|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
(a) She informs him that she is running away.
(b) She informs him that she is free.
(c) She informs him that he is the father of her children.
(d) She informs him that she is pregnant.
2. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
(a) He told Linda he would give her her freeedom if she let him have what he wanted.
(b) He told Linda that he would tell his wife that Linda's children were his.
(c) He told Linda that he would tell who the father of her children were.
(d) He told her that he couldn't wait to sell her children for large sums of money.
3. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(b) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
(c) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(d) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
4. What is a muster?
(a) When a slave marries a free person.
(b) When a slave escapes to the North.
(c) When the white folks raid the homes of the slaves and free black people.
(d) When a slaveholder beats a slave.
5. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
(a) Bearing children out of wedlock.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Lying to her slaveholder.
(d) Escaping to the North.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following terms best describes good, kind slaveholders?
2. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
3. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
4. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
5. Linda's second child reveals the identity of which character?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
2. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
3. Providing detail from the text, describe Ellen's thoughts about her father.
4. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
5. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
6. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
7. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
8. Describe in detail the letter that Emily Flint sends to Linda.
9. How does the plan for Linda's escape change twice?
10. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)