|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
(a) It forces people to marry.
(b) It takes away their property.
(c) It forces the slaves to choose their owners.
(d) It tears families apart.
2. Who does Linda fall in love with?
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) A free black man in her town.
3. How do Linda and William remain connected?
(a) They remain connected through letters.
(b) They remain connected through daily contact.
(c) They do not remain connected.
(d) They remain connected through their children.
4. What character is arrested on charges of helping Linda escape?
(c) Uncle Phillip.
(d) Mr. Sands.
5. Why is Linda hiding in the swamps?
(a) Linda enjoys the swamps.
(b) She is waiting for a new secure hiding place.
(c) The Flints find Linda and she flees to the swamps.
(d) Linda's hider kicks her out and she had no other place to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
2. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
3. Why do Benny and Ellen believe in Santa Claus?
4. Where does Dr. Flint travel while searching for Linda?
5. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
2. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
3. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
4. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
5. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
6. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
7. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
8. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
9. Describe in detail how Linda is bitten by a venomous snake.
10. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)