|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What one lie does the author point out in the letter from Emily?
(a) That the family sold her son.
(b) That the family did not go to any trouble or expense to retrieve her.
(c) That the family sold her daughter.
(d) That the family was willing to sell her.
2. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
(a) Linda discovers that Aunt Nancy has died.
(b) Linda discovers that Dr. Flint is on his way to recapture her.
(c) Linda discovers that Benny has known about her hiding place for quite some time.
(d) Linda discovers that Mr. Sands has sold Ellen into slavery.
3. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The escaped slave community.
(b) The African-American community.
(c) The Irish community.
(d) The nursemaid community.
4. When Linda has to go into hiding after The Fugitive Slave Law is enacted, whom does she take with her for protection?
(c) The Bruce's baby.
5. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
(a) She found out that he was discriminated againist and took a job on a whaling ship.
(b) She found out he had died.
(c) She didn't find anything out because Benny was with her on the trip to England.
(d) She found out that he returned South.
6. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
(b) Her Uncle Phillip.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Uncle Fred.
7. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
(a) A sewing shoppe.
(b) A bakery.
(c) An underground railroad escape route.
(d) An anti-slavery reading room.
8. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
(b) In her room.
(c) In the 'Jim Crowe' cars.
(d) Linda stopped eating.
9. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
(a) No One.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
10. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
(b) Her sister/mother.
(c) Her brother/father.
(d) Her cousin.
11. Who is finally able to purchase Linda's freedom for her?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
12. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
(a) She thought the remarks were rude.
(b) She thought the remarks were mean.
(c) She knew the remarks weren't true.
(d) She knew the remarks were true.
13. What circumstances prevent Ellen from going to live with Linda?
(a) Linda did not want Ellen to live with her.
(b) Ellen did not want to live with Linda.
(c) Ellen was pregnant.
(d) Linda did not have a place for Ellen to live.
14. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
(a) That she was 'cordially invited' to join them on their plantation in Virgina.
(b) That Linda was no longer a slave.
(c) That Aunt Marthy was returned to slavery.
(d) That Benny and Ellen had been captured and sold.
15. After Linda's meeting with Ellen, whom does she begin looking for?
(a) Her friend, Fanny.
(b) Her brother, William.
(c) Her son, Benny.
(d) Her uncle, Benjamin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
2. Where does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried?
3. What does Linda wish to tell Ellen before she departs for boarding school?
4. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
5. Who else also writes a brief paragraph in the appendix?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)