|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
(a) She was unable to sew.
(b) She was unable to climb up and down the stairs.
(c) She was unable to provide nourishment for the child.
(d) She was unable to go outside.
2. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
(a) In her room.
(b) In the 'Jim Crowe' cars.
(c) Linda stopped eating.
3. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
(a) The family forbade her to sit with them.
(b) The tables were 'white only'.
(c) The other nursemaids thought she was rude.
(d) The other passengers complained.
4. Who does Linda meet soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) Reverend Durham.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Ellen Brett.
(d) Mr. Sands.
5. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
(a) Linda did not secure a job.
(b) A job as a nursemaid.
(c) A job as a seamstress.
(d) A job as a cook.
6. How many days does Linda's journey take to reach her first destination?
(a) 48 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 2 days.
(d) 10 days.
7. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
8. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) Linda is sick and needs rest.
(b) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
(c) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
(d) Linda is not overwhelmed.
9. After Linda receives the letter from the Flints, who comes to New York to look for her?
(a) Mrs. Flint.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) Emily Flint.
10. What horrific truth does Linda learn about Ellen's situation with the Hobbs'?
(a) Linda learned that Ellen was being raped by Mr. Hobbs.
(b) Linda learned that Ellen loved the Hobbs' more than her own mother.
(c) Linda learned that Ellen was still a slave.
(d) Linda learned that Ellen was being beaten.
11. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
(a) The anti-slavery society.
(b) The underground railroad society.
(c) The Red Cross.
(d) The Catholic Church.
12. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
(a) She thought the remarks were rude.
(b) She knew the remarks were true.
(c) She knew the remarks weren't true.
(d) She thought the remarks were mean.
13. Where do William and Benny decide to move after Linda returns from England?
14. What family ends up employing Linda?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Flint.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Durham.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
15. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
2. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
3. Why does Linda feel that Aunt Nancy is 'slowly murdered'?
4. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
5. What honor is bestowed upon Uncle Phillip when he passes away?
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)