|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Flora stop posing for Das in Act 1, Part 4?
2. What does Mrs. Swan say was the only thing people cared about Flora when she was alive?
3. What are Mrs. Swan and Anish talking about?
4. What kind of imagery does Flora's poem contain?
5. What E.M. Forster novel does Flora reference?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does the Rajah have for Pike about Flora?
2. Describe Mrs. Swan's first meeting with her husband?
3. What does Flora fear during her lecture?
4. What scandal was Flora involved in in England?
5. How does Das think people learned of Flora's illness?
6. What information does Dilip give Pike?
7. What do Das and Flora say about religion?
8. What does Das tell Flora about Indian art?
9. Why does Anish say the authorities put his father into prison?
10. What does Flora tell Nell in the letter she narrates in Act 1, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following and discuss how it affects the tone of the novel and helps to express character and theme.
2. Point of view
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mrs. Swan's claim that Biographies distort rather than tell the truth.
1) What are the arguments for and against her claim?
2) Which argument do you agree with and why??
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)