|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Frank and Paul find when they take a walk?
2. Where do Frank and Irv walk to kill some time?
3. What does Frank learn when he calls Ted Houlihan?
4. Who does Frank call in lieu of making business phone calls?
5. When Paul goes out to explore, what does Frank do?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the scenario between Frank and Paul as Paul is being wheeled out to the helicopter?
2. What do Frank and Paul do after they reach their hotel for the night?
3. What inappropriate phone call does Frank make from the hotel?
4. Why does seeing a copy of his novel at the hotel make Frank feel sad?
5. What is Frank's conflicted position regarding getting back together with Ann?
6. What are Ann's intentions for Paul's care?
7. What does Irv tell Frank about his memories of their life?
8. How is Paul injured at the Baseball Hall of Fame?
9. How does Ann respond when Frank tells her Paul wants to come live with him?
10. Who is Char?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think Paul is exhibiting such destructive behavior both towards himself and towards others? What are his underlying reasons for acting out? Do you think he has gone too far in trying to gain attention? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Richard Ford is a writer from Mississippi. Can you discern any Southern attributes in his style? In his content? In his characters? Explain why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the setting for the book. Why do you think the author used this setting? Could the story have taken place in any other location or time period? Explain.
This section contains 1,210 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)