|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
2. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
3. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
4. Who is staying at the Hobbs' house when Linda goes to visit Ellen?
5. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
2. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
3. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
4. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
5. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
6. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
7. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
8. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
9. What are some of the hardships Aunt Nancy has to endure while being a slave in the Flint household?
10. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
Essay Topic 2
In the Introduction and Appendix, friends of Harriet Jacobs wrote statements confirming that all the events in the story were true and accurate. Why does Jacobs need this affirmation? Why don't people of Jacobs' era believe that the text is an autobiography?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Jacobs provides a sequence of events from her life. Using details from the text, supply 10-20 events from Jacobs' life in sequential order.
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)