|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
(a) Mr. Sands'.
(b) Dr. and Mrs. Flint's.
(c) Mr. Brett's.
(d) Nobody's house.
2. How does Mrs. Bruce react to the news that Linda confesses to her?
(a) She is shocked, and shuns Linda and her family.
(b) She is mad and tells Dr. Flint where to find Linda.
(c) She doesn't care one way or another.
(d) She is sympathetic and assists Linda into hiding.
3. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) A local gossip.
4. On what mode of transportation does Linda continue her journey to New York?
(a) By train.
(b) By foot.
(c) By boat.
(d) By carriage.
5. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
(a) It is a law that stated all fugitive slaves were to be imprisoned immediately.
(b) It is a law that stated all slaves were now free.
(c) It is a law that allowed escaped slaves to claim their freedom.
(d) It is a law requiring Northerners to turn over slaves to their Southern owners.
6. In what year is the appendix written?
7. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
(a) To show Aunt Marthy that she was in control.
(b) To punish her even in death.
(c) To show what a valuable servant she was.
(d) To cause Linda's family hardship.
8. Where does Linda leave Benny when she travels to England?
(a) To apprentice a trade.
(b) Left him to fend for himself.
(c) She took him with her.
(d) Sent him to live with his father in her hometown.
9. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
(b) Her sister/mother.
(c) Her brother/father.
(d) Her cousin.
10. What honor is bestowed upon Uncle Phillip when he passes away?
(a) His remains were shipped North where he could claim freedom.
(b) His funeral was paid for by The Flints.
(c) His obituary runs in the local paper.
(d) His remains were buried in a 'white only' cemetery.
11. Who does Linda meet soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Reverend Durham.
(c) Ellen Brett.
(d) Mr. Sands.
12. Which character dies while Linda is in hiding in Boston?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Aunt Nancy.
13. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
14. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
(a) Linda awakes to the sounds of singing in the streets.
(b) Linda awakes to the sounds of carriages in the street.
(c) Linda awakes to the sounds of a fire and is shocked to see that no one else wakes to help out.
(d) Linda awakes to the sounds of a mother crying in the streets.
15. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(a) Mary, his young daughter.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) His cousin.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
2. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
3. How is the author of the appendix related to the author of the story?
4. What city is the first stop on Linda's trip to England?
5. Why is Linda unable to trust the captain in charge of her escape?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)