|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(b) They are told that it is bliss.
(c) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
(d) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
2. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
(a) Jane Hoffman.
(b) Mrs. Flint.
(c) Benjamin Brett.
(d) Linda Brett.
3. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
(a) They feel anger.
(b) They feel saddened.
(c) They feel nothing.
(d) They feel happy.
4. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
(a) He does not believe his children are slaves and would never treat them as such.
(b) He is going to sell the children into slavery.
(c) His hands are tied because the children still belong to Dr. Flint's daughter.
(d) He is going to take the children and raise them as his own.
5. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
(a) Her new bible.
(b) Her new bike.
(c) Her new shirt.
(d) Her new shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
2. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
3. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
4. Mr. Sands considers William to be a coworker and a what?
5. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
2. Describe the events that happen during a muster.
3. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
4. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
5. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
6. What joyous news does Betty deliver to Linda pertaining to Linda's children?
7. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
8. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
9. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
10. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
This section contains 976 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)