|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Mr. Sands feel about William's work ethic?
2. How often does the town usually have a muster?
3. What item does the young Mrs. Flint deny an old feeble slave?
4. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
5. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
2. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
3. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
4. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
5. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
6. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
7. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
8. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
9. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
10. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the text, Linda paints a portrait of how Caucasian women were treated and how African-American women were treated by society, families, and slaveholders. Using examples from the text, show how each ethic group was repressed and compare/contrast how they were treated.
Essay Topic 2
Linda needed a strong support system in order to make it through her ordeal. Using examples from the text, describe Linda's support system. How is her support system different in the North versus the one she has in the South?
Essay Topic 3
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
This section contains 877 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)