|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
(a) The Flints.
(b) A kind slaveholder woman in town.
(c) A kind slaveholder man in town.
(d) Mr. Sands.
2. Where is Ellen sent to live?
(a) To live with Dr. Flint.
(b) She is not sent to live anywhere.
(c) To live with Mr. Sands' relatives in New York.
(d) To live with Mr. Sands.
3. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
(a) Harriet Jacobs.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) William Brent.
(d) Dr. Flint.
4. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
(a) Her belongings.
(b) Her grandmother's money.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her grandmother.
5. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
(a) So they can truthfully say they have no idea where she is.
(b) So they cannot turn her in to The Flint family.
(c) Linda never hid, so she had no reason to tell them anything.
(d) To protect her children.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
2. What is a muster?
3. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
4. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
5. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
2. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
3. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
4. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
5. What joyous news does Betty deliver to Linda pertaining to Linda's children?
6. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
7. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
8. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
9. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
10. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)