|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Linda fall in love with?
(c) A free black man in her town.
(d) Dr. Flint.
2. In Chapter 10, Dr. Flint is still determined to have his way with Linda. What plan does he devise to remove Linda from the watchful eyes of those who love her?
(a) Dr. Flint plans to forbid her from ever leaving his house.
(b) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he does not want Linda.
(c) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he could care less what others think of his relationship with Linda.
(d) Dr. Flint plans to build her a home several miles from town.
3. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
(a) Twenty miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Six miles.
(d) Ten miles.
4. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
(a) December 25th.
(b) February 21st.
(c) January 15th.
(d) January 1st.
5. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
(d) Aunt Marthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for writing this book?
2. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
3. How do Linda and William remain connected?
4. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
5. What types of activities are common on Mr. Litch's plantation?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Aunt Nancy's untimely death, how does Mrs. Flint react?
2. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
3. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
4. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
5. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
6. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
7. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
8. Why does Linda distrust the boat captain?
9. Why is the brief letter written by George Lowther included in the appendix? How does it differ from Mrs. Post's and Mrs. Child's statements?
10. Using the text to support your answer, describe some of the ways Linda is discriminated against in Chapter 35 when she goes on vacation with the Bruces.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)