|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
2. What country is Linda's new employer from?
3. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
4. What two things does Linda immediately notice about Ellen?
5. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
2. While walking on the street, Linda runs into an old friend from her hometown. His name is Luke and he's had a particularly hard life as a slave. What are some of the hardships Luke has to endure?
3. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
4. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
5. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
6. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
7. What are some of the hardships Aunt Nancy has to endure while being a slave in the Flint household?
8. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
9. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
10. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one of his letters to Linda, Dr. Flint claims that he has never, nor would never go through any attempts to capture Linda and return her to slavery. Linda and the reader know otherwise. What are some of the attempts Dr. Flint uses to try and capture Linda? Why does Dr. Flint lie?
Essay Topic 2
Linda is distraught when her Aunt Nancy suddenly dies. Linda claims that her Aunt Nancy was 'slowly murdered' from overwork and neglect. What are some of the effects of overwork and neglect on the body that were discussed in class?
Essay Topic 3
In the first several chapters of the text, Linda describes several of Dr. Flint's unwanted advances and she explains that she longs to remain pure and virtuous. In later chapters, Linda is still trying to avoid Dr. Flint's advances. Using examples from the text, explain why Dr. Flint's sexual advances eventually produce a change in Linda, causing her to go from protecting herself to protecting her children.
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)