|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the character in question #105 feel any pity for Linda when told about Linda's living conditions for the past several years?
(a) William did not pity Linda because he had much harder trials in slavery then she did.
(b) Fanny did not pity Linda because Fanny was upset to never have the opporunity to see her children again.
(c) Ellen did not pity Linda because she was mad at Linda for not telling her where she was hiding.
(d) Benny did not pity Linda because he was angry at his mother for hiding from him.
2. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
(a) He saved the money in his bank account from his wages earned as a slave.
(b) He killed his master and stole the money.
(c) He hid money into a pair of pants and then asked if he could have the pants when his master died.
(d) He hid the money in a tree.
3. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
(a) She wanted to make money.
(b) She wanted to back up Linda's claims.
(c) She wanted to refute what Linda said.
(d) He wanted to criticize the author.
4. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(a) Uncle Phillip.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
5. Who does Mr. Thorpe write a letter to, telling this person Linda's whereabouts?
(a) Mrs. Dobbs.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Jones.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
2. Left alone again, who does Linda go to work for after her return from England?
3. Where is Ellen send to finish her schooling?
4. What information does Linda tell Mrs. Bruce before she leaves the family?
5. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
2. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
3. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
4. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
5. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
6. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
7. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
8. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
9. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
10. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)