|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Hindus eat pork?
2. Where does Pike say Flora wants to head after Das finishes her portrait?
3. Who is Anish sketching in this scene?
4. What does Nazrul enter the room with?
5. What is the name of Flora's servant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Flora say she will never forgive herself for?
2. Why does Stoppard mention so many famous names?
3. What scandal was Flora involved in in England?
4. What is rasa?
5. What does Mrs. Swan tell Anish about Indian history?
6. What does Durance say about the political situation in India?
7. Why are Das and Flora struggling to work?
8. Why does Anish say the authorities put his father into prison?
9. What is the book UP THE COUNTRY about?
10. What is happening in both eras at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does view the twentieth century? What impact has his own ideas on popular culture? Has his impact been mainly positive, or mainly negative?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. The Indian nationalists declare war against the British.
2. The Rajah is assassinated.
3. Das fathers Flora's child.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)