|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ellen fare while Linda is in England?
(a) She had left Boston and returned South.
(b) She was doing well.
(c) She was with Linda and was doing the same.
(d) She was doing poorly.
2. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
(a) Mr. Sands'.
(b) Mr. Brett's.
(c) Dr. and Mrs. Flint's.
(d) Nobody's house.
3. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
(a) The other nursemaids thought she was rude.
(b) The other passengers complained.
(c) The family forbade her to sit with them.
(d) The tables were 'white only'.
4. How does Mrs. Bruce react to the news that Linda confesses to her?
(a) She is sympathetic and assists Linda into hiding.
(b) She is shocked, and shuns Linda and her family.
(c) She is mad and tells Dr. Flint where to find Linda.
(d) She doesn't care one way or another.
5. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
(a) She thought the remarks were rude.
(b) She knew the remarks weren't true.
(c) She knew the remarks were true.
(d) She thought the remarks were mean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Linda's escape route from the South taking her first?
2. Who is staying at the Hobbs' house when Linda goes to visit Ellen?
3. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
4. What honor is bestowed upon Uncle Phillip when he passes away?
5. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
2. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
3. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
4. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
5. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
6. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
7. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
8. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
9. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
10. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
This section contains 821 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)