|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
2. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
3. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
4. Where does Linda leave Benny when she travels to England?
5. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using the text to support your answer, describe Benny's first reaction to the North.
2. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
3. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
4. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
5. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
6. Why does Amy Post write the appendix for Linda?
7. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
8. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
9. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
10. What are some of the reasons why Linda does not want to part from Ellen when Ellen has the opportunity to go to boarding school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Underground Railroad was an important infrastructure during Linda's era and during slavery in general. Although it was not mentioned specifically in the text, it did play an important role in Linda's escape. Citing examples from class discussions and research, describe the Underground Railroad and the importance of it during the slavery era. Determine how Linda used the Underground Railroad.
Essay Topic 2
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
Essay Topic 3
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)