|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main message behind Mr. Pike's sermons?
2. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
3. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
4. Why doesn't Linda believe Dr. Flint's threats and promises?
5. Where does Dr. Flint clearly believe Linda escapes to?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
2. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
3. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
4. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
5. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
6. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
7. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
8. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
9. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
10. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In one of his letters to Linda, Dr. Flint claims that he has never, nor would never go through any attempts to capture Linda and return her to slavery. Linda and the reader know otherwise. What are some of the attempts Dr. Flint uses to try and capture Linda? Why does Dr. Flint lie?
Essay Topic 2
The Underground Railroad was an important infrastructure during Linda's era and during slavery in general. Although it was not mentioned specifically in the text, it did play an important role in Linda's escape. Citing examples from class discussions and research, describe the Underground Railroad and the importance of it during the slavery era. Determine how Linda used the Underground Railroad.
Essay Topic 3
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)