|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
2. Where is Ellen sent to live?
3. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
4. What work does William perform for Dr. Flint?
5. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
2. What joyous news does Betty deliver to Linda pertaining to Linda's children?
3. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
4. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
5. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
6. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
7. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
8. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
9. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
10. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 9, the author introduces the reader to some of the trials of a slave. Pick either a cruel or kind slaveholder and then list some of the qualities of that master. Then describe some of the trials a slave might or might not face living with either a cruel or kind slaveholder.
Essay Topic 2
A common theme throughout the text was Linda's fear. She had several fears, such as avoiding Dr. Flint's sexual advances. What are some of Linda's other fears throughout her life?
Essay Topic 3
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)