|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
2. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
3. What horrific truth does Linda learn about Ellen's situation with the Hobbs'?
4. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
5. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
2. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
3. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
4. What are some of the reasons why Linda does not want to part from Ellen when Ellen has the opportunity to go to boarding school?
5. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
6. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
7. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
8. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
9. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
10. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Preface, Jacobs explains that she changed the names of the characters in the text. Explain Jacobs' reasoning for doing this using examples from the text. Why does Jacob's change the names? If this is a non-fiction text, why does Jacobs change her own name? Why do some characters have no names at all?
Essay Topic 2
A common theme in anti-slavery text is an uneducated slave outwitting an educated Master. In what ways is this theme represented in "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl"?
Essay Topic 3
Linda Brent chooses to run away from her Master/Mistress. Is this decision selfish? How does Jacobs' choice affect her family and her children? Is it fair to her children for Linda to hide from them for nearly seven years? Use details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)