|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's alias used in the story?
2. How does the Flint family treat their slaves?
3. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
4. What is the main message behind Mr. Pike's sermons?
5. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
2. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
3. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
4. What joyous news does Betty deliver to Linda pertaining to Linda's children?
5. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
6. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
7. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
8. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
9. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
10. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, the author introduces the reader to some of the trials of a slave. Pick either a cruel or kind slaveholder and then list some of the qualities of that master. Then describe some of the trials a slave might or might not face living with either a cruel or kind slaveholder.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the story, Linda wanted to buy her freedom from the Flint family, but at the end Linda was upset when Mrs. Bruce bought Linda her freedom. What events in Linda's life cause her to change her opinion? Can human beings really belong to someone else?
Essay Topic 3
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
This section contains 782 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)