|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
2. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
3. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
4. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
5. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
2. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
3. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
4. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
5. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
6. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
7. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
8. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
9. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
10. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in anti-slavery text is an uneducated slave outwitting an educated Master. In what ways is this theme represented in "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl"?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Linda paints a portrait of how Caucasian women were treated and how African-American women were treated by society, families, and slaveholders. Using examples from the text, show how each ethic group was repressed and compare/contrast how they were treated.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text and discussion, list 10-20 ways that the slaveholders controlled their slaves.
This section contains 886 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)