|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Das say was his ex-wife's build?
2. What does Mrs. Swan say was the only thing people cared about Flora when she was alive?
3. What is Flora describing in the letter Pike and Mrs. Swan are reading?
4. What kind of game do Flora and Das play at the table?
5. What is Durance's rank?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Pike come to visit Mrs. Swan?
2. What does Anish say about Indian paintings?
3. What does Flora say about the watercolor Das gives her?
4. What did Churchill say would happen if Britain lost India?
5. What scandal was Flora involved in in England?
6. Why does Anish say the authorities put his father into prison?
7. Why does Flora say shut up?
8. What does Flora say Das has to do to become a true artist?
9. Why does Mrs. Swan think the symbolism in Das' painting is rubbish?
10. How does the audience know Pike has arrived in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Aside from the main character, examine the way the author uses the other characters in the book. When does he introduce and take them away from the story? What effect does it have on the story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mrs. Swan's claim that Biographies distort rather than tell the truth.
1) What are the arguments for and against her claim?
2) Which argument do you agree with and why??
Essay Topic 3
Look at the cultural gap between the characters. What different experiences did each of the main character go through? What problems does the cultural gap cause the characters?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)