|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Mr. Thorpe.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
2. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
(a) Linda stopped eating.
(c) In the 'Jim Crowe' cars.
(d) In her room.
3. What good news does one of Aunt Marthy's letters bring?
(a) That Dr. Flint has died.
(b) That Aunt Marthy has escaped from slavery.
(c) That Linda is now free.
(d) That Mr. Sands wants to marry Linda.
4. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
(a) She wanted to make money.
(b) She wanted to back up Linda's claims.
(c) She wanted to refute what Linda said.
(d) He wanted to criticize the author.
5. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) A local gossip.
6. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
(a) A sewing shoppe.
(b) A bakery.
(c) An anti-slavery reading room.
(d) An underground railroad escape route.
7. How does Mrs. Bruce react to the news that Linda confesses to her?
(a) She is shocked, and shuns Linda and her family.
(b) She is sympathetic and assists Linda into hiding.
(c) She is mad and tells Dr. Flint where to find Linda.
(d) She doesn't care one way or another.
8. In what part of New York does Linda meet up with Ellen?
(d) Long Island.
9. Who does Mr. Thorpe write a letter to, telling this person Linda's whereabouts?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Mrs. Dobbs.
(d) Mrs. Jones.
10. Why does Linda feel that Aunt Nancy is 'slowly murdered'?
(a) Because she was beaten.
(b) Because she was imprisoned.
(c) Because she was starved.
(d) Because she was neglected and overworked.
11. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her brother/father.
(d) Her sister/mother.
12. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
(a) Dr. and Mrs. Flint's.
(b) Mr. Sands'.
(c) Mr. Brett's.
(d) Nobody's house.
13. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
(a) Linda did not want to limit Ellen's opportunities in life.
(b) Linda did not allow her to go.
(c) Linda wanted freedom from her responsiblities as a mother.
(d) Linda wanted Ellen to have the best education possible.
14. What group of people does Linda's host introduce her to in order to help her continue her journey to New York?
(a) The Red Cross.
(b) The anti-slavery society.
(c) The underground railroad society.
(d) The Catholic Church.
15. On what mode of transportation does Linda continue her journey to New York?
(a) By carriage.
(b) By train.
(c) By foot.
(d) By boat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes the appendix?
2. What job type, or title, does Linda secure?
3. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
4. What horrific truth does Linda learn about Ellen's situation with the Hobbs'?
5. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)