|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
(a) Nobody's house.
(b) Mr. Sands'.
(c) Dr. and Mrs. Flint's.
(d) Mr. Brett's.
2. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(a) Mary, his young daughter.
(b) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) His cousin.
3. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
(a) An anti-slavery reading room.
(b) A bakery.
(c) A sewing shoppe.
(d) An underground railroad escape route.
4. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
(a) Her master, Dr. Flint.
(b) Her friend, Peter.
(c) Her daughter, Ellen.
(d) Her brother, William.
5. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
(b) Linda is sick and needs rest.
(c) Linda is not overwhelmed.
(d) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What information does Linda tell Mrs. Bruce before she leaves the family?
2. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
3. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
4. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
5. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
Short Essay Questions
1. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
2. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
3. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
4. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
5. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
6. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
7. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
8. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
9. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
10. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)