|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
(b) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(c) They are told that it is bliss.
(d) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
2. How do Linda and William remain connected?
(a) They do not remain connected.
(b) They remain connected through daily contact.
(c) They remain connected through their children.
(d) They remain connected through letters.
3. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
(a) Her adulthood.
(b) Her childhood.
(c) Her tweens.
(d) Her adolesence.
4. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
(a) To be his assistant.
(b) To find Linda's children.
(c) To find Linda.
(d) To escape from slavery.
5. What does Linda's lover propose to do for her?
(a) He proposes to marry her and wishes to buy her.
(b) He proposes to sell her to another slaveholder.
(c) He proposes to move into Aunt Marthy's.
(d) He proposes to escape slavery with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
2. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
3. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
4. The sexual abuse of young female slaves is...?
5. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
2. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
3. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
4. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
5. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
6. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
7. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
8. What joyous news does Betty deliver to Linda pertaining to Linda's children?
9. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
10. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
This section contains 845 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)