|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
(a) To flee to another state.
(b) To be beaten by her master.
(c) To be returned to slavery.
2. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
(a) A red ant.
(b) A coyote.
(c) A mosquito.
(d) A dog.
3. How are Aunt Marthy and Linda related?
(a) Aunt Marthy is Linda's aunt.
(b) Aunt Marthy is not related to Linda.
(c) Aunt Marthy is Linda's grandmother.
(d) Aunt Marthy is Linda's mother.
4. What does Linda convince her lover to do?
(a) She convinces him to free her from slavery.
(b) She convinces him to kill himself.
(c) She convinces him to go North and seek his fortune.
(d) She convinces him to become a slave.
5. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) Uncle Fred.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tool does Linda use to make a hole in her hiding place?
2. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
3. What does William do when he is in Washington?
4. For what political party does Mr. Sands run for office?
5. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
2. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
3. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
4. How do Linda's motivations toward warding off Dr. Flint's advances change after she has children?
5. Describe Mr. Sands' feelings toward William.
6. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
7. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
8. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
9. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
10. Describe in detail the area that Linda hides in at her Aunt Marthy's house.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)