|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
2. In whose house does Linda meet her daughter?
(a) At the train station.
(b) At an abolisher's house.
(c) At the dock.
(d) A former slave's house from her hometown.
3. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
(a) Linda wanted Ellen to have the best education possible.
(b) Linda wanted freedom from her responsiblities as a mother.
(c) Linda did not allow her to go.
(d) Linda did not want to limit Ellen's opportunities in life.
4. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
(a) 5 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 7 years.
5. What circumstances prevent Ellen from going to live with Linda?
(a) Linda did not want Ellen to live with her.
(b) Ellen did not want to live with Linda.
(c) Ellen was pregnant.
(d) Linda did not have a place for Ellen to live.
6. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
(a) Mr. Thorpe.
(b) Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
7. In what year is the appendix written?
8. Where is Linda's escape route from the South taking her first?
(c) Washington D.C.
(d) New York.
9. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
(b) Linda is not overwhelmed.
(c) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
(d) Linda is sick and needs rest.
10. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
(a) An underground railroad escape route.
(b) A sewing shoppe.
(c) An anti-slavery reading room.
(d) A bakery.
11. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
(a) Her friend, Peter.
(b) Her brother, William.
(c) Her daughter, Ellen.
(d) Her master, Dr. Flint.
12. What worries Linda about the Flints/Dodges?
(a) That they want to come visit her in Boston.
(b) That they plan to sell her children.
(c) That they are offering her her freedom.
(d) That they are so well aware of her actions.
13. What two things does Linda immediately notice about Ellen?
(a) She noticed that Ellen's care and education have been neglected.
(b) She noticed that Ellen did love her anymore and that she wanted to live with her father.
(c) She noticed that Ellen's hair and face have been burned.
(d) She noticed that Ellen's care and education have been well-cared for.
14. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
15. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
(a) She thought the remarks were rude.
(b) She thought the remarks were mean.
(c) She knew the remarks were true.
(d) She knew the remarks weren't true.
Short Answer Questions
1. What country is Linda's new employer from?
2. Who is staying at the Hobbs' house when Linda goes to visit Ellen?
3. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
4. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
5. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)