|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
2. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
3. Who does Linda meet soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
4. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
5. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
2. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
3. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
4. Why does Amy Post write the appendix for Linda?
5. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
6. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
7. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
8. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
9. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
10. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Linda is distraught when her Aunt Nancy suddenly dies. Linda claims that her Aunt Nancy was 'slowly murdered' from overwork and neglect. What are some of the effects of overwork and neglect on the body that were discussed in class?
Essay Topic 2
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text and discussion, list 10-20 ways that the slaveholders controlled their slaves.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)