|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Hobbs.
2. Where is Ellen send to finish her schooling?
(a) A boarding school in Virgina.
(b) A boarding school in England.
(c) A boarding school in New York.
(d) A boarding school in Boston.
3. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
(a) Nobody's house.
(b) Mr. Sands'.
(c) Mr. Brett's.
(d) Dr. and Mrs. Flint's.
4. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
5. What one lie does the author point out in the letter from Emily?
(a) That the family sold her daughter.
(b) That the family was willing to sell her.
(c) That the family sold her son.
(d) That the family did not go to any trouble or expense to retrieve her.
6. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
(a) It is a law that allowed escaped slaves to claim their freedom.
(b) It is a law requiring Northerners to turn over slaves to their Southern owners.
(c) It is a law that stated all slaves were now free.
(d) It is a law that stated all fugitive slaves were to be imprisoned immediately.
7. Why is Linda unable to trust the captain in charge of her escape?
(a) She knows he is friends with Dr. Flint.
(b) He tried to rape her.
(c) He threatens to kill her.
(d) She's been betrayed by too many other white people.
8. Why does Linda no longer want to buy her freedom from the Flints/Dodges?
(a) Linda felt she should not have to pay for something that was already hers.
(b) Linda did not care if they owned her, so long as they didn't hurt her children.
(c) Linda knew that they would never sell her.
(d) Linda knew that she was already free.
9. Who is staying at the Hobbs' house when Linda goes to visit Ellen?
(b) Mr. Thorpe.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Dr. Flint.
10. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
(a) Mr. Thorpe.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
11. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
(a) Linda did not allow her to go.
(b) Linda wanted Ellen to have the best education possible.
(c) Linda wanted freedom from her responsiblities as a mother.
(d) Linda did not want to limit Ellen's opportunities in life.
12. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
13. What information does Linda tell Mrs. Bruce before she leaves the family?
(a) The she stole money from them.
(b) That she was a fugitive slave.
(c) That Mr. Sands was her childrens' father.
(d) That she was Ellen's mother.
14. In what part of New York does Linda meet up with Ellen?
(b) Long Island.
15. Who complains about delivering meals to Linda?
(a) The servants.
(b) The other train passengers.
(c) The white waiters.
(d) The other nursemaids.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ellen fare while Linda is in England?
2. In whose house does Linda meet her daughter?
3. Why does Linda feel that Aunt Nancy is 'slowly murdered'?
4. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
5. Left alone again, who does Linda go to work for after her return from England?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)