|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of the character Linda meets soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
2. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
3. After Linda's meeting with Ellen, whom does she begin looking for?
4. Who is finally able to purchase Linda's freedom for her?
5. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
2. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
4. Why does Amy Post write the appendix for Linda?
5. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
6. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
7. What are some of the reasons why Linda does not want to part from Ellen when Ellen has the opportunity to go to boarding school?
8. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
9. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
10. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first several chapters of the text, Linda describes several of Dr. Flint's unwanted advances and she explains that she longs to remain pure and virtuous. In later chapters, Linda is still trying to avoid Dr. Flint's advances. Using examples from the text, explain why Dr. Flint's sexual advances eventually produce a change in Linda, causing her to go from protecting herself to protecting her children.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, the author introduces the reader to some of the trials of a slave. Pick either a cruel or kind slaveholder and then list some of the qualities of that master. Then describe some of the trials a slave might or might not face living with either a cruel or kind slaveholder.
Essay Topic 3
In one of his letters to Linda, Dr. Flint claims that he has never, nor would never go through any attempts to capture Linda and return her to slavery. Linda and the reader know otherwise. What are some of the attempts Dr. Flint uses to try and capture Linda? Why does Dr. Flint lie?
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)