|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(a) His cousin.
(b) Mary, his young daughter.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
2. Who complains about delivering meals to Linda?
(a) The other nursemaids.
(b) The white waiters.
(c) The servants.
(d) The other train passengers.
3. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
4. What is the name of the escaped slave that Linda runs into on the streets of New York, that is also from her hometown?
5. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The nursemaid community.
(b) The Irish community.
(c) The African-American community.
(d) The escaped slave community.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
2. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
3. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
4. Who is finally able to purchase Linda's freedom for her?
5. On what mode of transportation does Linda continue her journey to New York?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
2. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
3. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
4. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
5. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
6. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
7. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
8. What are some of the hardships Aunt Nancy has to endure while being a slave in the Flint household?
9. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
10. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)