|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
(a) He saved the money in his bank account from his wages earned as a slave.
(b) He killed his master and stole the money.
(c) He hid money into a pair of pants and then asked if he could have the pants when his master died.
(d) He hid the money in a tree.
2. Where does Linda leave Benny when she travels to England?
(a) She took him with her.
(b) Sent him to live with his father in her hometown.
(c) To apprentice a trade.
(d) Left him to fend for himself.
3. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(a) Uncle Phillip.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
4. What information does Linda tell Mrs. Bruce before she leaves the family?
(a) The she stole money from them.
(b) That she was Ellen's mother.
(c) That Mr. Sands was her childrens' father.
(d) That she was a fugitive slave.
5. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
(a) That Aunt Marthy was returned to slavery.
(b) That she was 'cordially invited' to join them on their plantation in Virgina.
(c) That Benny and Ellen had been captured and sold.
(d) That Linda was no longer a slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
2. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
3. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
4. In what year is the appendix written?
5. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
2. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
3. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
4. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
5. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
6. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
7. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
8. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
9. While walking on the street, Linda runs into an old friend from her hometown. His name is Luke and he's had a particularly hard life as a slave. What are some of the hardships Luke has to endure?
10. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)