|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
2. Why does Linda feel that Aunt Nancy is 'slowly murdered'?
3. How does Linda escape from the South?
4. How many days does Linda's journey take to reach her first destination?
5. When Linda has to go into hiding after The Fugitive Slave Law is enacted, whom does she take with her for protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
2. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
3. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
4. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
5. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
6. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
7. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
8. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
9. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
10. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the text, Linda describes the atrocities of slave life. Using examples from the text, describe how slavery tore apart families and gave the slaves very little control over the people they loved and cared for.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter One, Childhood, Ms. Brent describes the events of her childhood. Using the text to support your answer, why does the author feel that her childhood is an unusually happy one? Are there any incidents that could refute this claim?
Essay Topic 3
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)