|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
(a) February 21st.
(b) December 25th.
(c) January 15th.
(d) January 1st.
2. What does Linda make for her children at Christmas?
(a) She makes them cakes and cookies.
(b) She does not make them anything.
(c) She sews clothes and toys.
(d) She draws them pictures of the North.
3. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
(b) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(c) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(d) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
4. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Harriet Jacobs.
(d) William Brent.
5. Why is Linda hiding in the swamps?
(a) Linda enjoys the swamps.
(b) Linda's hider kicks her out and she had no other place to go.
(c) The Flints find Linda and she flees to the swamps.
(d) She is waiting for a new secure hiding place.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
2. How does the Flint family treat their slaves?
3. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
4. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
5. What does Linda's lover propose to do for her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
2. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
3. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
4. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
5. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
6. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
7. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
8. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
9. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
10. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)