|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
(a) It is a law that stated all slaves were now free.
(b) It is a law that allowed escaped slaves to claim their freedom.
(c) It is a law requiring Northerners to turn over slaves to their Southern owners.
(d) It is a law that stated all fugitive slaves were to be imprisoned immediately.
2. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
(a) She wanted to make money.
(b) She wanted to refute what Linda said.
(c) She wanted to back up Linda's claims.
(d) He wanted to criticize the author.
3. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
4. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
(a) They met through William.
(b) They met through Ellen.
(c) They met through Benny.
(d) They met through Aunt Marthy.
5. Where do William and Benny decide to move after Linda returns from England?
6. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
(a) To show what a valuable servant she was.
(b) To punish her even in death.
(c) To show Aunt Marthy that she was in control.
(d) To cause Linda's family hardship.
7. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(b) Mary, his young daughter.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) His cousin.
8. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
(b) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
9. Which character dies while Linda is in hiding in Boston?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Aunt Nancy.
10. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
(a) The ship's captain.
(c) A homeless man Linda meets on the street.
11. Who does Linda meet soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) Ellen Brett.
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) Reverend Durham.
(d) Dr. Flint.
12. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
(a) 1 year.
(b) 7 years.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 5 years.
13. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
(a) Linda did not secure a job.
(b) A job as a cook.
(c) A job as a seamstress.
(d) A job as a nursemaid.
14. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
(b) In her room.
(c) In the 'Jim Crowe' cars.
(d) Linda stopped eating.
15. Who is finally able to purchase Linda's freedom for her?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
2. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
3. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
4. What horrific truth does Linda learn about Ellen's situation with the Hobbs'?
5. Where does Linda leave Ellen when she travels to England?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)