|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Linda's new employer from?
2. What is the name of the escaped slave that Linda runs into on the streets of New York, that is also from her hometown?
3. In what part of New York does Linda meet up with Ellen?
4. Where does Linda leave Ellen when she travels to England?
5. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the hardships Aunt Nancy has to endure while being a slave in the Flint household?
2. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
3. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
4. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
5. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
6. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
7. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
8. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
9. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
10. While walking on the street, Linda runs into an old friend from her hometown. His name is Luke and he's had a particularly hard life as a slave. What are some of the hardships Luke has to endure?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Underground Railroad was an important infrastructure during Linda's era and during slavery in general. Although it was not mentioned specifically in the text, it did play an important role in Linda's escape. Citing examples from class discussions and research, describe the Underground Railroad and the importance of it during the slavery era. Determine how Linda used the Underground Railroad.
Essay Topic 2
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
Essay Topic 3
In the text, Linda describes the atrocities of slave life. Using examples from the text, describe how slavery tore apart families and gave the slaves very little control over the people they loved and cared for.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)