|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Linda receives the letter from the Flints, who comes to New York to look for her?
(a) Mrs. Flint.
(b) Emily Flint.
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
2. Who writes the appendix?
(a) Amy Post.
(b) Linda Brett.
(c) Harriet Jacobs.
(d) William Brett.
3. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mr. Sands.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
4. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
(a) It is a law that allowed escaped slaves to claim their freedom.
(b) It is a law that stated all slaves were now free.
(c) It is a law requiring Northerners to turn over slaves to their Southern owners.
(d) It is a law that stated all fugitive slaves were to be imprisoned immediately.
5. Why doesn't the character in question #105 feel any pity for Linda when told about Linda's living conditions for the past several years?
(a) Ellen did not pity Linda because she was mad at Linda for not telling her where she was hiding.
(b) Fanny did not pity Linda because Fanny was upset to never have the opporunity to see her children again.
(c) William did not pity Linda because he had much harder trials in slavery then she did.
(d) Benny did not pity Linda because he was angry at his mother for hiding from him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Linda no longer want to buy her freedom from the Flints/Dodges?
2. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
3. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
4. Who does Linda send for while hiding in a Northern city?
5. Where does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
2. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
3. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
4. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
5. Using the text to support your answer, describe Benny's first reaction to the North.
6. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
7. Between trips with the Bruces, Linda goes to visit Ellen. She meets Ellen on the street and Ellen informs her that Mr. Thorpe is now staying with the Hobbs'. Why is Linda afraid of Mr. Thorpe?
8. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
9. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
10. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)