|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the gender of Linda's second child?
(a) She has a boy.
(b) She does not have a second child.
(c) She has twins.
(d) She has a girl.
2. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
(c) Aunt Marthy.
3. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
(a) January 15th.
(b) December 25th.
(c) February 21st.
(d) January 1st.
4. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) His new wife.
(d) Dr. Flint.
5. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
(a) Her new bible.
(b) Her new shoes.
(c) Her new bike.
(d) Her new shirt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
2. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
3. How does the person in question 85 react to Mr. Sands' news?
4. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
5. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
2. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
3. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
4. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
5. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
6. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
7. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
8. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
9. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
10. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)