|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the lodge that Smith and his father built and ran in Alaska?
2. Which term best describes the evidence upon which the case could be built after Dewey first took over the investigation?
3. How did Hickock and Smith meet?
4. Which of the Clutter children did the town believe to be a genius?
5. Which individual is shown to be primarily a schemer and a con man?
Short Essay Questions
1. What characteristic did Willie-Jay and Richard Hickock both see in Perry Smith?
2. What event happened to help Smith to feel less lonely while awaiting his trial?
3. How did Floyd Wells know who committed the murders of the Clutter family?
4. What did Hickock say he believed even after he admitted that the he had some wrong information about the Clutters?
5. What physical characteristic did Perry Smith and Richard Hickock share?
6. What correction did Smith make to his confession?
7. Since childhood, what reoccured for Smith?
8. How did Smith hope to pay back all of the people he and Hickock had taken advantage of through their criminal activities?
9. In what order did the sheriff, Mr. Ewalt and Mr. Hendricks find the victims?
10. What did Smith's premonitions say to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing journalistic integrity. Include supporting details from this book which both support Capote as having a journalistic integrity and deny his journalistic integrity.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing Smith as a person. Is he pitiable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Capote often claimed in interviews that he had perfect recall. Write an essay on the idea of perfect recall. Do you believe it exists? Do you believe Capote had perfect recall? Why or why not.
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)