|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How often does the town usually have a muster?
(a) Once every five years.
(b) Twice each year.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once a year.
2. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
(a) Advertisements offering a reward for her capture.
(b) Posters of Linda's children.
(c) Posters of Linda being hung.
(d) Nothing was posted because Linda never disappeared.
3. What types of activities are common on Mr. Litch's plantation?
(a) Running, playing, and jumping.
(b) Kindness, love, and honor.
(c) Beatings, whippings, and murders.
(d) Parties, gambling, and drinking.
4. What does Linda convince her lover to do?
(a) She convinces him to become a slave.
(b) She convinces him to free her from slavery.
(c) She convinces him to kill himself.
(d) She convinces him to go North and seek his fortune.
5. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
(a) Mr. Flint.
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) Mr. Jones.
(d) Mr. Lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
2. How does the person in question 85 react to Mr. Sands' news?
3. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
4. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
5. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
2. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
3. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
4. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
5. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
6. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
7. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
8. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
9. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
10. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)