Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
2. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
3. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
4. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
5. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
2. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
3. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
4. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
5. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
6. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
7. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
8. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
10. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
Essay Topic 1
In the text, Linda describes the atrocities of slave life. Using examples from the text, describe how slavery tore apart families and gave the slaves very little control over the people they loved and cared for.
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter One, Childhood, Ms. Brent describes the events of her childhood. Using the text to support your answer, why does the author feel that her childhood is an unusually happy one? Are there any incidents that could refute this claim?
Essay Topic 3
Linda needed a strong support system in order to make it through her ordeal. Using examples from the text, describe Linda's support system. How is her support system different in the North versus the one she has in the South?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)