|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year is the appendix written?
2. Why is Linda concerned about finding employment in Chapter 33?
3. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
4. Why is Linda unable to trust the captain in charge of her escape?
5. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
2. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
3. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
4. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
5. What are some of the reasons why Linda does not want to part from Ellen when Ellen has the opportunity to go to boarding school?
6. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
7. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
8. Using the text to support your answer, describe Benny's first reaction to the North.
9. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
10. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first several chapters of the text, Linda describes several of Dr. Flint's unwanted advances and she explains that she longs to remain pure and virtuous. In later chapters, Linda is still trying to avoid Dr. Flint's advances. Using examples from the text, explain why Dr. Flint's sexual advances eventually produce a change in Linda, causing her to go from protecting herself to protecting her children.
Essay Topic 2
Linda is distraught when her Aunt Nancy suddenly dies. Linda claims that her Aunt Nancy was 'slowly murdered' from overwork and neglect. What are some of the effects of overwork and neglect on the body that were discussed in class?
Essay Topic 3
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)