|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Emmett tell Sam is Bruce Springsteen's nickname?
2. What does Sam think of her name?
3. What is Dawn examining nonchalantly as Sam buys the item for her at the drugstore?
4. Where does Sam speculate that her father with his family might have moved had he lived?
5. Because of working on the foundation of the house, Emmett becomes acutely conscious of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Sam have in her purse that she thinks Mawmaw would have a heart attack if she found out was there and what is her plan if she gets pulled over by the police?
2. Why didn't Sam move to Lexington with her mother and her new husband?
3. How does Sam feel about Dawn's news of being pregnant?
4. What is the difference between Dwayne and Emmett in relation to Vietnam?
5. How does Dawn feel about her father?
6. Why is it ironic that Colonel Blake fell out of the sky on his way home from the war?
7. For Sam, what is the difference between the way people express their feelings on TV versus how they do in real life?
8. Why does Emmett warn Sam and Lonnie not to let Moon Pie outside when the leave for Caewood's Pond?
9. How does Sam see the waitress at Howard Johnson's where she, Mawmaw, and Emmett eat on their trip?
10. How does Sam feel about Bruce Springsteen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Anita loves Emmett very much. Why can't Emmett have a relationship with her? What does Sam speculate at different times in the book might be his problem with Anita and women in general?
Essay Topic 2
How is Sam's impression of Vietnam different from soldier accounts of life there? How does Emmett feel about her impression of the war?
Essay Topic 3
What effect has the Vetnam War had on Emmett? How does it compare to the effect it had on other veterans of the war?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)