|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
(a) Lying to her slaveholder.
(b) Having an affair.
(c) Escaping to the North.
(d) Bearing children out of wedlock.
2. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
(a) Mr. Flint.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mr. Sands.
(d) Mr. Lover.
3. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
(a) His hands are tied because the children still belong to Dr. Flint's daughter.
(b) He is going to take the children and raise them as his own.
(c) He does not believe his children are slaves and would never treat them as such.
(d) He is going to sell the children into slavery.
4. In Chapter 10, Dr. Flint is still determined to have his way with Linda. What plan does he devise to remove Linda from the watchful eyes of those who love her?
(a) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he could care less what others think of his relationship with Linda.
(b) Dr. Flint plans to build her a home several miles from town.
(c) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he does not want Linda.
(d) Dr. Flint plans to forbid her from ever leaving his house.
5. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who must Linda wait for to help her return to her den after she meets Mr. Sands?
2. What event happens to Linda during her second winter in her den?
3. How does Mr. Sands feel about William's work ethic?
4. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
5. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
2. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
3. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
4. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
5. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
6. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
7. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
8. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
9. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
10. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
This section contains 927 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)