|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
(a) Linda awakes to the sounds of a mother crying in the streets.
(b) Linda awakes to the sounds of carriages in the street.
(c) Linda awakes to the sounds of singing in the streets.
(d) Linda awakes to the sounds of a fire and is shocked to see that no one else wakes to help out.
2. Who complains about delivering meals to Linda?
(a) The other train passengers.
(b) The other nursemaids.
(c) The white waiters.
(d) The servants.
3. What is the occupation of the character Linda meets soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) A senator.
(b) A plantation owner.
(c) A minister.
(d) A student.
4. While in Steventon, Linda witnesses severe poverty that she's never seen before. Although Linda feels sorry for these people, she also believes that they are lucky. Why does Linda feel this way?
(a) Linda knew that these people had more money than the slaves.
(b) Linda did not feel sorry for these people, and thought they deserved poverty.
(c) Linda knew that these people would eventually be sold into slavery.
(d) Linda knew that these poor people had the rights of the law to protect them.
5. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Linda escape from the South?
2. What is the name of the escaped slave that Linda runs into on the streets of New York, that is also from her hometown?
3. How does Mrs. Bruce react to the news that Linda confesses to her?
4. In what year is the appendix written?
5. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
2. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
3. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
4. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
5. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
6. While walking on the street, Linda runs into an old friend from her hometown. His name is Luke and he's had a particularly hard life as a slave. What are some of the hardships Luke has to endure?
7. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
8. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
9. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
10. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)