|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the last film Theo van Gogh completed before his death?
2. What British Indian novelist and essayist wrote the book "The Satanic Verses"?
3. Who ripped up the marriage certificate to Ayaan's secret marriage to her cousin in Chapter 9, "Abeh"?
4. What is the capital of Saudi Arabia?
5. What term is used in the text to refer to a dutiful wife to her husband?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the author describe her first kiss and her relationship with Islam in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
2. What is foreshadowed in the author's discussion of government in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"?
3. What led to Ayaan's entering school in Chapter 2, "Under the Talal Tree"? What did Ayaan learn early on there?
4. Who was Theodore van Gogh? How is he described in the book's Introduction?
5. How is the author's relationship to Islam described in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"? How was Haweya's?
6. Where was Ayaan's family living in Chapter 5, "Secret Rendezvous, Sex, and the Scent of Sukumawiki"? How is this period described?
7. How is Ayaan's father described in Chapter 1, "Bloodlines"? When did he marry Ayaan's mother?
8. Who did Ayaan secretly marry in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"? How is this affair described?
9. Who is the protagonist of "Infidel"? How is the narrative style established in the Introduction?
10. What conflict arose between Ayaan and her mother in Chapter 9, "Abeh"? What became of the situation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Ayaan's marriage to Osman Moussa. What rights did Ayaan have in deciding who to marry? How were the wedding ceremonies described? How did these customs differ from those of countries in the West? How did Ayaan feel about her marriage to Osman Moussa?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings of Jeddah and Saudi Arabia in 1978. Where was Ayaan's father working during this time? How did Ayaan's mother feel about living in Saudi Arabia? How does the author describe the differences in Saudi Arabia from those of Kenya or Somalia?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Theo van Gogh, Mohammed Bouyeri, and the film "Submission". What was revealed in the note left by the assassin? When was van Gogh killed and what reason was given for his death? What was van Gogh's relationship with Ayaan Hirsi Ali?
This section contains 938 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)