|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
2. The sexual abuse of young female slaves is...?
3. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
4. What does William do when he is in Washington?
5. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
2. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
3. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
4. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
5. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
6. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
7. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
8. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
9. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
10. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the text and discussion, list 10-20 ways that the slaveholders controlled their slaves.
Essay Topic 2
In the story, Jacobs provides a sequence of events from her life. Using details from the text, supply 10-20 events from Jacobs' life in sequential order.
Essay Topic 3
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)