|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Mrs. Swan dislike about Pike's letters?
(a) The highlights.
(b) The editing.
(c) The footnotes.
(d) The format.
2. What does Flora call the question she is about to ask Das?
3. Where do Durance and Flora make plans to go to the following Saturday?
(a) An American cinema.
(b) An Indian restaurant.
(c) A literature cafe.
(d) An English club.
4. Where did Das draw his pencil sketch of Flora?
(a) Her lecture.
(b) In the church.
(c) On the beach.
(d) In her bedroom.
5. What famous writer does Flora say she does not want to be asked about?
(a) Virgina Woolf.
(b) Gertrude Stein.
(c) George Elliott.
(d) Muriel Sparks.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Pike's nationality?
2. Who had previously referred to the painting Anish has brought with him?
3. What does Flora say her sister probably hears more than she does?
4. What country is Flora traveling around in the opening scene?
5. How does Anish react when he sees the portrait?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Anish decide not to tell Pike about his father's watercolor?
2. What does Flora say about the watercolor Das gives her?
3. What does Anish say about Indian paintings?
4. Why does Das have to stop painting Flora in Act 1, Part 2?
5. What is the book UP THE COUNTRY about?
6. What happened to the first portrait of Flora?
7. How does the audience know Pike has arrived in India?
8. Why does Mrs. Swan think the symbolism in Das' painting is rubbish?
9. How does Anish know his father's work is unfinished?
10. What does Das tell Flora about Indian art?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)