|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the book Das gives to Flora?
(a) You Are Who You Are.
(b) Up the Country.
(c) Up the Alley.
(d) Indian Utopia.
2. Who is the enemy Flora refers to in her letters?
(a) The British government.
(b) Her ex-husband.
(c) The Indian nationalists.
(d) A critic.
3. Where does Mrs. Swan say her husband was posted?
4. What does Mrs. Swan say the oil painting she has upstairs looks like?
(a) An Indian movie poster.
(b) A Chinese landscape.
(c) A British seaside postcard.
(d) A Japanese Vignette.
5. What does Mrs. Swan say is a sure way of getting the details of a person's life wrong?
(a) Studying symbolism in poetry.
(b) Talking to old people.
(c) Writing a biography.
(d) Reading love letters.
6. What does Flora liken Das to?
(a) A pregnant cat.
(b) An injured elephant.
(c) A mother eagle.
(d) An eager dog.
7. What is the name of Flora's sister?
(a) Mrs. Bird.
(b) Mrs. Horace.
(c) Mrs. Pinkton.
(d) Mrs. Swan.
8. What city does Das say Flora painted him a picture of with words?
9. Who is waiting in Mrs. Swan's garden?
(a) A young Indian man.
(b) A young Chinese man.
(c) An young Japanese man
(d) A young Pakistani man.
10. Where did Flora see sculptures of Gods?
11. Where did Modigliani burn his painting?
(a) In the Ritz Hotel.
(b) The the Dorchester Hotel.
(c) In Flora's House.
(d) In the Brown Hotel.
12. What is Das carrying with him when he arrives at Flora's house?
(a) His painting gear.
(b) A bundle of flowers.
(c) His portfolio.
(d) A pile of books.
13. What kind of imagery does Flora's poem contain?
14. What is the name of the book Pike is putting together about Flora?
(a) Collected Letters.
(b) An English Woman in India.
(c) Collected Poems.
(d) An English Heroine.
15. What does Nazrul tell Das has happened to the pate?
(a) It has gone off.
(b) It has been stolen.
(c) It has been eaten.
(d) Someone has bought it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What decade is Mrs. Swan's part of the play set in?
2. What does Das say he had yesterday, but does not have today?
3. What is the name of the town where Flora met Mr. Coomaraswami?
4. Why does Das have to stop painting Flora?
5. How does Anish describe his painting?
This section contains 411 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)