|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the person in question 85 react to Mr. Sands' news?
2. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
3. What does Dr. Flint do with the item Linda sends to her grandmother?
4. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
5. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
2. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
3. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
4. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
5. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
6. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
7. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
8. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
9. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
10. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the Introduction and Appendix, friends of Harriet Jacobs wrote statements confirming that all the events in the story were true and accurate. Why does Jacobs need this affirmation? Why don't people of Jacobs' era believe that the text is an autobiography?
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Jacobs provides a sequence of events from her life. Using details from the text, supply 10-20 events from Jacobs' life in sequential order.
Essay Topic 3
In the Preface, Jacobs explains that she changed the names of the characters in the text. Explain Jacobs' reasoning for doing this using examples from the text. Why does Jacob's change the names? If this is a non-fiction text, why does Jacobs change her own name? Why do some characters have no names at all?
This section contains 816 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)