|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Linda escape from the South?
(a) By carriage.
(b) By boat.
(c) By foot.
(d) By train.
2. Where is Linda's escape route from the South taking her first?
(a) New York.
(c) Washington D.C.
3. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(d) No One.
4. What information does Linda tell Mrs. Bruce before she leaves the family?
(a) That she was Ellen's mother.
(b) That Mr. Sands was her childrens' father.
(c) That she was a fugitive slave.
(d) The she stole money from them.
5. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) The Catholic Church.
(c) The anti-slavery society.
(d) The underground railroad society.
6. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
(a) The other passengers complained.
(b) The other nursemaids thought she was rude.
(c) The tables were 'white only'.
(d) The family forbade her to sit with them.
7. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
(a) In the 'Jim Crowe' cars.
(b) Linda stopped eating.
(c) In her room.
8. What country is Linda's new employer from?
9. Which character dies while Linda is in hiding in Boston?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Aunt Nancy.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
10. What does Linda wish to tell Ellen before she departs for boarding school?
(a) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Dr. Flint.
(b) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about her father.
(c) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Aunt Marthy.
(d) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Emily Dodge.
11. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
(a) To punish her even in death.
(b) To show Aunt Marthy that she was in control.
(c) To show what a valuable servant she was.
(d) To cause Linda's family hardship.
12. In what part of New York does Linda meet up with Ellen?
(b) Long Island.
13. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
(a) She was unable to sew.
(b) She was unable to go outside.
(c) She was unable to provide nourishment for the child.
(d) She was unable to climb up and down the stairs.
14. How does Ellen fare while Linda is in England?
(a) She had left Boston and returned South.
(b) She was doing well.
(c) She was doing poorly.
(d) She was with Linda and was doing the same.
15. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
2. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
3. Why doesn't the character in question #105 feel any pity for Linda when told about Linda's living conditions for the past several years?
4. What family ends up employing Linda?
5. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)