|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Hickock sure that Smith would not have any problem with committing the murder?
2. How many people attended the Clutter funeral?
3. Who did one of the agents find out had a negative business transaction with the Clutters and had made threats toward Herb?
4. Of what was Dewey an agent?
5. Who lead the investigation into the Clutter murders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Meier develop an affection for Smith?
2. Why was Nancy Clutter admired for her energy and industry?
3. Why did Smith and Hickock's lawyer's think they could keep their clients from being hung?
4. Why did Smith and Hickock head for the post office when they finally made it back to Las Vegas?
5. What characteristic did Willie-Jay and Richard Hickock both see in Perry Smith?
6. On what did the doctor blame much of Smith's mental health damage?
7. What did Smith do with the squirrel that visited him in his cell?
8. Explain at least two things that happened to Dewey which some might think would be positive events in an investigation, but in this case lead nowhere.
9. Who wrote down the license plate number of the stolen car Smith and Hickock were driving, a 1956 Chevrolet?
10. Why did Mr. Ewalt have to drive back to Susan's apartment to call the Sheriff about the Clutter murders?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the most important event in this book? Explain and justify your choice with specific details from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing this genre. Include opinions and supporting details about the objectivity of the author throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
If you were Capote, would you have written the book in the same way or would you have been more factual? Support your decision.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)