|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Benny and Ellen believe in Santa Claus?
(a) They received many gifts even though their mother 'was far away'.
(b) They wanted to tease the other children.
(c) They didn't still believe in Santa Claus.
(d) They needed something hopeful in their lives.
2. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
(a) To his doctor offices.
(b) To the plantation.
(c) To work for Mr. Litch.
(d) Up North to work for a friend.
3. How are Aunt Marthy and Linda related?
(a) Aunt Marthy is Linda's mother.
(b) Aunt Marthy is Linda's aunt.
(c) Aunt Marthy is not related to Linda.
(d) Aunt Marthy is Linda's grandmother.
4. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A dog.
(c) A red ant.
(d) A coyote.
5. What work does William perform for Dr. Flint?
(a) William does not work for Dr. Flint.
(b) William is Dr. Flint's medical assistant.
(c) William is Dr. Flint's field foreman.
(d) William works in the fields on Dr. Flint's plantation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
2. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
3. What item does Linda send to Dr. Flint to confirm his beliefs?
4. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
5. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
2. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
3. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
4. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
5. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
6. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
7. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
8. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
9. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
10. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)