|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what mode of transportation does Linda continue her journey to New York?
(a) By carriage.
(b) By foot.
(c) By boat.
(d) By train.
2. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
(a) A homeless man Linda meets on the street.
(d) The ship's captain.
3. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
(a) To show what a valuable servant she was.
(b) To punish her even in death.
(c) To show Aunt Marthy that she was in control.
(d) To cause Linda's family hardship.
4. Who is staying at the Hobbs' house when Linda goes to visit Ellen?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
5. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The Irish community.
(b) The escaped slave community.
(c) The nursemaid community.
(d) The African-American community.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
2. Where do William and Benny decide to move after Linda returns from England?
3. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
4. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
5. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
2. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
3. Using details from the text, describe why Fanny does not pity Linda.
4. Why is Linda asked to accompany Mary Bruce on her trip to England?
5. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
6. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
7. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
8. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
9. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
10. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
This section contains 930 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)