|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
(a) Nothing was posted because Linda never disappeared.
(b) Posters of Linda's children.
(c) Posters of Linda being hung.
(d) Advertisements offering a reward for her capture.
2. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Uncle Phillip.
(d) Two slave hunters.
3. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
(a) Escaping to the North.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Bearing children out of wedlock.
(d) Lying to her slaveholder.
4. Who does Linda fall in love with?
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) A free black man in her town.
5. Who must Linda wait for to help her return to her den after she meets Mr. Sands?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Uncle Phillip.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
2. Where is Ellen sent to live?
3. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
4. What work does William perform for Dr. Flint?
5. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
2. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
3. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
4. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
5. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
6. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
7. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
8. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
9. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
10. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)