|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which restaurant do Mawmaw, Sam, and Emmett eat?
2. What does Emmett think is wrong with the VW?
3. What does Anita say about the Vietnam War in general, agreeing with what Sam says her mother thinks about the war?
4. What kind of food does Martha say is going to be at Lonnie's brother's wedding?
5. Who does Sam imagine bellowing out rock songs at the enemy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Sam and Dawn have in common concerning their living arrangements?
2. For Sam, what is the difference between the way people express their feelings on TV versus how they do in real life?
3. How does Sam feel about Bruce Springsteen?
4. Why doesn't Emmett take the job he is offered at the cookie factory?
5. Why does Hopewell have Flag Days?
6. How does Emmett respond when Sam asks idf he is afraid their house will fall down?
7. What does Sam have in her purse that she thinks Mawmaw would have a heart attack if she found out was there and what is her plan if she gets pulled over by the police?
8. Why doesn't Lonnie want to be an electrician?
9. What is the difference between Dwayne and Emmett in relation to Vietnam?
10. How does Anita describe the police officer she is dating from Benton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does having a car symbolize for Sam? How does she feel when she finally gets it?
Essay Topic 2
Sam believes Emmett has been exposed to Agent Orange. Why does she think this? How does Emmett react? Why does she worry so much about Emmett?
Essay Topic 3
To Sam, Dawn represents the status quo in Hopewell. How? What does Sam tell her to to do to avoid being part of the norm there?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)