|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who claimed Smith should stop blaming everyone else for his problems and accept the responsibility himself?
2. What activity did Nancy, Kenyon, and Herb do on their final night alive?
3. Why was Hickock sure that Smith would not have any problem with committing the murder?
4. Why did Agent Dewey lose weight while working on the Clutter case?
5. How many people attended the Clutter funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what did the doctor blame much of Smith's mental health damage?
2. How did Hickock find his and Smith's destination, the Clutter house, on the night of the murders?
3. How long did Smith and Hickock wait for their execution?
4. What did Smith say about why he killed the Clutters?
5. Describe some events describing why Smith's childhood was difficult and unfortunate.
6. How did Smith hope to pay back all of the people he and Hickock had taken advantage of through their criminal activities?
7. It was because of whose relationship with the Clutters that they end up murdered?
8. Who did Hickock blame for the crimes after he and Smith were arrested in Las Vegas?
9. What correction did Smith make to his confession?
10. What did Nancy and Kenyon Clutter have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing this genre. Include opinions and supporting details about the objectivity of the author throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Capote often claimed in interviews that he had perfect recall. Write an essay on the idea of perfect recall. Do you believe it exists? Do you believe Capote had perfect recall? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the major themes from this book. Write an essay describing the theme. Include supporting details from the text which show how this theme is developed throughout the book.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)