|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the C;utter children were still living at home at the time of the murders?
2. What did Hickock do to get some money for himself and Smith?
3. Who lead the investigation into the Clutter murders?
4. What happened to the passing stranger who was considered a suspect in the Clutter murders?
5. Which individual was a rodeo-performer at one time?
Short Essay Questions
1. With whom did Herb Clutter meet on the last day of his life, and what was the purpose of this meeting?
2. What happened to the request to abolish the verdict for Smith and Hickock?
3. Why did the court assign lawyers for Smith and Hickcock?
4. Why did Hickock study law while he awaited his execution?
5. How did Smith hope to pay back all of the people he and Hickock had taken advantage of through their criminal activities?
6. What correction did Smith make to his confession?
7. How did Floyd Wells know who committed the murders of the Clutter family?
8. Why was Nancy Clutter admired for her energy and industry?
9. What convinced Hickock to take Smith along as a partner to complete the murders?
10. Why did Hickock want to ditch the hitchhikers?
Essay Topic 1
Use Capote's detailed description of the execution to write an essay on descriptive language and its effects on the reader. Include personal feelings and reactions as you read this portion of the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing this genre. Include opinions and supporting details about the objectivity of the author throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the major themes from this book. Write an essay describing the theme. Include supporting details from the text which show how this theme is developed throughout the book.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)