|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who writes the appendix?
(a) Harriet Jacobs.
(b) Amy Post.
(c) William Brett.
(d) Linda Brett.
2. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The escaped slave community.
(b) The nursemaid community.
(c) The Irish community.
(d) The African-American community.
3. Where does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried?
(a) Buried in a field.
(b) Buried in the Flint family plot.
(c) Buried under the house.
(d) Buried where most slaves are buried.
4. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(c) No One.
5. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 5 years.
6. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
(a) She found out that he returned South.
(b) She found out he had died.
(c) She found out that he was discriminated againist and took a job on a whaling ship.
(d) She didn't find anything out because Benny was with her on the trip to England.
7. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
8. While in Steventon, Linda witnesses severe poverty that she's never seen before. Although Linda feels sorry for these people, she also believes that they are lucky. Why does Linda feel this way?
(a) Linda knew that these people had more money than the slaves.
(b) Linda knew that these poor people had the rights of the law to protect them.
(c) Linda did not feel sorry for these people, and thought they deserved poverty.
(d) Linda knew that these people would eventually be sold into slavery.
9. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
(a) They met through Aunt Marthy.
(b) They met through William.
(c) They met through Benny.
(d) They met through Ellen.
10. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
(a) A job as a seamstress.
(b) Linda did not secure a job.
(c) A job as a nursemaid.
(d) A job as a cook.
11. Left alone again, who does Linda go to work for after her return from England?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Post.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
12. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
(a) Linda did not allow her to go.
(b) Linda wanted freedom from her responsiblities as a mother.
(c) Linda did not want to limit Ellen's opportunities in life.
(d) Linda wanted Ellen to have the best education possible.
13. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
(a) The tables were 'white only'.
(b) The family forbade her to sit with them.
(c) The other nursemaids thought she was rude.
(d) The other passengers complained.
14. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Uncle Phillip.
15. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
(a) Her grandmother.
(c) Her Uncle Phillip.
(d) Uncle Fred.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
2. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
3. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
4. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
5. Why is Linda unable to trust the captain in charge of her escape?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)