|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Swan say the oil painting she has upstairs looks like?
2. What did Anish's father demonstrate against?
3. How does Anish know his father did not finish the painting?
4. Who recommended India to Flora?
5. Who is waiting in Mrs. Swan's garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flora tell Nell in the letter she narrates in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Why has Pike come to visit Mrs. Swan?
3. What does Flora say she will never forgive herself for?
4. What is rasa?
5. What do Das and Flora say about religion?
6. Why is Flora worried about Nazrul?
7. Describe Flora's first meeting with Mr. Commaraswami.
8. What does Durance say about the political situation in India?
9. What do Flora and Das say about Chamberlain?
10. How does the audience know Pike has arrived in India?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does view the twentieth century? What impact has his own ideas on popular culture? Has his impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Compare India to the country it was under British rule to the independent country it is today. How has Indian independence affected the county in the following areas:
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)