|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
2. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
(a) A homeless man Linda meets on the street.
(b) The ship's captain.
3. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
(a) A job as a seamstress.
(b) Linda did not secure a job.
(c) A job as a cook.
(d) A job as a nursemaid.
4. What is the name of the escaped slave that Linda runs into on the streets of New York, that is also from her hometown?
5. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
(a) Uncle Fred.
(b) Her grandmother.
(d) Her Uncle Phillip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
2. How does Ellen fare while Linda is in England?
3. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
4. Where does Linda leave Ellen when she travels to England?
5. What is the occupation of the character Linda meets soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
2. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
3. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
4. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
5. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
6. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
7. Using the text to support your answer, describe Benny's first reaction to the North.
8. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
9. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
10. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)