|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Rajah insist Flora accept if she insists on seeing all of his paintings?
2. What did Churchill say the loss of India would reduce England to?
3. What does the Rajah talk about that makes Flora angry?
4. What does Flora say Das has to be prepared to face if he wants to be an artist?
5. What kind of alcoholic drink do Mrs. Swan and Anish talk about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare India to the country it was under British rule to the independent country it is today. How has Indian independence affected the county in the following areas:
Essay Topic 2
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. The Indian nationalists declare war against the British.
2. The Rajah is assassinated.
3. Das fathers Flora's child.
This section contains 229 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)