|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the capital of Saudi Arabia?
2. What was the name of Ayaan's half-sister through her father who was modern and wanted to live like the West?
3. Ayaan secretly marries her cousin as he is about to depart for where in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"?
4. What caused Ayaan's mother to become even more hostile toward others in Chapter Four, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"?
(a) She had an abortion.
(b) She had an affair.
(c) She got divorced.
(d) She lost a child in stillbirth.
5. It was January of what year when Ayaan's father told her she was to marry a distant relative in Chapter 9, "Abeh"?
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter Two, "Under the Talal Tree," the story focuses on Ayaan's early childhood memories growing up where with her mother, grandmother, brother, and sister?
2. Theo Van Gogh was a member of what Dutch republican society which advocates the abolition of the Dutch monarchy?
3. What refers to a Somali gathering of elders to discuss and decide on an important matter?
4. Where did Ayaan and her sister flee when Somalia fell further into civil war and fighting spread to Mogadishu in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"?
5. What was the last film Theo van Gogh completed before his death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ayaan end her relationship with a fellow Muslim in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"?
2. Who wrote a letter to Ayaan in Chapter 8, "Refugees"? What did Ayaan respond?
3. Where did Ayaan live in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"? How is this setting described?
4. How is the physical abuse the author withstood described in Chapter 5, "Secret Rendezvous, Sex, and the Scent of Sukumawiki"?
5. How is the author's relationship to Islam described in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"? How was Haweya's?
6. How is the marriage of Ayaan's grandmother described in Chapter 1, "Bloodlines"?
7. What led to Ayaan's entering school in Chapter 2, "Under the Talal Tree"? What did Ayaan learn early on there?
8. How was the living situation described when the war broke out in Chapter 8, "Refugees"?
9. What conflict arose between Ayaan and her mother in Chapter 9, "Abeh"? What became of the situation?
10. What did the author learn from looking back at her childhood in Chapter 4, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives"?
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)