|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Mrs. Swan and Anish talking about?
2. What country does Pike go to in Act 1, Part 5?
3. Where did Das draw his pencil sketch of Flora?
4. What did rebellious Indians see as a badge of honor in 1930s India?
5. What kind of painting does Anish have with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Das think people learned of Flora's illness?
2. What do Flora and Captain Durance talk about?
3. What does Durance say about the political situation in India?
4. Why does Mrs. Swan cry about Flora?
5. What is rasa?
6. Why does Anish say the authorities put his father into prison?
7. Why does Anish decide not to tell Pike about his father's watercolor?
8. Why does Stoppard mention so many famous names?
9. How does Das help Flora when she collapses?
10. What did Anish's father leave him after his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine the novel's chronological setting.
1. What were the main concerns during the 1930s? How does the author express these concerns?
2. How would the author change the novel if it was set in today's society?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the novel's dialogue. How does the author's dialogue contribute to the following areas:
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)