|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Linda has to go into hiding after The Fugitive Slave Law is enacted, whom does she take with her for protection?
(b) The Bruce's baby.
2. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
(b) Linda is sick and needs rest.
(c) Linda is not overwhelmed.
(d) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
3. How many days does Linda's journey take to reach her first destination?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 48 days.
(d) 10 days.
4. What does Linda wish to tell Ellen before she departs for boarding school?
(a) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about her father.
(b) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Dr. Flint.
(c) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Aunt Marthy.
(d) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Emily Dodge.
5. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 3 years.
(c) 7 years.
(d) 1 year.
6. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Mrs. Hobbs.
7. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
(a) Linda did not secure a job.
(b) A job as a nursemaid.
(c) A job as a cook.
(d) A job as a seamstress.
8. Who complains about delivering meals to Linda?
(a) The white waiters.
(b) The servants.
(c) The other train passengers.
(d) The other nursemaids.
9. What country is Linda's new employer from?
10. Who does Mr. Thorpe write a letter to, telling this person Linda's whereabouts?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Mrs. Dobbs.
(c) Mrs. Jones.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
11. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
(a) The other passengers complained.
(b) The family forbade her to sit with them.
(c) The other nursemaids thought she was rude.
(d) The tables were 'white only'.
12. What two things does Linda immediately notice about Ellen?
(a) She noticed that Ellen's care and education have been neglected.
(b) She noticed that Ellen's care and education have been well-cared for.
(c) She noticed that Ellen's hair and face have been burned.
(d) She noticed that Ellen did love her anymore and that she wanted to live with her father.
13. Why does Linda feel that Aunt Nancy is 'slowly murdered'?
(a) Because she was neglected and overworked.
(b) Because she was imprisoned.
(c) Because she was starved.
(d) Because she was beaten.
14. Who writes the appendix?
(a) Amy Post.
(b) Harriet Jacobs.
(c) Linda Brett.
(d) William Brett.
15. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
(a) She was unable to sew.
(b) She was unable to climb up and down the stairs.
(c) She was unable to provide nourishment for the child.
(d) She was unable to go outside.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
2. What is the occupation of the character Linda meets soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
3. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
4. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
5. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)