|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the person in question 85 react to Mr. Sands' news?
(a) He wants to sell the children into slavery.
(b) She wants to raise Benny as her own.
(c) She wants to sell the children into slavery.
(d) He wants to raise the children as his own.
2. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
(a) They tend to treat them harsher.
(b) They tend to treat them the same.
(c) They tend to treat them kinder.
(d) Northerners do not move South to purchase slaves.
3. Who does not remember Linda?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Mr. Sands.
4. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
(a) They feel happy.
(b) They feel nothing.
(c) They feel anger.
(d) They feel saddened.
5. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
(a) Jane Hoffman.
(b) Benjamin Brett.
(c) Linda Brett.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's alias used in the story?
2. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
3. How do Linda and William remain connected?
4. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
5. Who informs Linda that her children have been sold?
Short Essay Questions
1. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
2. Why does Linda want it to appear that she fled to the Northern states?
3. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
4. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
5. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
6. Describe in detail who comes to tend to Aunt Marthy when she is very ill.
7. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
8. How does Benny justify that there must be a Santa Claus when another child tells him that Santa is fake?
9. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
10. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
This section contains 818 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)