|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
2. Why is Linda unable to trust the captain in charge of her escape?
3. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
4. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
5. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
2. What are some of the hardships Aunt Nancy has to endure while being a slave in the Flint household?
3. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
4. What are some of the reasons why Linda does not want to part from Ellen when Ellen has the opportunity to go to boarding school?
5. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
6. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
7. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
8. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
9. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
10. Why does Amy Post write the appendix for Linda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Preface, Jacobs explains that she changed the names of the characters in the text. Explain Jacobs' reasoning for doing this using examples from the text. Why does Jacob's change the names? If this is a non-fiction text, why does Jacobs change her own name? Why do some characters have no names at all?
Essay Topic 2
Define irony and list 5-10 examples of irony from the text.
Essay Topic 3
A common theme throughout the text was Linda's fear. She had several fears, such as avoiding Dr. Flint's sexual advances. What are some of Linda's other fears throughout her life?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)