|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linda make for her children at Christmas?
2. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
3. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
4. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
5. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
2. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
3. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
4. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
5. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
6. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
7. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
8. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
9. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
10. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 9, the author introduces the reader to some of the trials of a slave. Pick either a cruel or kind slaveholder and then list some of the qualities of that master. Then describe some of the trials a slave might or might not face living with either a cruel or kind slaveholder.
Essay Topic 3
In one of his letters to Linda, Dr. Flint claims that he has never, nor would never go through any attempts to capture Linda and return her to slavery. Linda and the reader know otherwise. What are some of the attempts Dr. Flint uses to try and capture Linda? Why does Dr. Flint lie?
This section contains 1,589 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)