|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Gvendur, who is Asta's new husband?
2. What coveted item does Brynja own?
3. What do many Icelanders come to call World War I?
4. What surprising thing does Bjartur ask the roadmen for in Section 4?
5. Where does Gvendur plan to move in Section 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What impact does WWI have on Iceland, as told in Section 4?
2. Who is the stranger that shows up to Summerhouse in Section 3 after Bjartur leaves? What is everyone's reaction to him?
3. Where does Asta go at the end of Section 3?
4. How do Bjartur's feelings about his new house change over the course of the novel?
5. How does Bjartur treat all the people who come to his home in Section 3?
6. What are the minister's views on the soul, as revealed in Section 3?
7. What news does Nonni get at the end of Section 3, and what is his reaction?
8. What impact does the "ghost" of Summerhouse have on the parish in Section 3?
9. In The Walk, in Section 3, why do so many visitors come to Summerhouse?
10. What does Bjartur say to Gvendur when Gvendur tells him he is leaving for America in Section 4?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between the Bailiff and Bjartur is complicated. Track their relationship and analyze its dynamic.
Essay Topic 2
How does the theme of "self vs. community" manifest in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Bjartur desires independence above all else. How does this blind desire for independence negatively impact his life?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)