|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Flora use to address Mrs. Swan?
2. What does Flora tell Das her new painting is about?
3. What famous writer does Flora say she does not want to be asked about?
4. What do Flora and Das drink at the table?
5. What mythical figure does Flora wonder if her portrait will resemble?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Durance tell Flora about the riot earlier in the day?
2. Why does Das have to stop painting Flora in Act 1, Part 2?
3. Why does Flora say shut up?
4. What does Durance say about the political situation in India?
5. How does Pike know he is in the exact same spot as Flora's old cottage?
6. What does Das tell Flora about Indian art?
7. What did Churchill say would happen if Britain lost India?
8. Why does Stoppard mention so many famous names?
9. Why does Mrs. Swan think the symbolism in Das' painting is rubbish?
10. What role does Mrs. Swan say her husband played in India?
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of Stoppard's previous plays and contrast it with INDIAN INK in terms of the following:
Essay Topic 2
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 3
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
This section contains 1,301 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)