|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
2. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
3. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
4. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
5. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
2. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
3. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
4. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
5. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
6. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
7. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
8. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
9. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
10. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define irony and list 5-10 examples of irony from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Jacobs provides a sequence of events from her life. Using details from the text, supply 10-20 events from Jacobs' life in sequential order.
Essay Topic 3
In the Introduction and Appendix, friends of Harriet Jacobs wrote statements confirming that all the events in the story were true and accurate. Why does Jacobs need this affirmation? Why don't people of Jacobs' era believe that the text is an autobiography?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)