|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
(a) Mr. Sands'.
(b) Nobody's house.
(c) Dr. and Mrs. Flint's.
(d) Mr. Brett's.
2. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
(a) The anti-slavery society.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The underground railroad society.
(d) The Red Cross.
3. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(a) Mrs. Flint.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
4. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
(a) He hid money into a pair of pants and then asked if he could have the pants when his master died.
(b) He killed his master and stole the money.
(c) He hid the money in a tree.
(d) He saved the money in his bank account from his wages earned as a slave.
5. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Mrs. Flint.
(c) Mr. Thorpe.
(d) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
2. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
3. Why is Linda concerned about finding employment in Chapter 33?
4. Where is Ellen send to finish her schooling?
5. Who is finally able to purchase Linda's freedom for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using the text to support your answer, describe Benny's first reaction to the North.
2. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
3. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
4. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
5. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
6. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
7. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
8. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
9. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
10. While walking on the street, Linda runs into an old friend from her hometown. His name is Luke and he's had a particularly hard life as a slave. What are some of the hardships Luke has to endure?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)