|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hickock finally admit to Smith about the crime?
2. How did Smith and Hickock continue to earn money in Mexico?
3. How much was the life insurance police that Herb Clutter took out worth?
4. How many people had Hickock murdered before the Clutter crime?
5. Where were Kenyon and Mr. Clutter's bodies found after the murder?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to the request to abolish the verdict for Smith and Hickock?
2. What did Smith's premonitions say to him?
3. Where did Smith and Hickock find their next stolen car, a 1956 Chevrolet?
4. Why did Mrs. Meier develop an affection for Smith?
5. Why did Larry Hendrick accompany Mr. Ewalt back to the Clutter house when the murders were discovered?
6. In what order did the sheriff, Mr. Ewalt and Mr. Hendricks find the victims?
7. How did Hickock find his and Smith's destination, the Clutter house, on the night of the murders?
8. What characteristic did Willie-Jay and Richard Hickock both see in Perry Smith?
9. What did Smith and Hickock do right after the Cutter murders?
10. Why did Hickock make a shiv in jail, and what did he hope to do with it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how the author's attempts to increase the reader's sympathy for Smith. Be sure to include both details specifically from the text and personal responses to the author's words to support your essay.
Essay Topic 2
If you were Capote, would you have written the book in the same way or would you have been more factual? Support your decision.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the problem or main conflict existing for Smith within this book. Explain in detail how this conflict was or was not resolved.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)