|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Linda meet soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Ellen Brett.
(c) Reverend Durham.
(d) Mr. Sands.
2. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
3. Where is Ellen send to finish her schooling?
(a) A boarding school in England.
(b) A boarding school in Virgina.
(c) A boarding school in Boston.
(d) A boarding school in New York.
4. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
(a) Linda awakes to the sounds of singing in the streets.
(b) Linda awakes to the sounds of a mother crying in the streets.
(c) Linda awakes to the sounds of a fire and is shocked to see that no one else wakes to help out.
(d) Linda awakes to the sounds of carriages in the street.
5. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
(b) Mr. Thorpe.
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Dr. Flint.
Short Answer Questions
1. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
2. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
3. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
4. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
5. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
2. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
3. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
4. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
5. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
6. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
7. What are some of the hardships Aunt Nancy has to endure while being a slave in the Flint household?
8. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
9. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
10. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)