|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
(a) Ellen already knew the truth about her father.
(b) Ellen didn't care what her mother had to say.
(c) Ellen denied the claims her mother made.
(d) Ellen ran out of the house and never saw her mother again.
2. Left alone again, who does Linda go to work for after her return from England?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Post.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
3. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
(a) She didn't find anything out because Benny was with her on the trip to England.
(b) She found out that he was discriminated againist and took a job on a whaling ship.
(c) She found out that he returned South.
(d) She found out he had died.
4. Who does Mr. Thorpe write a letter to, telling this person Linda's whereabouts?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Mrs. Dobbs.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Jones.
5. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
(a) Both of her children.
(b) Mrs. Bruce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
2. What country is Linda's new employer from?
3. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
4. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
5. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
Short Essay Questions
1. While walking on the street, Linda runs into an old friend from her hometown. His name is Luke and he's had a particularly hard life as a slave. What are some of the hardships Luke has to endure?
2. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
3. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
4. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
5. What are some of the hardships Aunt Nancy has to endure while being a slave in the Flint household?
6. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
7. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
8. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
9. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
10. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
This section contains 906 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)