|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Benny and Ellen believe in Santa Claus?
(a) They received many gifts even though their mother 'was far away'.
(b) They didn't still believe in Santa Claus.
(c) They needed something hopeful in their lives.
(d) They wanted to tease the other children.
2. What name does Linda call her new hiding spot?
(a) Her hole.
(b) Her bedroom.
(c) Her library.
(d) Her den.
3. How often does the town usually have a muster?
(a) Twice each year.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once every five years.
(d) Once a year.
4. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
(a) She was hiding from the Bretts in some bushes.
(b) She was hiding from the Flints in some bushes.
(c) She was hiding from the Flints in an attic.
(d) She was hiding from the Flints in a small room.
5. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
(a) He is going to take the children and raise them as his own.
(b) His hands are tied because the children still belong to Dr. Flint's daughter.
(c) He does not believe his children are slaves and would never treat them as such.
(d) He is going to sell the children into slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
2. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
3. What is the author's purpose for writing this book?
4. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
5. What is the gender of Linda's second child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
2. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
3. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
4. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
5. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
6. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
7. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
8. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
9. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
10. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)