|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Linda and William remain connected?
2. Who informs Linda that her children have been sold?
3. Linda's second child reveals the identity of which character?
4. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
5. Why is Linda hiding in the swamps?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
2. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
3. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
4. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
5. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
6. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
7. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
8. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
9. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
10. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text and discussion, list 10-20 ways that the slaveholders controlled their slaves.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the text, Linda paints a portrait of how Caucasian women were treated and how African-American women were treated by society, families, and slaveholders. Using examples from the text, show how each ethic group was repressed and compare/contrast how they were treated.
Essay Topic 3
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)