|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
(b) Uncle Phillip.
(c) Two slave hunters.
(d) Dr. Flint.
2. What does Linda's lover propose to do for her?
(a) He proposes to sell her to another slaveholder.
(b) He proposes to marry her and wishes to buy her.
(c) He proposes to escape slavery with her.
(d) He proposes to move into Aunt Marthy's.
3. What is the author's alias used in the story?
(a) Harriet Jacobs.
(b) Aunt Marty.
(c) Aunt Nancy.
(d) Linda Brent.
4. How often does the town usually have a muster?
(a) Once a year.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Once every five years.
(d) Twice each year.
5. What does William do when he is in Washington?
(a) He escapes from slavery.
(b) He kills Mr. Sands.
(c) He helps Linda escape from slavery.
(d) Nothing. William does not go to Washington.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
2. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
3. Where is Ellen sent to live?
4. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
5. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
2. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
3. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
4. What joyous news does Betty deliver to Linda pertaining to Linda's children?
5. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
6. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
7. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
8. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
9. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
10. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)