|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of imagery does Flora's poem contain?
2. What kind of tea service does Mrs. Swan have in England?
3. What kind of meat does the pate contain?
4. Who painted Flora's portrait?
5. What does Mrs. Swan think Pike is writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Pike come to visit Mrs. Swan?
2. What does Anish say about Indian paintings?
3. What role does Mrs. Swan say her husband played in India?
4. What is happening in both eras at the beginning of Act 2, Part 5?
5. What does Durance tell Flora about the riot earlier in the day?
6. How does Flora react to Das' over enthusiasm?
7. What does Flora say she will never forgive herself for?
8. Why does Anish decide not to tell Pike about his father's watercolor?
9. What did Churchill say would happen if Britain lost India?
10. Why are Das and Flora struggling to work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. The Indian nationalists declare war against the British.
2. The Rajah is assassinated.
3. Das fathers Flora's child.
Essay Topic 2
Replace the play's setting with one of the following settings:
What new meaning would the new setting give the book? How important is setting for developing meaning in a story?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Mrs. Swan's claim that Biographies distort rather than tell the truth.
1) What are the arguments for and against her claim?
2) Which argument do you agree with and why??
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)