapter 9, "Abeh"? What became of the situation?
3. How does the author describe her grandmother in Chapter 1, "Bloodlines"?
4. Where did Ayaan's father go after escaping prison in Chapter 2, "Under the Talal Tree"? What did he do there?
5. How does the author describe her father's return in Chapter 9, "Abeh"?
6. Where did Ayaan and her sister go once the fighting began to spread in Chapter 8, "Refugees"? What is foreseen regarding Ayaan's marriage in the chapter?
7. Where did Ayaan's family move in Chapter 3, "Playing Tag in Allah's Palace"? How was their arrival described?
8. Why did Ayaan end her relationship with a fellow Muslim in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"?
9. How does the author describe herself in the Introduction?
10. How does the author describe her first kiss and her relationship with Islam in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss clan history and structure in Somalia and the figure of Farah Goure in the narrative. Why did Ayaan go to the clan leader? What was his decision? Why did the author decide to return to Somalia and how had it changed since her childhood?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the political history of Somalia and the Somali Civil War. How did the war impact Ayaan's family? When did the war begin and what is the status of the uprising today? How did the war influence Ayaan's thoughts and her denouncement of Islam?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the setting of Kenya and the Muslim Brotherhood. When was the Muslim Brotherhood first active? How did the Muslim Brotherhood influence the author? How does she describe her relationship to Islam during the period in which she lived in Kenya?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)