|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
(a) It tears families apart.
(b) It takes away their property.
(c) It forces the slaves to choose their owners.
(d) It forces people to marry.
2. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
(a) To find Linda's children.
(b) To escape from slavery.
(c) To find Linda.
(d) To be his assistant.
3. Mr. Sands considers William to be a coworker and a what?
4. Why does Linda never go hungry?
(a) Linda's grandmother provides her with extra food.
(b) Linda is not a slave and is able to provide her own food.
(c) Linda is a cook and steals food.
(d) Linda is her slaveholder's favorite.
5. Why is Linda hiding in the swamps?
(a) She is waiting for a new secure hiding place.
(b) The Flints find Linda and she flees to the swamps.
(c) Linda's hider kicks her out and she had no other place to go.
(d) Linda enjoys the swamps.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Benjamin and Linda related?
2. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
3. Who informs Linda that her children have been sold?
4. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
5. Who does not remember Linda?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
2. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
3. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
4. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
5. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
6. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
7. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
8. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
9. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
10. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)