|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ellen send to finish her schooling?
2. How does Mrs. Bruce react to the news that Linda confesses to her?
3. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
4. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
5. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
2. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
3. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
4. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
5. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
6. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
7. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
8. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
10. What are some of the reasons why Linda does not want to part from Ellen when Ellen has the opportunity to go to boarding school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text and discussion, list 10-20 ways that the slaveholders controlled their slaves.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Linda wanted to buy her freedom from the Flint family, but at the end Linda was upset when Mrs. Bruce bought Linda her freedom. What events in Linda's life cause her to change her opinion? Can human beings really belong to someone else?
Essay Topic 3
Linda Brent chooses to run away from her Master/Mistress. Is this decision selfish? How does Jacobs' choice affect her family and her children? Is it fair to her children for Linda to hide from them for nearly seven years? Use details from the text to support your answer.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)