|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
(a) Advertisements offering a reward for her capture.
(b) Posters of Linda's children.
(c) Nothing was posted because Linda never disappeared.
(d) Posters of Linda being hung.
2. What is the gender of Linda's second child?
(a) She does not have a second child.
(b) She has a girl.
(c) She has twins.
(d) She has a boy.
3. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
(a) A dog.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A red ant.
(d) A mosquito.
4. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
5. Mr. Sands considers William to be a coworker and a what?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
2. What does Linda make for her children at Christmas?
3. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
4. What tool does Linda use to make a hole in her hiding place?
5. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
2. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
3. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
4. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
5. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
6. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
7. In Chapter 20, how does Dr. Flint react when he discovers Linda's children living happily in town with their great-grandmother?
8. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
9. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
10. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)