|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else also writes a brief paragraph in the appendix?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) George W. Lowther.
(d) William Brett.
2. What two things does Linda immediately notice about Ellen?
(a) She noticed that Ellen did love her anymore and that she wanted to live with her father.
(b) She noticed that Ellen's hair and face have been burned.
(c) She noticed that Ellen's care and education have been neglected.
(d) She noticed that Ellen's care and education have been well-cared for.
3. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
4. How does Linda escape from the South?
(a) By boat.
(b) By carriage.
(c) By train.
(d) By foot.
5. Who complains about delivering meals to Linda?
(a) The other nursemaids.
(b) The other train passengers.
(c) The servants.
(d) The white waiters.
6. When Linda has to go into hiding after The Fugitive Slave Law is enacted, whom does she take with her for protection?
(d) The Bruce's baby.
7. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
(a) A job as a cook.
(b) A job as a nursemaid.
(c) A job as a seamstress.
(d) Linda did not secure a job.
8. Why is Linda concerned about finding employment in Chapter 33?
(a) She had no references.
(b) She did not know how to read or write.
(c) She had no living arrangements.
(d) She had no skills.
9. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
(a) Linda discovers that Mr. Sands has sold Ellen into slavery.
(b) Linda discovers that Aunt Nancy has died.
(c) Linda discovers that Benny has known about her hiding place for quite some time.
(d) Linda discovers that Dr. Flint is on his way to recapture her.
10. Which character does Linda meet with before she departs on her journey North?
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Aunt Nancy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
11. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. Sands.
12. Why does Linda no longer want to buy her freedom from the Flints/Dodges?
(a) Linda felt she should not have to pay for something that was already hers.
(b) Linda knew that she was already free.
(c) Linda did not care if they owned her, so long as they didn't hurt her children.
(d) Linda knew that they would never sell her.
13. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
(a) It is a law that allowed escaped slaves to claim their freedom.
(b) It is a law that stated all fugitive slaves were to be imprisoned immediately.
(c) It is a law requiring Northerners to turn over slaves to their Southern owners.
(d) It is a law that stated all slaves were now free.
14. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
(a) A homeless man Linda meets on the street.
(c) The ship's captain.
15. In whose house does Linda meet her daughter?
(a) A former slave's house from her hometown.
(b) At the dock.
(c) At an abolisher's house.
(d) At the train station.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the author of the appendix related to the author of the story?
2. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
3. Who is staying at the Hobbs' house when Linda goes to visit Ellen?
4. Why is Linda unable to trust the captain in charge of her escape?
5. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)