|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
2. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
3. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
4. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
5. What one lie does the author point out in the letter from Emily?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
3. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
4. Why does Amy Post write the appendix for Linda?
5. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
6. What are some of the reasons why Linda does not want to part from Ellen when Ellen has the opportunity to go to boarding school?
7. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
8. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
9. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
10. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Linda needed a strong support system in order to make it through her ordeal. Using examples from the text, describe Linda's support system. How is her support system different in the North versus the one she has in the South?
Essay Topic 2
A common theme in anti-slavery text is an uneducated slave outwitting an educated Master. In what ways is this theme represented in "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl"?
Essay Topic 3
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)