|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank do after sending Paul down to breakfast?
2. According to Paul, what is "the one thing you can do that's truly unique to you and that society can't affect in any way?"
3. How does Frank characterize Irv and himself?
4. What does Frank think when his thoughts turn to the Markhams this morning?
5. Who has Ann brought with her to the hospital?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank escape the pain of Paul's accident--at least in his head?
2. Who is Char?
3. How does Frank respond when Charley makes an attempt to be friends?
4. How is Paul injured at the Baseball Hall of Fame?
5. What does Frank learn is the outcome of the possibility of the Markhams buying the Houlihan house?
6. How does Ann respond when Frank calls to tell her about Paul's accident?
7. What does Irv tell Frank about his memories of their life?
8. What inappropriate phone call does Frank make from the hotel?
9. How does Ann respond when Frank tells her Paul wants to come live with him?
10. Why does seeing a copy of his novel at the hotel make Frank feel sad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting for the book. Why do you think the author used this setting? Could the story have taken place in any other location or time period? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The characters in the story have a difficult time diving below the surface to get to their real feelings about anything? Cite examples where the author had opportunities to really do some character exploration but drew back intentionally.
Essay Topic 3
What is Frank's relationship with Sally at the beginning of the book? What is the state of their relationship at the end of the book? Do you think Sally really loves Frank? Do you think Frank loves Sally? Explain.
This section contains 1,270 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)