|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank urge Paul to keep?
2. What does Paul ask Frank if he remembers from Paul's childhood?
3. Who does Frank call in lieu of making business phone calls?
4. What gift does Frank's daughter give him?
5. What exhibit do Frank and Paul enjoy at the Basketball Hall of Fame?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Frank use the metaphor of independence when he talks to Paul about his own life?
2. How do Frank and Ann bond momentarily over Paul's injury?
3. Describe "The Shoot-Out."
4. What do Frank and Paul do after they reach their hotel for the night?
5. What does Frank learn is the outcome of the possibility of the Markhams buying the Houlihan house?
6. What is Frank's conflicted position regarding getting back together with Ann?
7. What are Ann's intentions for Paul's care?
8. What does Irv tell Frank about his memories of their life?
9. What inappropriate phone call does Frank make from the hotel?
10. How does the author indicate that Paul is disappointed often by Frank?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting for the book. Why do you think the author used this setting? Could the story have taken place in any other location or time period? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Project what you think will happen to Paul. Will this Independence Day weekend with Frank have had a positive impact on him? Will he be able to learn to be happy again? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In what ways does Frank relate to Joe Markham? Do they share many of the problems and angst of most men their age? Or are they different in what they are going through? Explain.
This section contains 1,083 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)