|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name does Linda call her new hiding spot?
2. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
3. What tool does Linda use to make a hole in her hiding place?
4. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
5. What is a muster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
2. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
3. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
4. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
5. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
6. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
7. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
8. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
9. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
10. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A common theme in anti-slavery text is an uneducated slave outwitting an educated Master. In what ways is this theme represented in "Incidents in the Life of a Slave Girl"?
Essay Topic 2
Define irony and list 5-10 examples of irony from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In the story, Jacobs provides a sequence of events from her life. Using details from the text, supply 10-20 events from Jacobs' life in sequential order.
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)