|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, Dr. Flint is still determined to have his way with Linda. What plan does he devise to remove Linda from the watchful eyes of those who love her?
2. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
3. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
4. Where does Dr. Flint travel while searching for Linda?
5. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
2. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
3. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
4. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
5. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
6. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
7. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
8. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
9. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
10. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first several chapters of the text, Linda describes several of Dr. Flint's unwanted advances and she explains that she longs to remain pure and virtuous. In later chapters, Linda is still trying to avoid Dr. Flint's advances. Using examples from the text, explain why Dr. Flint's sexual advances eventually produce a change in Linda, causing her to go from protecting herself to protecting her children.
Essay Topic 2
Linda needed a strong support system in order to make it through her ordeal. Using examples from the text, describe Linda's support system. How is her support system different in the North versus the one she has in the South?
Essay Topic 3
Throughout the text, Linda paints a portrait of how Caucasian women were treated and how African-American women were treated by society, families, and slaveholders. Using examples from the text, show how each ethic group was repressed and compare/contrast how they were treated.
This section contains 910 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)