|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Linda when she reaches the age of 15?
(a) Dr. Flint allows Linda her freedom.
(b) Dr. Flint begins making advances toward her.
(c) Linda becomes pregnant.
(d) Linda escapes from slavery.
2. What name does Linda call her new hiding spot?
(a) Her den.
(b) Her bedroom.
(c) Her library.
(d) Her hole.
3. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Bearing children out of wedlock.
(c) Escaping to the North.
(d) Lying to her slaveholder.
4. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that it is bliss.
(b) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
(c) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(d) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
5. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
(a) They feel nothing.
(b) They feel saddened.
(c) They feel happy.
(d) They feel anger.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
2. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
3. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
4. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
5. What does Dr. Flint do with the item Linda sends to her grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
2. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
3. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
4. Using details from the text, describe how Linda's attitude evolves towards buying herself.
5. Describe in detail Linda's first meeting with Ellen in New York.
6. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
7. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
8. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
9. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
10. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)