|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the biracial children of slaveholders treated?
(a) They live with their fathers.
(b) The slaveholders did not father any illegitimate children.
(c) They are treated the same as any other slave.
(d) They stay with their mothers, but are granted freedom.
2. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
(d) Aunt Marthy.
3. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
(a) A mosquito.
(b) A red ant.
(c) A dog.
(d) A coyote.
4. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
(a) Mr. Lover.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mr. Flint.
(d) Mr. Sands.
5. Who does not remember Linda?
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
2. Where does Dr. Flint clearly believe Linda escapes to?
3. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
4. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
5. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
2. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
3. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
4. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
5. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
6. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
7. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
8. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
9. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
10. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)