|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Flora tell Das she is having difficulty with?
2. What does Flora call the question she is about to ask Das?
3. What is Das carrying with him when he arrives at Flora's house?
4. Where did Flora see sculptures of Gods?
5. What does Anish ask to see?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Flora worried about Nazrul?
2. What do Flora and Captain Durance talk about?
3. How does Das think people learned of Flora's illness?
4. How does Pike know he is in the exact same spot as Flora's old cottage?
5. Why does Flora say Mrs. Swan probably has more news about India than herself?
6. How did Durance hear about Flora's illness?
7. What do Flora and Das say about Chamberlain?
8. Why does Stoppard mention so many famous names?
9. What did Churchill say would happen if Britain lost India?
10. What happened to the first portrait of Flora?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 2
Identify the main themes of the story. In what way are these themes relevant to the period? How does the author use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)