|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
(a) Her master, Dr. Flint.
(b) Her friend, Peter.
(c) Her brother, William.
(d) Her daughter, Ellen.
2. What country is Linda's new employer from?
3. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
(a) Ellen didn't care what her mother had to say.
(b) Ellen ran out of the house and never saw her mother again.
(c) Ellen already knew the truth about her father.
(d) Ellen denied the claims her mother made.
4. Which character dies while Linda is in hiding in Boston?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Aunt Nancy.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
5. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
(a) Linda awakes to the sounds of carriages in the street.
(b) Linda awakes to the sounds of a fire and is shocked to see that no one else wakes to help out.
(c) Linda awakes to the sounds of singing in the streets.
(d) Linda awakes to the sounds of a mother crying in the streets.
Short Answer Questions
1. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
2. What honor is bestowed upon Uncle Phillip when he passes away?
3. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
4. Where is Linda's escape route from the South taking her first?
5. What does Linda wish to tell Ellen before she departs for boarding school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
2. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
3. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
4. Why does Amy Post write the appendix for Linda?
5. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
6. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
7. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
8. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
9. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
10. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)