|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a muster?
2. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
3. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
4. What item does Linda send to Dr. Flint to confirm his beliefs?
5. Where does Dr. Flint travel while searching for Linda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
2. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
3. What joyous news does Betty deliver to Linda pertaining to Linda's children?
4. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
5. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
6. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
7. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
8. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
9. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
10. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Linda Brent chooses to run away from her Master/Mistress. Is this decision selfish? How does Jacobs' choice affect her family and her children? Is it fair to her children for Linda to hide from them for nearly seven years? Use details from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Linda is distraught when her Aunt Nancy suddenly dies. Linda claims that her Aunt Nancy was 'slowly murdered' from overwork and neglect. What are some of the effects of overwork and neglect on the body that were discussed in class?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the text, Linda paints a portrait of how Caucasian women were treated and how African-American women were treated by society, families, and slaveholders. Using examples from the text, show how each ethic group was repressed and compare/contrast how they were treated.
This section contains 1,554 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)