|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bjartur tell Brynja at the end of Section 4?
2. What color shirt is the teacher wearing when the children meet him in Section 3?
3. What item is Bjartur's new house missing?
4. Where does Gvendur finally get to talk to Ingolfur's daughter in Section 4?
5. According to Helgi and Nonni's memory, who was their mother good friends with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens between Asta and the teacher in Section 3?
2. What impact does the "ghost" of Summerhouse have on the parish in Section 3?
3. What news does Nonni get at the end of Section 3, and what is his reaction?
4. What are the minister's views on the soul, as revealed in Section 3?
5. In The Walk, in Section 3, why do so many visitors come to Summerhouse?
6. In Section 4, Bjartur reveals his attitude about housekeepers. What is this attitude?
7. What do Bjartur and Asta Sollilja talk about in "The Right Cheek" in Section 3?
8. What news does the teacher bring them about the political situation in town when he comes in Section 3?
9. What is the problem with the house that Bjartur builds in Section 4?
10. What strange things happens to the Bjartur's flock of sheep in Section 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the contrast between city life and country life in the novel. What is Laxness saying about each? Which does he suggest is superior and why?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze how the theme of nature impacts the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Select one of the many songs or poems in the novel and analyze its meaning.
This section contains 948 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)