|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ayaan finishes school and becomes increasingly stricter in her religious activities as what movement becomes active in Kenya in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
(a) The Blue Shield.
(b) The Red Cross.
(d) The Muslim Brotherhood.
2. What was the last film Theo van Gogh completed before his death?
3. Who in Ayaan's family rebels against all of the Islamic rules in Chapter 6, "Doubt and Defiance"?
(a) Asha Artan.
(b) Mahad Magen.
(c) Hirsi Magen Isse.
(d) Haweya Magen.
4. Chapter 9, "Abeh" begins in April of what year?
5. In Chapter 3, "Playing Tag in Allah's Palace," Ayaan compares her parents, considering her father more gentle and believing in the spirit of the laws while her mother was stricter and teaching what?
(a) The number of the law.
(c) Penal code chapters.
(d) The letter of the law.
6. What British Indian novelist and essayist wrote the book "The Satanic Verses"?
(a) Salman Rushdie.
(b) Neelie Kroes.
(c) Rita Verdonk.
(d) Mohammed Bouyeri.
7. In Chapter Four, "Weeping Orphans and Widowed Wives," Ayaan attends school with whom?
8. When was Ayaan Hirsi Ali named by Time magazine as one of the 100 most influential people in the world?
9. Where did Ayaan and her sister flee when Somalia fell further into civil war and fighting spread to Mogadishu in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
10. Siad Barre was the military dictator and President of the Somali Democratic Republic from 1969 until what year?
11. Hirsi Ali's father had studied abroad and was opposed to what traditional practice in Somalia?
(a) Male circumcision.
(c) Dog fighting.
(d) Female genital cutting.
12. What is the name of the cousin Ayaan met and secretly married in Chapter 7, "Disillusion and Deceit"?
13. When she was eight, Hirsi Ali's family left Somalia for what country?
(b) Saudi Arabia.
14. It was January of what year when Ayaan's father told her she was to marry a distant relative in Chapter 9, "Abeh"?
15. Hirsi Magan Isse was a part of Somalia's political elite and a leader in what earliest and most influential factions in the Somali Civil War?
(a) The Somali Freedom Movement.
(b) The Justice Party of Somalia.
(c) The Somali Salvation Democratic Front.
(d) The Democratic Allegiance of Somalia.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Ayaan Hirsi Ali born?
2. How many years did Ayaan live in Kenya growing up?
3. In what year was Ayaan Hirsi Ali elected a member of the House of Representatives?
4. When did Theo van Gogh die?
5. Who was not pleased with the return of Ayaan's father and refused to speak to him in Chapter 9, "Abeh"?
This section contains 418 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)