|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
(a) An anti-slavery reading room.
(b) An underground railroad escape route.
(c) A bakery.
(d) A sewing shoppe.
2. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Mrs. Flint.
(c) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
3. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The Irish community.
(b) The African-American community.
(c) The nursemaid community.
(d) The escaped slave community.
4. Where is Linda's escape route from the South taking her first?
(a) New York.
(b) Washington D.C.
5. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
(b) Both of her children.
(c) Mrs. Bruce.
6. While in Steventon, Linda witnesses severe poverty that she's never seen before. Although Linda feels sorry for these people, she also believes that they are lucky. Why does Linda feel this way?
(a) Linda knew that these poor people had the rights of the law to protect them.
(b) Linda knew that these people would eventually be sold into slavery.
(c) Linda did not feel sorry for these people, and thought they deserved poverty.
(d) Linda knew that these people had more money than the slaves.
7. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(b) Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Mr. Thorpe.
8. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
(a) Linda did not allow her to go.
(b) Linda wanted freedom from her responsiblities as a mother.
(c) Linda wanted Ellen to have the best education possible.
(d) Linda did not want to limit Ellen's opportunities in life.
9. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
10. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(a) Mrs. Flint.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Uncle Phillip.
11. What does Linda wish to tell Ellen before she departs for boarding school?
(a) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Dr. Flint.
(b) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Aunt Marthy.
(c) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about Emily Dodge.
(d) Linda wanted to tell Ellen the truth about her father.
12. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
13. What is the occupation of the character Linda meets soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) A student.
(b) A minister.
(c) A plantation owner.
(d) A senator.
14. After Linda's meeting with Ellen, whom does she begin looking for?
(a) Her son, Benny.
(b) Her uncle, Benjamin.
(c) Her friend, Fanny.
(d) Her brother, William.
15. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
2. How does Linda escape from the South?
3. Who else also writes a brief paragraph in the appendix?
4. Why is Linda concerned about finding employment in Chapter 33?
5. Where does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)