|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Linda's escape route from the South taking her first?
(a) New York.
(c) Washington D.C.
2. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 3 years.
3. What country is Linda's new employer from?
4. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her sister/mother.
(c) Her brother/father.
5. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
(a) An underground railroad escape route.
(b) An anti-slavery reading room.
(c) A bakery.
(d) A sewing shoppe.
6. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
(a) She found out that he returned South.
(b) She didn't find anything out because Benny was with her on the trip to England.
(c) She found out that he was discriminated againist and took a job on a whaling ship.
(d) She found out he had died.
7. What good news does one of Aunt Marthy's letters bring?
(a) That Aunt Marthy has escaped from slavery.
(b) That Mr. Sands wants to marry Linda.
(c) That Linda is now free.
(d) That Dr. Flint has died.
8. How is the author of the appendix related to the author of the story?
(a) She was a friend.
(b) There was no relationship between the author and the person who wrote the appendix.
(c) He was a sibling.
(d) She was the author of the book herself.
9. What family ends up employing Linda?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Flint.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Durham.
10. What horrific truth does Linda learn about Ellen's situation with the Hobbs'?
(a) Linda learned that Ellen was still a slave.
(b) Linda learned that Ellen loved the Hobbs' more than her own mother.
(c) Linda learned that Ellen was being raped by Mr. Hobbs.
(d) Linda learned that Ellen was being beaten.
11. What is the occupation of the character Linda meets soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) A minister.
(b) A senator.
(c) A student.
(d) A plantation owner.
12. Where does Linda leave Ellen when she travels to England?
(a) Sent Ellen to live with her father in her hometown.
(b) She took Ellen with her.
(c) Left Ellen with The Hobbs'.
(d) With a friend so she could attend school.
13. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
(b) Mr. Thorpe.
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Dr. Flint.
14. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
15. In what year is the appendix written?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
2. What two things does Linda immediately notice about Ellen?
3. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
4. What information does Linda tell Mrs. Bruce before she leaves the family?
5. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)