|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
(a) Linda did not secure a job.
(b) A job as a seamstress.
(c) A job as a nursemaid.
(d) A job as a cook.
2. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) Mrs. Hobbs.
3. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
(a) The family forbade her to sit with them.
(b) The tables were 'white only'.
(c) The other nursemaids thought she was rude.
(d) The other passengers complained.
4. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
(a) Mr. Thorpe.
(b) Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
5. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(b) His cousin.
(c) Mary, his young daughter.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
Short Answer Questions
1. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
2. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
3. How does Linda escape from the South?
4. Where is Ellen send to finish her schooling?
5. What city is the first stop on Linda's trip to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Amy Post write the appendix for Linda?
2. Why doesn't Mrs. Hobbs want to give Ellen to Linda?
3. Using the text to support your answer, describe Benny's first reaction to the North.
4. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
5. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
6. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
7. Using details from the text, describe the plan Peter has for Linda's escape.
8. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
9. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
10. To what lengths does Mrs. Bruce go to keep Linda employed?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)