|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Smith expect to get the money to pay back everyone he and Hickock had conned?
2. On what day did the events described in part one of In Cold Blood take place?
3. What did Hickock know would make Smith the perfect partner for this criminal activity?
4. What did Mr. Helm see in Mrs. Clutter's window?
5. Why are the initials on the binoculars important?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused the apparent psychiatric disorders from which Bonnie Clutter suffered?
2. In what way does Capote set the scene in Part 1 of In Cold Blood?
3. What role did Dewey think the newly acquired life insurance policy had on the murder?
4. With whom did Herb Clutter meet on the last day of his life, and what was the purpose of this meeting?
5. Why did Hickock want to ditch the hitchhikers?
6. Why did Hickock make a shiv in jail, and what did he hope to do with it?
7. What did Smith do with the squirrel that visited him in his cell?
8. What did Hickock say he believed even after he admitted that the he had some wrong information about the Clutters?
9. Where did the townsfolk go to vent about the murder in their small town?
10. Who found the Clutters after they had been murdered, and what led to this discovery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how the author's attempts to increase the reader's sympathy for Smith. Be sure to include both details specifically from the text and personal responses to the author's words to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Create a comparative essay between the individuals, Hickock and Smith. Include personality, social, physical and other traits which can be used to compare the two individuals and use specific details from the text to support your comparison.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the symbolism of the cats and how it is used to represent Smith's life events.
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)