|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried?
(a) Buried where most slaves are buried.
(b) Buried in a field.
(c) Buried under the house.
(d) Buried in the Flint family plot.
2. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
3. While in Steventon, Linda witnesses severe poverty that she's never seen before. Although Linda feels sorry for these people, she also believes that they are lucky. Why does Linda feel this way?
(a) Linda knew that these people would eventually be sold into slavery.
(b) Linda knew that these people had more money than the slaves.
(c) Linda knew that these poor people had the rights of the law to protect them.
(d) Linda did not feel sorry for these people, and thought they deserved poverty.
4. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Hobbs.
5. What does Linda wish to tell Ellen before she departs for boarding school?
(a) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Dr. Flint.
(b) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Aunt Marthy.
(c) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about her father.
(d) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Emily Dodge.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
2. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
3. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
4. How does Linda escape from the South?
5. Why does Linda feel that Aunt Nancy is 'slowly murdered'?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the reasons why Linda does not want to part from Ellen when Ellen has the opportunity to go to boarding school?
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
3. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
4. How does Linda's reaction to Dr. Flint's death differ from her grandmother's reaction?
5. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
6. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
7. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
8. Why does Linda take the job with Mr. and the new Mrs. Bruce?
9. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
10. Using the text to support your answer, describe Benny's first reaction to the North.
This section contains 933 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)