|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ayaan write back regarding her cousin to a young woman in Chapter 8, "Refugees"?
(a) They are enemies.
(b) They are married.
(c) They are divorced.
(d) They are only cousins.
2. What term is used in the text to refer to a dutiful wife to her husband?
3. Haweya returns and she and Ayaan attend what together in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
(a) Welding school.
(b) Columbia University.
(c) Secretarial school.
(d) Culinary school.
4. How many years did Ayaan live in Kenya growing up?
5. At the end of Chapter Two, "Under the Talal Tree," Ayaan's father escapes from prison and makes it where?
Short Answer Questions
1. What word refers to both the head covering traditionally worn by Muslim women and modest Muslim styles of dress in general?
2. Who in Ayaan's family rebels against all of the Islamic rules in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
3. A woman from where sends Ayaan a letter regarding her cousin in Chapter 8, "Refugees"?
4. Ayaan shared the secret of her marriage to a cousin with only whom in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"?
5. Chapter 5, "Secret Rendezvous, Sex, and the Scent of Sukumawiki" details Ayaan's years growing up where?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ayaan's father described in Chapter 1, "Bloodlines"? When did he marry Ayaan's mother?
2. Who did Ayaan secretly marry in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"? How is this affair described?
3. Where did Ayaan's father go after escaping prison in Chapter 2, "Under the Talal Tree"? What did he do there?
4. Whose death is described in the Introduction to "Infidel"? What film did this individual make with the author?
5. How does the author describe her grandmother in Chapter 1, "Bloodlines"?
6. What is foreshadowed in the author's discussion of government in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"?
7. What did the author learn from looking back at her childhood in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"?
8. How does the author describe her first kiss and her relationship with Islam in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
9. How was the author's relationship to her mother described in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
10. Who did Ayaan's father marry in Chapter 9, "Abeh"? Why?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)