|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Swan say her husband was posted?
2. What does Das say he had yesterday, but does not have today?
3. What decade is Mrs. Swan's part of the play set in?
4. What is the name of the book Pike is putting together about Flora?
5. What decade is Flora's part of the play set in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What news does Flora learn about the Theosophical Society in Act 2, Part 4?
2. What does Durance tell Flora about the riot earlier in the day?
3. Describe the argument between Das and Flora in Act 1, Part 6.
4. What does Durance say about the political situation in India?
5. How do Das and Flora indicate the beginnings of a sexual intimacy?
6. What is the book UP THE COUNTRY about?
7. Why does Flora say shut up?
8. What does Flora tell Nell in the letter she narrates in Act 1, Scene 1?
9. What do Flora and Das say about Chamberlain?
10. How does Das help Flora when she collapses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does view the twentieth century? What impact has his own ideas on popular culture? Has his impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
Look at the cultural gap between the characters. What different experiences did each of the main character go through? What problems does the cultural gap cause the characters?
Essay Topic 3
Compare British and Indian culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)