|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
2. What country is Linda's new employer from?
3. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
(a) A job as a cook.
(b) A job as a seamstress.
(c) Linda did not secure a job.
(d) A job as a nursemaid.
4. Where does Linda leave Ellen when she travels to England?
(a) Sent Ellen to live with her father in her hometown.
(b) She took Ellen with her.
(c) With a friend so she could attend school.
(d) Left Ellen with The Hobbs'.
5. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
(a) She found out that he returned South.
(b) She found out that he was discriminated againist and took a job on a whaling ship.
(c) She found out he had died.
(d) She didn't find anything out because Benny was with her on the trip to England.
6. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
7. Who else also writes a brief paragraph in the appendix?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) George W. Lowther.
(c) William Brett.
(d) Dr. Flint.
8. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
(a) 3 years.
(b) 5 years.
(c) 1 year.
(d) 7 years.
9. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
10. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(a) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
11. Where is Linda's escape route from the South taking her first?
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) New York.
12. How does Ellen fare while Linda is in England?
(a) She was with Linda and was doing the same.
(b) She was doing poorly.
(c) She had left Boston and returned South.
(d) She was doing well.
13. While in Steventon, Linda witnesses severe poverty that she's never seen before. Although Linda feels sorry for these people, she also believes that they are lucky. Why does Linda feel this way?
(a) Linda knew that these people had more money than the slaves.
(b) Linda did not feel sorry for these people, and thought they deserved poverty.
(c) Linda knew that these people would eventually be sold into slavery.
(d) Linda knew that these poor people had the rights of the law to protect them.
14. Why does Linda feel that Aunt Nancy is 'slowly murdered'?
(a) Because she was beaten.
(b) Because she was neglected and overworked.
(c) Because she was imprisoned.
(d) Because she was starved.
15. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
(c) The ship's captain.
(d) A homeless man Linda meets on the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what mode of transportation does Linda continue her journey to New York?
2. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
3. After Linda receives the letter from the Flints, who comes to New York to look for her?
4. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
5. How does Linda escape from the South?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)