Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
(a) Two slave hunters.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Uncle Phillip.
2. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
(a) Northerners do not move South to purchase slaves.
(b) They tend to treat them the same.
(c) They tend to treat them kinder.
(d) They tend to treat them harsher.
3. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
(a) A red ant.
(b) A mosquito.
(c) A dog.
(d) A coyote.
4. In Chapter 10, Dr. Flint is still determined to have his way with Linda. What plan does he devise to remove Linda from the watchful eyes of those who love her?
(a) Dr. Flint plans to forbid her from ever leaving his house.
(b) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he does not want Linda.
(c) Dr. Flint plans to build her a home several miles from town.
(d) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he could care less what others think of his relationship with Linda.
5. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
(a) His hands are tied because the children still belong to Dr. Flint's daughter.
(b) He is going to take the children and raise them as his own.
(c) He is going to sell the children into slavery.
(d) He does not believe his children are slaves and would never treat them as such.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Benjamin and Linda related?
2. Why doesn't Linda believe Dr. Flint's threats and promises?
3. Where is Ellen sent to live?
4. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
5. What character is arrested on charges of helping Linda escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
2. Why is Linda skeptical of Mrs. Bruce buying her from Emily Dodge?
3. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
4. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
5. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
6. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
7. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
8. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
9. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
10. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)