|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
2. Which of the following terms best describes good, kind slaveholders?
3. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
4. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
5. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
2. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
3. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
4. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
5. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
6. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
7. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
8. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
9. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
10. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Linda needed a strong support system in order to make it through her ordeal. Using examples from the text, describe Linda's support system. How is her support system different in the North versus the one she has in the South?
Essay Topic 2
Define irony and list 5-10 examples of irony from the text.
Essay Topic 3
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)