|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nazrul enter the room with?
2. What kind of tea service does Mrs. Swan have in England?
3. What does Mrs. Swan say the oil painting she has upstairs looks like?
4. What does Mrs. Swan say was the only thing people cared about Flora when she was alive?
5. How does Anish react when he sees the portrait?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anish say the authorities put his father into prison?
2. What do Flora and Das say about Chamberlain?
3. Why is Flora worried about Nazrul?
4. How do Das and Flora indicate the beginnings of a sexual intimacy?
5. Describe Mrs. Swan's first meeting with her husband?
6. What does Anish say about Indian paintings?
7. Why does Anish decide not to tell Pike about his father's watercolor?
8. What does Das tell Flora about Indian art?
9. How does Das help Flora when she collapses?
10. What scandal was Flora involved in in England?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the characters in the novel and discuss how he or she would cope in one of the following scenarios:
1. The Indian nationalists declare war against the British.
2. The Rajah is assassinated.
3. Das fathers Flora's child.
Essay Topic 2
Compare British and Indian culture.
1. What are the differences between the two cultures?
2. In what way have the two cultures influenced each other?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss elements of the narrative structure: exposition, conflict, complication, climax, resolution and conclusion. Do all the elements make for a logical and linear story? How does the story's structure express the novel's themes?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)