|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Smith had a premonition that what awaited both he and Hickock?
2. Which individual is shown to be primarily a schemer and a con man?
3. What did Hickock finally admit to Smith about the crime?
4. Where were Smith and Hickcock trying to go when they came back from the states from Mexico?
5. From which of the following does it say in the book that Herb abstained from?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did the townsfolk go to vent about the murder in their small town?
2. Where did Smith and Hickock find their next stolen car, a 1956 Chevrolet?
3. In Part 2 of In Cold Blood, why did the hotel manager assume Smith would be returning to the hotel?
4. Explain at least two things that happened to Dewey which some might think would be positive events in an investigation, but in this case lead nowhere.
5. Who wrote down the license plate number of the stolen car Smith and Hickock were driving, a 1956 Chevrolet?
6. What was troubling about two of Smith's siblings?
7. Why did Smith and Hickock head for the post office when they finally made it back to Las Vegas?
8. What happened to the request to abolish the verdict for Smith and Hickock?
9. Why did Larry Hendrick accompany Mr. Ewalt back to the Clutter house when the murders were discovered?
10. What was the last thing Capote describes Nancy as doing before her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dr. Jones identified Smith as having a mental disorder. In your opinion, would a mental hospital have been a better judgment for Smith? Why or why not? Use information from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the problem or main conflict existing for Smith within this book. Explain in detail how this conflict was or was not resolved.
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing journalistic integrity. Include supporting details from this book which both support Capote as having a journalistic integrity and deny his journalistic integrity.
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)