|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
(a) Both of her children.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
2. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
3. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
4. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
(a) She was unable to go outside.
(b) She was unable to provide nourishment for the child.
(c) She was unable to sew.
(d) She was unable to climb up and down the stairs.
5. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) Linda is not overwhelmed.
(b) Linda is sick and needs rest.
(c) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
(d) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
2. What honor is bestowed upon Uncle Phillip when he passes away?
3. How does Mrs. Bruce react to the news that Linda confesses to her?
4. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
5. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
2. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
3. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
4. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
5. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
6. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
7. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
8. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
9. While walking on the street, Linda runs into an old friend from her hometown. His name is Luke and he's had a particularly hard life as a slave. What are some of the hardships Luke has to endure?
10. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
This section contains 1,022 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)