|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
2. Who does not remember Linda?
3. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
4. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
5. What does Dr. Flint do with the item Linda sends to her grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
2. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
3. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
4. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
5. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
6. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
7. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
8. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
9. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
10. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, the author introduces the reader to some of the trials of a slave. Pick either a cruel or kind slaveholder and then list some of the qualities of that master. Then describe some of the trials a slave might or might not face living with either a cruel or kind slaveholder.
Essay Topic 2
Linda is distraught when her Aunt Nancy suddenly dies. Linda claims that her Aunt Nancy was 'slowly murdered' from overwork and neglect. What are some of the effects of overwork and neglect on the body that were discussed in class?
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Jacobs provides a sequence of events from her life. Using details from the text, supply 10-20 events from Jacobs' life in sequential order.
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)