|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The town where the Clutter family lived had a population of about how many?
2. Of what was Dewey an agent?
3. Which of the Clutter children was somewhat eccentric?
4. Where did Smith and Hickock meet Otto?
5. What happened to the passing stranger who was considered a suspect in the Clutter murders?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think the police knew where to find Smith and Hickock?
2. What did Smith do with the squirrel that visited him in his cell?
3. Describe some events describing why Smith's childhood was difficult and unfortunate.
4. What was troubling about two of Smith's siblings?
5. Where did the townsfolk go to vent about the murder in their small town?
6. It was because of whose relationship with the Clutters that they end up murdered?
7. Once in Florida, what was the only dream Smith felt he had left?
8. Why did Hickock make a shiv in jail, and what did he hope to do with it?
9. What happened to the request to abolish the verdict for Smith and Hickock?
10. In Part 2 of In Cold Blood, why did the hotel manager assume Smith would be returning to the hotel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing this genre. Include opinions and supporting details about the objectivity of the author throughout the book.
Essay Topic 2
Dr. Jones identified Smith as having a mental disorder. In your opinion, would a mental hospital have been a better judgment for Smith? Why or why not? Use information from the text to support your position.
Essay Topic 3
Describe how events in the story could be equated with the mentality of a lynch mob. Be sure to use supporting details from the text in your description.
This section contains 607 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)