|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
2. After Linda's meeting with Ellen, whom does she begin looking for?
(a) Her son, Benny.
(b) Her uncle, Benjamin.
(c) Her brother, William.
(d) Her friend, Fanny.
3. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
(b) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
(c) Linda is sick and needs rest.
(d) Linda is not overwhelmed.
4. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
(b) The ship's captain.
(c) A homeless man Linda meets on the street.
5. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
(a) Mr. Brett's.
(b) Mr. Sands'.
(c) Dr. and Mrs. Flint's.
(d) Nobody's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
2. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
3. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
4. While in Steventon, Linda witnesses severe poverty that she's never seen before. Although Linda feels sorry for these people, she also believes that they are lucky. Why does Linda feel this way?
5. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
3. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
4. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
5. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
6. In Chapter 38, Linda returns to America to find that Benny has quit his apprenticeship and begun working on a whaling boat. What events cause Benny to leave?
7. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
8. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
9. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
10. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)