|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Benny and Ellen believe in Santa Claus?
2. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
3. Where does Dr. Flint clearly believe Linda escapes to?
4. Which of the following terms best describes good, kind slaveholders?
5. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
2. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
3. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
4. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
5. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
6. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
7. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
8. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
9. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
10. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the first several chapters of the text, Linda describes several of Dr. Flint's unwanted advances and she explains that she longs to remain pure and virtuous. In later chapters, Linda is still trying to avoid Dr. Flint's advances. Using examples from the text, explain why Dr. Flint's sexual advances eventually produce a change in Linda, causing her to go from protecting herself to protecting her children.
Essay Topic 2
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
Essay Topic 3
Linda is distraught when her Aunt Nancy suddenly dies. Linda claims that her Aunt Nancy was 'slowly murdered' from overwork and neglect. What are some of the effects of overwork and neglect on the body that were discussed in class?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)