|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How often does the town usually have a muster?
2. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
3. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
4. Which character is jealous of Linda?
5. What work does William perform for Dr. Flint?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
2. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
3. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
4. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
5. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
6. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
7. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
8. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
9. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
10. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme throughout the text was Linda's fear. She had several fears, such as avoiding Dr. Flint's sexual advances. What are some of Linda's other fears throughout her life?
Essay Topic 2
Linda needed a strong support system in order to make it through her ordeal. Using examples from the text, describe Linda's support system. How is her support system different in the North versus the one she has in the South?
Essay Topic 3
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)