|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do William and Benny decide to move after Linda returns from England?
2. After Linda receives the letter from the Flints, who comes to New York to look for her?
3. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
4. In whose house does Linda meet her daughter?
5. What horrific truth does Linda learn about Ellen's situation with the Hobbs'?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Linda Brent chooses to run away from her Master/Mistress. Is this decision selfish? How does Jacobs' choice affect her family and her children? Is it fair to her children for Linda to hide from them for nearly seven years? Use details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Linda paints a portrait of how Caucasian women were treated and how African-American women were treated by society, families, and slaveholders. Using examples from the text, show how each ethic group was repressed and compare/contrast how they were treated.
Essay Topic 3
Define irony and list 5-10 examples of irony from the text.
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)