|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
(a) Twenty miles.
(b) Six miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) One mile.
2. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
(a) He told Linda that he would tell his wife that Linda's children were his.
(b) He told Linda that he would tell who the father of her children were.
(c) He told Linda he would give her her freeedom if she let him have what he wanted.
(d) He told her that he couldn't wait to sell her children for large sums of money.
3. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
(a) The Flints.
(b) A kind slaveholder man in town.
(c) A kind slaveholder woman in town.
(d) Mr. Sands.
4. Which character is jealous of Linda?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
5. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(d) No one, because Linda's children are free.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
2. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
3. What is the author's alias used in the story?
4. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
5. Where does Dr. Flint travel while searching for Linda?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
2. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
3. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
4. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
5. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
6. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
7. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
8. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
9. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
10. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)