|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is waiting in Mrs. Swan's garden?
2. Where does Pike say Flora wants to head after Das finishes her portrait?
3. What does Das cover his painting with?
4. What does Mrs Swan serve Anish on her tray?
5. Where do Durance and Flora make plans to go to the following Saturday?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Flora's first meeting with Mr. Commaraswami.
2. What happened to the first portrait of Flora?
3. Describe the argument between Das and Flora in Act 1, Part 6.
4. Why has Pike come to visit Mrs. Swan?
5. What scandal was Flora involved in in England?
6. What role does Mrs. Swan say her husband played in India?
7. What does Anish tell Mrs. Swan about his father's background?
8. How does Flora react to Das' over enthusiasm?
9. What does Flora mean by the enemy?
10. What did Anish's father leave him after his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Mrs. Swan's claim that Biographies distort rather than tell the truth.
1) What are the arguments for and against her claim?
2) Which argument do you agree with and why??
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. The Indian nationalists declare war against the British.
2. The Rajah is assassinated.
3. Das fathers Flora's child.
Essay Topic 3
What are the main turning points of the novel? How does Stoppard develop his story to get to each turning point? What happens to the story after a major turning point?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)