|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Agent Dewey lose weight while working on the Clutter case?
2. Who did one of the agents find out had a negative business transaction with the Clutters and had made threats toward Herb?
3. In Smith's nightmare, what always saved him in the end?
4. Why does Perry Smith suffer from chronic pain?
5. How many people had Hickock murdered before the Clutter crime?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Hickock blame for the crimes after he and Smith were arrested in Las Vegas?
2. What event happened to help Smith to feel less lonely while awaiting his trial?
3. In what way does Capote set the scene in Part 1 of In Cold Blood?
4. What convinced Hickock to take Smith along as a partner to complete the murders?
5. Why did Smith give Mrs. Meier an old photograph of himself when he was sixteen?
6. How did Floyd Wells know who committed the murders of the Clutter family?
7. Who wrote down the license plate number of the stolen car Smith and Hickock were driving, a 1956 Chevrolet?
8. What caused the apparent psychiatric disorders from which Bonnie Clutter suffered?
9. Since childhood, what reoccured for Smith?
10. What characteristic did Willie-Jay and Richard Hickock both see in Perry Smith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay discussing the title, In Cold Blood. Is it appropriate? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
What was the most important event in this book? Explain and justify your choice with specific details from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Use Capote's detailed description of the execution to write an essay on descriptive language and its effects on the reader. Include personal feelings and reactions as you read this portion of the text.
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)