|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
2. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
3. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
4. In what year is the appendix written?
5. What horrific truth does Linda learn about Ellen's situation with the Hobbs'?
(a) Linda learned that Ellen was still a slave.
(b) Linda learned that Ellen was being raped by Mr. Hobbs.
(c) Linda learned that Ellen was being beaten.
(d) Linda learned that Ellen loved the Hobbs' more than her own mother.
6. What one lie does the author point out in the letter from Emily?
(a) That the family sold her daughter.
(b) That the family was willing to sell her.
(c) That the family sold her son.
(d) That the family did not go to any trouble or expense to retrieve her.
7. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
(a) Her sister/mother.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her brother/father.
8. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(a) Mary, his young daughter.
(b) His cousin.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
9. Why doesn't the character in question #105 feel any pity for Linda when told about Linda's living conditions for the past several years?
(a) Benny did not pity Linda because he was angry at his mother for hiding from him.
(b) William did not pity Linda because he had much harder trials in slavery then she did.
(c) Fanny did not pity Linda because Fanny was upset to never have the opporunity to see her children again.
(d) Ellen did not pity Linda because she was mad at Linda for not telling her where she was hiding.
10. Why does Linda no longer want to buy her freedom from the Flints/Dodges?
(a) Linda did not care if they owned her, so long as they didn't hurt her children.
(b) Linda knew that she was already free.
(c) Linda felt she should not have to pay for something that was already hers.
(d) Linda knew that they would never sell her.
11. Where is Ellen send to finish her schooling?
(a) A boarding school in England.
(b) A boarding school in Virgina.
(c) A boarding school in Boston.
(d) A boarding school in New York.
12. How is the author of the appendix related to the author of the story?
(a) She was the author of the book herself.
(b) There was no relationship between the author and the person who wrote the appendix.
(c) He was a sibling.
(d) She was a friend.
13. How many days does Linda's journey take to reach her first destination?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 7 days.
(c) 48 days.
(d) 10 days.
14. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
15. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(d) No One.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
2. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
3. Who else also writes a brief paragraph in the appendix?
4. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
5. Why is Linda unable to trust the captain in charge of her escape?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)