|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gender of Linda's second child?
2. Who does not remember Linda?
3. What tool does Linda use to make a hole in her hiding place?
4. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
5. What work does William perform for Dr. Flint?
Short Essay Questions
1. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
2. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
3. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
4. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
5. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
6. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
7. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
8. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
9. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
10. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the story, Linda wanted to buy her freedom from the Flint family, but at the end Linda was upset when Mrs. Bruce bought Linda her freedom. What events in Linda's life cause her to change her opinion? Can human beings really belong to someone else?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter One, Childhood, Ms. Brent describes the events of her childhood. Using the text to support your answer, why does the author feel that her childhood is an unusually happy one? Are there any incidents that could refute this claim?
Essay Topic 3
When Linda flees North she discovers that racial prejudice resides there as well as in the South. Define prejudice and describe how it affected Linda's life.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)