|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
2. Which character dies while Linda is in hiding in Boston?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Aunt Nancy.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
3. Which character does Linda meet with before she departs on her journey North?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(d) Aunt Nancy.
4. What is the name of the escaped slave that Linda runs into on the streets of New York, that is also from her hometown?
5. On what mode of transportation does Linda continue her journey to New York?
(a) By carriage.
(b) By foot.
(c) By boat.
(d) By train.
6. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Mrs. Hobbs.
7. Where does Linda leave Ellen when she travels to England?
(a) With a friend so she could attend school.
(b) Sent Ellen to live with her father in her hometown.
(c) Left Ellen with The Hobbs'.
(d) She took Ellen with her.
8. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mr. Sands.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
9. Why does Linda no longer want to buy her freedom from the Flints/Dodges?
(a) Linda felt she should not have to pay for something that was already hers.
(b) Linda knew that they would never sell her.
(c) Linda did not care if they owned her, so long as they didn't hurt her children.
(d) Linda knew that she was already free.
10. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
(a) In her room.
(b) In the 'Jim Crowe' cars.
(c) Linda stopped eating.
11. What family ends up employing Linda?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Flint.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Durham.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
12. While in Steventon, Linda witnesses severe poverty that she's never seen before. Although Linda feels sorry for these people, she also believes that they are lucky. Why does Linda feel this way?
(a) Linda knew that these people would eventually be sold into slavery.
(b) Linda knew that these people had more money than the slaves.
(c) Linda knew that these poor people had the rights of the law to protect them.
(d) Linda did not feel sorry for these people, and thought they deserved poverty.
13. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
14. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
(a) The other passengers complained.
(b) The other nursemaids thought she was rude.
(c) The family forbade her to sit with them.
(d) The tables were 'white only'.
15. What country is Linda's new employer from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
2. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
3. How does Ellen fare while Linda is in England?
4. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
5. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)