Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
2. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
3. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
4. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
5. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
2. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
3. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
4. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
5. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
6. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
7. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
8. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
10. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
Throughout the story, Linda wanted to buy her freedom from the Flint family, but at the end Linda was upset when Mrs. Bruce bought Linda her freedom. What events in Linda's life cause her to change her opinion? Can human beings really belong to someone else?
The Underground Railroad was an important infrastructure during Linda's era and during slavery in general. Although it was not mentioned specifically in the text, it did play an important role in Linda's escape. Citing examples from class discussions and research, describe the Underground Railroad and the importance of it during the slavery era. Determine how Linda used the Underground Railroad.
Using examples from the text and discussion, list 10-20 ways that the slaveholders controlled their slaves.
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)