|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mr. Helm's job?
2. Which of the Clutter children was somewhat eccentric?
3. Who did one of the agents find out had a negative business transaction with the Clutters and had made threats toward Herb?
4. Who claimed Smith is a good person who had not gotten any breaks?
5. Which of the following was not one of the good qualities Willie Jay saw in Smith?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Hickock blame for the crimes after he and Smith were arrested in Las Vegas?
2. Who wrote down the license plate number of the stolen car Smith and Hickock were driving, a 1956 Chevrolet?
3. What characteristics were the same about each of the victims, relating to the manner in which they were killed?
4. Why did Mrs. Meier develop an affection for Smith?
5. Where did the townsfolk go to vent about the murder in their small town?
6. Explain at least two things that happened to Dewey which some might think would be positive events in an investigation, but in this case lead nowhere.
7. What event happened to help Smith to feel less lonely while awaiting his trial?
8. What did Smith and Hickock do right after the Cutter murders?
9. What did Hickock think of Smith's treasure hunting plans?
10. What correction did Smith make to his confession?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how the author in this text uses foreshadowing. Provide specific examples from the text to support the information contained in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay about capital punishment. Use information from the book to provide supporting details for or against capital punishment.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how the author's attempts to increase the reader's sympathy for Smith. Be sure to include both details specifically from the text and personal responses to the author's words to support your essay.
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)