|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was part of the Osman Mahamud clan and hosted Ayaan when she first arrived in Germany?
2. What is the name of Ayaan's brother in the narrative?
3. In Chapter 8, "Refugees," Ayaan accompanies her cousin to the border to bring back his family and returns from a 3 week journey with over how many people?
4. What political party did Ayaan Hirsi Ali represent in the Dutch House of Representatives?
5. It was January of what year when Ayaan's father told her she was to marry a distant relative in Chapter 9, "Abeh"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the author learn from looking back at her childhood in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"?
2. How was Ayaan's marriage described in Chapter 9, "Abeh"? Where did she go following the wedding?
3. To whom does the author dedicate the book in the Introduction?
4. Where did Ayaan live in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"? How is this setting described?
5. What led to Ayaan's return to Mogadishu in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"? Who granted her permission to go?
6. How was the living situation described when the war broke out in Chapter 8, "Refugees"?
7. Where is Mogadishu? How is it described in the Introduction?
8. What is foreshadowed in the author's discussion of government in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"?
9. How did Ayaan's character develop in Chapter 8, "Refugees"? What is foreseen about the protagonist in this chapter?
10. Where was Ayaan's family living in Chapter 5, "Secret Rendezvous, Sex, and the Scent of Sukumawiki"? How is this period described?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss male and female circumcision in Somalia and the settings of Mogadishu and Matabaan. What is the purpose for circumcision in Somalia and other Islamic nations? Also discuss Ayaan's father's work in Chapter 2, "Under the Talal Tree." Where was Ayaan's father during this period?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the role of tolkas in Somali society and the divorce of Ayaan Hirsi Ali. How are tolkas arranged and who is present? How did Ayaan's husband respond to her request for divorce? What was the reaction of Ayaan's family?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Theo van Gogh, Mohammed Bouyeri, and the film "Submission". What was revealed in the note left by the assassin? When was van Gogh killed and what reason was given for his death? What was van Gogh's relationship with Ayaan Hirsi Ali?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)