|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Lonnie and his buddies get joke presents for the stag party?
2. The Washington Monument is a gleaming what against the sky, according to the author?
3. What does Sam think of the United States as she drives to Washington?
4. What does Emmett say when Sam tells him she is not afraid of snakes or hoot owls?
5. Since Dawn got pregnant, Sam has been feeling that if she doesn't watch her step, her life could be ruined by something stupid like what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam think would have happened if her parents had waited to have her until Dwayne got back from the war?
2. How does Sam react as they are getting closer to the Vietnam Memorial?
3. How does Emmett end up at Irene's house in Lexington?
4. Why does Sam have trouble caring about her father?
5. How determined is Grandma Smith to go to Florida?
6. How does Sam feel about her current status as a runaway?
7. How does Sam blame herself for what went wrong with Tom at his apartment?
8. According to Sam, what do girls, boys, women, and talk about and how are men different?
9. How does Irene describe Bob?
10. When Tom asks if Sam wants eggs, what does she assume will happen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anita loves Emmett very much. Why can't Emmett have a relationship with her? What does Sam speculate at different times in the book might be his problem with Anita and women in general?
Essay Topic 2
The house Sam lives in is falling apart. Explain how the house is a metaphor for in this book.
Essay Topic 3
Why is Tom attractive to Sam? Why won't he return her affections?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)