|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Frank tell Sally when he calls her?
2. When Paul goes out to explore, what does Frank do?
3. What does Paul do when Frank gets out of the car at a scenic spot?
4. Who is Irv considering taking as his third wife?
5. Why does Ann kiss Frank?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Paul injured at the Baseball Hall of Fame?
2. What does Irv tell Frank about his memories of their life?
3. What does Frank learn about Paul's condition at the hospital?
4. In what way do Frank and Paul finally begin to connect at the hotel?
5. What does Frank learn is the outcome of the possibility of the Markhams buying the Houlihan house?
6. What is Frank's conflicted position regarding getting back together with Ann?
7. Explain Frank's frustrations with the Markhams.
8. How does Frank respond when Charley makes an attempt to be friends?
9. How does Frank use the metaphor of independence when he talks to Paul about his own life?
10. What are Ann's intentions for Paul's care?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the setting for the book. Why do you think the author used this setting? Could the story have taken place in any other location or time period? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
It seems as if Frank is able to analyze his thoughts and behaviors when he is driving and he spends a lot of time driving. Why does the author use a vehicle as a vehicle for Frank's exploration of his life?
Essay Topic 3
What is Frank's relationship with his ex-wife, Ann, as the story begins? What is their relationship by the end of the story? What are Frank's hopes for the extension of their relationship long-term?
This section contains 1,174 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)