|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
(a) That Linda was no longer a slave.
(b) That Benny and Ellen had been captured and sold.
(c) That she was 'cordially invited' to join them on their plantation in Virgina.
(d) That Aunt Marthy was returned to slavery.
2. Why is Linda concerned about finding employment in Chapter 33?
(a) She had no skills.
(b) She did not know how to read or write.
(c) She had no references.
(d) She had no living arrangements.
3. Where do William and Benny decide to move after Linda returns from England?
4. Left alone again, who does Linda go to work for after her return from England?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Post.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
5. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
(b) Dr. Flint.
(d) A local gossip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What worries Linda about the Flints/Dodges?
2. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
3. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
4. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
5. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
Short Essay Questions
1. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
2. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
3. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
4. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
5. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
6. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
7. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
8. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
9. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
10. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)