|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the author's alias used in the story?
(a) Harriet Jacobs.
(b) Aunt Nancy.
(c) Aunt Marty.
(d) Linda Brent.
2. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) Her uncle.
3. What is a muster?
(a) When a slave escapes to the North.
(b) When the white folks raid the homes of the slaves and free black people.
(c) When a slaveholder beats a slave.
(d) When a slave marries a free person.
4. What types of activities are common on Mr. Litch's plantation?
(a) Kindness, love, and honor.
(b) Running, playing, and jumping.
(c) Beatings, whippings, and murders.
(d) Parties, gambling, and drinking.
5. What is the main message behind Mr. Pike's sermons?
(a) To teach the slaves to read.
(b) To teach the slaves how to pray.
(c) To teach the slaves how to escape North.
(d) To teach the slaves to obey their masters.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
2. What does Linda's lover propose to do for her?
3. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
4. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
5. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
2. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
3. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
4. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
5. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
6. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
7. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
8. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
9. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
10. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)