|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Flora tell to shut up?
2. What country is Flora traveling around in the opening scene?
3. What kind of meat does the pate contain?
4. What city does Das say Flora painted him a picture of with words?
5. What does Flora ask Nazrul to bring her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Mrs. Swan think the symbolism in Das' painting is rubbish?
2. What does Dilip tell Pike about Indian beggars?
3. What does Flora fear during her lecture?
4. How does the audience know Pike has arrived in India?
5. What reason does Flora give Durance for coming to India?
6. How does Das think people learned of Flora's illness?
7. Why does Flora say Mrs. Swan probably has more news about India than herself?
8. What scandal was Flora involved in in England?
9. What does Flora mean by the enemy?
10. What are Flora and Durance doing in the historic part of the stage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's life. In what way are his life and personality reflected in the play?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. The Indian nationalists declare war against the British.
2. The Rajah is assassinated.
3. Das fathers Flora's child.
Essay Topic 3
Pick two characters from the novel and discuss their goals and motives. Do they achieve their motive? Do they share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do their goals clash with other characters? How do the characters' goals and motives affect their interaction with each other?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)