|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did at least one family decide to leave Holcomb after the murders?
2. Where is the small drugstore that is described in part one of In Cold Blood?
3. Which two individual met at the drugstore the night of the murder?
4. What did Hickock know would make Smith the perfect partner for this criminal activity?
5. What was one of the former jobs of Alvin Dewey?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were the Christmas holidays hard on Bobby Rupp?
2. Where did Smith and Hickock find their next stolen car, a 1956 Chevrolet?
3. Why did Smith and Hickock head for the post office when they finally made it back to Las Vegas?
4. It was because of whose relationship with the Clutters that they end up murdered?
5. Who found the Clutters after they had been murdered, and what led to this discovery?
6. What crimes did Hickock's parents suspect their son and Smith had committed?
7. What was the last thing Capote describes Nancy as doing before her death?
8. What did Smith do with the squirrel that visited him in his cell?
9. Describe some events describing why Smith's childhood was difficult and unfortunate.
10. What did Smith and Hickock do right after the Cutter murders?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing Smith as a person. Is he pitiable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Capote often claimed in interviews that he had perfect recall. Write an essay on the idea of perfect recall. Do you believe it exists? Do you believe Capote had perfect recall? Why or why not.
Essay Topic 3
Describe in detail the symbolism of the cats and how it is used to represent Smith's life events.
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)