|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What types of activities are common on Mr. Litch's plantation?
(a) Running, playing, and jumping.
(b) Beatings, whippings, and murders.
(c) Parties, gambling, and drinking.
(d) Kindness, love, and honor.
2. Who does Linda fall in love with?
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) A free black man in her town.
3. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
(a) To the plantation.
(b) Up North to work for a friend.
(c) To work for Mr. Litch.
(d) To his doctor offices.
4. What is a muster?
(a) When a slave marries a free person.
(b) When the white folks raid the homes of the slaves and free black people.
(c) When a slave escapes to the North.
(d) When a slaveholder beats a slave.
5. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Harriet Jacobs.
(c) William Brent.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
2. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
3. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
4. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
5. Who becomes very ill in jail and goes to live with the Flints?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
2. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
3. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
4. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
5. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
6. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
7. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
8. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
9. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
10. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)