|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Linda send to Dr. Flint to confirm his beliefs?
(a) A letter.
(b) A telegram.
(c) A rose.
(d) Linda does not send anything to Dr. Flint.
2. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
(c) Aunt Marthy.
3. Who becomes very ill in jail and goes to live with the Flints?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
4. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
(a) His hands are tied because the children still belong to Dr. Flint's daughter.
(b) He is going to take the children and raise them as his own.
(c) He is going to sell the children into slavery.
(d) He does not believe his children are slaves and would never treat them as such.
5. What does Linda make for her children at Christmas?
(a) She draws them pictures of the North.
(b) She sews clothes and toys.
(c) She does not make them anything.
(d) She makes them cakes and cookies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
2. What does William do when he is in Washington?
3. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
4. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
5. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
2. What joyous news does Betty deliver to Linda pertaining to Linda's children?
3. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
4. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
5. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
6. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
7. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
8. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
9. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
10. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
This section contains 766 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)