|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Linda call her new hiding spot?
2. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
3. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
4. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
5. Why doesn't Linda believe Dr. Flint's threats and promises?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
2. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
3. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
4. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
5. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
6. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
7. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
8. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
9. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
10. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one of his letters to Linda, Dr. Flint claims that he has never, nor would never go through any attempts to capture Linda and return her to slavery. Linda and the reader know otherwise. What are some of the attempts Dr. Flint uses to try and capture Linda? Why does Dr. Flint lie?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Linda paints a portrait of how Caucasian women were treated and how African-American women were treated by society, families, and slaveholders. Using examples from the text, show how each ethic group was repressed and compare/contrast how they were treated.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the text and discussion, list 10-20 ways that the slaveholders controlled their slaves.
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)