|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What made Sam want to cry at Mawmaw's farm?
(a) Emmet's state of mind.
(b) How dumb she thinks Donna is.
(c) The cat with its ears clipped.
(d) Her father's portrait.
2. The Washington Monument is a gleaming what against the sky, according to the author?
(a) Piece of chalk.
(d) Alien antenna.
3. Because of the jungle marching, Dwayne writes that his feet look like what?
(a) Shredded rags.
(b) Boiled chicken's feet.
(c) Bloody monster hands.
(d) Peeled potatoes.
4. From where did Lonnie and his buddies get joke presents for the stag party?
(a) The drugstore.
(b) An adult bookstoore.
(d) The Comedy Shop.
5. What idea from the war is Sam trying to emulate by staying outside at night?
(a) Humping the boonies.
(b) Stalking the enemy.
(c) Raking the rat holes.
(d) Pre-empting ambush.
Short Answer Questions
1. What movie does Lonnie ask if Sam wants to go see?
2. According to Grandma Smith, what do young folks not appreciate?
3. Emmett had what ailment when he was eleven?
4. From where does Sam impulsively buy smoked oysters, cocktail hot dogs, smoked octopus, and other gourmet treats?
5. What is Mawmaw's daughter's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why hadn't the the previous occupant of Sam's house, Bessie, thrown away the liquor bottles her husband had drunk from?
2. How does Sam react as they are getting closer to the Vietnam Memorial?
3. How does Emmett end up at Irene's house in Lexington?
4. How does Sam perceive the Washington Monument and the flag near the Vietnam Memorial?
5. How does Sam speculate on how women would run the world if they had the power men had?
6. How does Emmett react to Sam's admonishment of her father's feelings toward the war that he expressed in his journal?
7. What is happening to Sam's perception as she spends time in Tom's apartment?
8. According to Sam, what do girls, boys, women, and talk about and how are men different?
9. Why does Sam have trouble caring about her father?
10. What does Sam think would have happened if her parents had waited to have her until Dwayne got back from the war?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)