|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
(a) So they cannot turn her in to The Flint family.
(b) So they can truthfully say they have no idea where she is.
(c) Linda never hid, so she had no reason to tell them anything.
(d) To protect her children.
2. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
(a) Posters of Linda being hung.
(b) Nothing was posted because Linda never disappeared.
(c) Posters of Linda's children.
(d) Advertisements offering a reward for her capture.
3. What does William do when he is in Washington?
(a) He kills Mr. Sands.
(b) He helps Linda escape from slavery.
(c) Nothing. William does not go to Washington.
(d) He escapes from slavery.
4. What happens to Linda when she reaches the age of 15?
(a) Linda becomes pregnant.
(b) Dr. Flint begins making advances toward her.
(c) Linda escapes from slavery.
(d) Dr. Flint allows Linda her freedom.
5. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
Short Answer Questions
1. How are Benjamin and Linda related?
2. Who must Linda wait for to help her return to her den after she meets Mr. Sands?
3. What types of activities are common on Mr. Litch's plantation?
4. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
5. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the instances that occur on Mr. Litch's plantation.
2. How does Mrs. Sands react when she finds out the relationship between Mr. Sands and Benny and Ellen?
3. How do the Flints and Aunt Marthy react to Linda's news that she is pregnant?
4. Linda meets with Mr. Sands before he heads off to Washington, D.C. Describe the conversation that occurs between Linda and Mr. Sands during this meeting.
5. Why is Linda sent to work on the young Mr. Flint's plantation?
6. Why is Linda pained to know that her child is Dr. Flint's slave?
7. Explain why the pastor at the Episcopal Church is popular among slaves, but not popular among the slaveholders.
8. Describe Linda's reaction when she finds out that Mr. Sands has married.
9. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
10. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)