|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does not remember Linda?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
2. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(a) No one, because Linda's children are free.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
3. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
(a) Her grandmother's money.
(b) Her children.
(c) Her belongings.
(d) Her grandmother.
4. The sexual abuse of young female slaves is...?
(b) Never occurs.
(d) Not mentioned in the story.
5. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
(a) Benjamin's escape to the North.
(b) Linda's disappearance.
(c) Nat Turner's insurrection.
(d) The death of a slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
2. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
3. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
4. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
5. What is the main message behind Mr. Pike's sermons?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
2. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
3. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
4. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
5. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
6. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
7. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
8. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
9. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
10. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)