|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Linda make for her children at Christmas?
(a) She makes them cakes and cookies.
(b) She draws them pictures of the North.
(c) She does not make them anything.
(d) She sews clothes and toys.
2. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
(a) To help Linda escape slavery.
(b) To take care of his children the best he could.
(c) Not to beat Linda when he found out she was pregnant.
(d) To marry Linda.
3. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
(a) To flee to another state.
(c) To be beaten by her master.
(d) To be returned to slavery.
4. Who does Linda fall in love with?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(c) A free black man in her town.
5. What is the main message behind Mr. Pike's sermons?
(a) To teach the slaves to read.
(b) To teach the slaves to obey their masters.
(c) To teach the slaves how to pray.
(d) To teach the slaves how to escape North.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event happens to Linda during her second winter in her den?
2. What item does the young Mrs. Flint deny an old feeble slave?
3. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
4. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
5. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
2. Once arriving in Philadelphia, Linda has to face the reality that being free in the North still has its downside. What incidents cause Linda to accept this truth?
3. How does Linda try to reinforce Dr. Flint's belief that she has escaped to the Northern states?
4. Describe William's feelings toward Mr. Sands.
5. Why is Linda ashamed to have her children baptized in the church?
6. Using details from the story to support your answer, describe why Linda awoke when she heard the fire alarms going off.
7. Describe how Mrs. Bruce reacts when she finds out that Linda is a fugitive slave.
8. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
9. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
10. What conditions force Linda to remain separated from her children?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)