|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
(a) She found out that he returned South.
(b) She didn't find anything out because Benny was with her on the trip to England.
(c) She found out that he was discriminated againist and took a job on a whaling ship.
(d) She found out he had died.
2. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
3. Who does Linda send for while hiding in a Northern city?
(c) Uncle Phillip.
4. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
5. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
(a) Linda wanted freedom from her responsiblities as a mother.
(b) Linda did not allow her to go.
(c) Linda did not want to limit Ellen's opportunities in life.
(d) Linda wanted Ellen to have the best education possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
2. Who else also writes a brief paragraph in the appendix?
3. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
4. How is the author of the appendix related to the author of the story?
5. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
2. Describe in detail the similarities and differences between Steventon and slavery.
3. After avoiding Mr. Thorpe on several occasions, Mr. Thorpe insists that he and Linda meet. What does Mr. Thorpe tell Linda during this meeting?
4. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
5. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
6. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
7. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
8. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
9. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
10. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)