|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the beautiful married woman Das refers to?
2. What does Flora say her sister probably hears more than she does?
3. What is the young Indian man's name?
4. What kind of tea service does Mrs. Swan have in England?
5. Where does Mrs. Swan keep the rolled canvas?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Anish's father leave him after his death?
2. What is happening in both eras at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
3. Why does Mrs. Swan dislike biographies?
4. What does Flora say about E.M Forster in this act?
5. Why does Flora say Mrs. Swan probably has more news about India than herself?
6. Why is Durance suspicious of Flora and Das' relationship?
7. What does Durance tell Flora about the riot earlier in the day?
8. Describe Flora's first meeting with Mr. Commaraswami.
9. What news does Flora learn about the Theosophical Society in Act 2, Part 4?
10. What is rasa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. The Indian nationalists declare war against the British.
2. The Rajah is assassinated.
3. Das fathers Flora's child.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)