Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
2. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
3. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
4. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
5. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
2. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
3. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
4. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
5. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
6. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
7. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
8. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
10. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
Linda Brent chooses to run away from her Master/Mistress. Is this decision selfish? How does Jacobs' choice affect her family and her children? Is it fair to her children for Linda to hide from them for nearly seven years? Use details from the text to support your answer.
What are the positive and negative aspects of the church's roles in slavery?
In one of his letters to Linda, Dr. Flint claims that he has never, nor would never go through any attempts to capture Linda and return her to slavery. Linda and the reader know otherwise. What are some of the attempts Dr. Flint uses to try and capture Linda? Why does Dr. Flint lie?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)