|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's alias used in the story?
2. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
3. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
4. Where does Dr. Flint clearly believe Linda escapes to?
5. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
2. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
3. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
4. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
5. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
6. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
7. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
8. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
9. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
10. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the text, Linda paints a portrait of how Caucasian women were treated and how African-American women were treated by society, families, and slaveholders. Using examples from the text, show how each ethic group was repressed and compare/contrast how they were treated.
Essay Topic 2
In the Introduction and Appendix, friends of Harriet Jacobs wrote statements confirming that all the events in the story were true and accurate. Why does Jacobs need this affirmation? Why don't people of Jacobs' era believe that the text is an autobiography?
Essay Topic 3
Linda needed a strong support system in order to make it through her ordeal. Using examples from the text, describe Linda's support system. How is her support system different in the North versus the one she has in the South?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)