|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
2. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
3. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
4. After Linda receives the letter from the Flints, who comes to New York to look for her?
5. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
2. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
3. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
4. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
5. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
6. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
7. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
8. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
9. What are some of the hardships Aunt Nancy has to endure while being a slave in the Flint household?
10. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Linda needed a strong support system in order to make it through her ordeal. Using examples from the text, describe Linda's support system. How is her support system different in the North versus the one she has in the South?
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the text and discussion, list 10-20 ways that the slaveholders controlled their slaves.
Essay Topic 3
A common theme throughout the text was Linda's fear. She had several fears, such as avoiding Dr. Flint's sexual advances. What are some of Linda's other fears throughout her life?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)