|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Smith and Hickock meet Otto?
2. Who lead the investigation into the Clutter murders?
3. Mrs. Clutter experienced depression after which event?
4. Who concluded that Smith and his sister could have no relationship?
5. What was one of the former jobs of Alvin Dewey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the last thing Capote describes Nancy as doing before her death?
2. Explain some of the details of Smith's dream.
3. How did Hickock find his and Smith's destination, the Clutter house, on the night of the murders?
4. Why was Nancy Clutter admired for her energy and industry?
5. Where did Smith and Hickock find their next stolen car, a 1956 Chevrolet?
6. Why did the court assign lawyers for Smith and Hickcock?
7. What did Hickock think of Smith's treasure hunting plans?
8. Why did Hickock study law while he awaited his execution?
9. Explain at least two things that happened to Dewey which some might think would be positive events in an investigation, but in this case lead nowhere.
10. It was because of whose relationship with the Clutters that they end up murdered?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing Smith as a person. Is he pitiable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the major themes from this book. Write an essay describing the theme. Include supporting details from the text which show how this theme is developed throughout the book.
Essay Topic 3
Dr. Jones identified Smith as having a mental disorder. In your opinion, would a mental hospital have been a better judgment for Smith? Why or why not? Use information from the text to support your position.
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)