|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do skin disease do grown-ups get that is a version of an adolescent skin disease?
2. When is Lonnie's brother getting married?
3. Why didn't Lonnie get a basketball scholarship to Murray?
4. What does Sam say she knows a thing or two about concerning cars?
5. What does Emmett say that science can't explain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Sam afraid to ask Emmett why he flew the Vietcong flag from the courthouse?
2. How does Sam see the waitress at Howard Johnson's where she, Mawmaw, and Emmett eat on their trip?
3. What does Sam have in her purse that she thinks Mawmaw would have a heart attack if she found out was there and what is her plan if she gets pulled over by the police?
4. How does Anita describe the police officer she is dating from Benton?
5. What do Sam and Dawn have in common concerning their living arrangements?
6. How does Dawn feel about her father?
7. For Sam, what is the difference between the way people express their feelings on TV versus how they do in real life?
8. What makes Emmett say that Earl gets up on his high horse?
9. How does Emmett respond when Sam asks idf he is afraid their house will fall down?
10. How does Sam think society has changed towards women becomeing pregnant out of wedlock?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Beatles are a recurrent motif in the book. What do they represent for Sam?
Essay Topic 2
How is Sam's impression of Vietnam different from soldier accounts of life there? How does Emmett feel about her impression of the war?
Essay Topic 3
To Sam, Dawn represents the status quo in Hopewell. How? What does Sam tell her to to do to avoid being part of the norm there?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)