|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the Clutter children was somewhat eccentric?
2. What did Kenyon spend hours in the basement doing?
3. What did Mr. Helm see in Mrs. Clutter's window?
4. Which individual was found dead on top of the mattress box?
5. Who concluded that Smith and his sister could have no relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain at least two things that happened to Dewey which some might think would be positive events in an investigation, but in this case lead nowhere.
2. When one of Dewey's agents turned up a father and son who completed business with the Clutters, why were they considered suspects even for a very short period of time?
3. What did Smith's premonitions say to him?
4. Since childhood, what reoccured for Smith?
5. Why did Hickock study law while he awaited his execution?
6. What correction did Smith make to his confession?
7. How did Floyd Wells know who committed the murders of the Clutter family?
8. Why do you think Smith was impressed about the Clutter funeral?
9. Describe some events describing why Smith's childhood was difficult and unfortunate.
10. What characteristic did Willie-Jay and Richard Hickock both see in Perry Smith?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1Describe how events in the story could be equated with the mentality of a lynch mob. Be sure to use supporting details from the text in your description.
Essay Topic 2Describe the problem or main conflict existing for Smith within this book. Explain in detail how this conflict was or was not resolved.
Essay Topic 3Write an essay describing this genre. Include opinions and supporting details about the objectivity of the author throughout the book.
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)