|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sam think Emmett has been progressing over the years?
2. Where does Tom say the bird that Emmett is looking for resided in Vietnam?
3. What does Sam think beer smells like when Lonnie kisses her and it is on his breath? Sulpher
4. What does Sam think is tragic about Dawn?
5. How much does Emmett complain that his skin doctor appointment costs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Colonel Blake fell out of the sky on his way home from the war?
2. How does Tom feel about making it back from the war?
3. What is the reason Sam thinks Jim's wife let him?
4. What do Sam and Dawn have in common concerning their living arrangements?
5. Why does Sam think America could have won the Vietnam War if the enemy understood English?
6. What is the excuse Sam thinks to herself that might keep her from going to Lonnie's brother's wedding?
7. What does Dawn tell her when Sam tells her Lonnie is going to a stag party?
8. How does Anita act towards Emmett when she comes over for dinner?
9. How does Sam feel about Dawn's news of being pregnant?
10. Why is Sam afraid to ask Emmett why he flew the Vietcong flag from the courthouse?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
To Sam, Dawn represents the status quo in Hopewell. How? What does Sam tell her to to do to avoid being part of the norm there?
Essay Topic 2
What does the egret symbolize for Emmett? Discuss various instances in the book where Emmett looks for the egret and what it means to him.
Essay Topic 3
Mawmaw seems out of touch with her own feelings and with modern reality. Explain how and why this irritates Sam.
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)