|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What family ends up employing Linda?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Durham.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Flint.
2. What circumstances prevent Ellen from going to live with Linda?
(a) Ellen did not want to live with Linda.
(b) Linda did not want Ellen to live with her.
(c) Ellen was pregnant.
(d) Linda did not have a place for Ellen to live.
3. Who is unable to attend Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
4. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
(c) No One.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
5. How many days does Linda's journey take to reach her first destination?
(a) 48 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 2 days.
6. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
(a) Linda awakes to the sounds of singing in the streets.
(b) Linda awakes to the sounds of a fire and is shocked to see that no one else wakes to help out.
(c) Linda awakes to the sounds of carriages in the street.
(d) Linda awakes to the sounds of a mother crying in the streets.
7. Why does Linda no longer want to buy her freedom from the Flints/Dodges?
(a) Linda knew that they would never sell her.
(b) Linda did not care if they owned her, so long as they didn't hurt her children.
(c) Linda knew that she was already free.
(d) Linda felt she should not have to pay for something that was already hers.
8. What city is the first stop on Linda's trip to England?
(d) South Wales.
9. Where do William and Benny decide to move after Linda returns from England?
10. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
11. How does Linda escape from the South?
(a) By train.
(b) By boat.
(c) By carriage.
(d) By foot.
12. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
(a) Her brother/father.
(c) Her sister/mother.
(d) Her cousin.
13. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
(a) That Linda was no longer a slave.
(b) That Benny and Ellen had been captured and sold.
(c) That she was 'cordially invited' to join them on their plantation in Virgina.
(d) That Aunt Marthy was returned to slavery.
14. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The Irish community.
(b) The escaped slave community.
(c) The African-American community.
(d) The nursemaid community.
15. How is the author of the appendix related to the author of the story?
(a) He was a sibling.
(b) She was a friend.
(c) She was the author of the book herself.
(d) There was no relationship between the author and the person who wrote the appendix.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
2. Where is Linda's escape route from the South taking her first?
3. Who else also writes a brief paragraph in the appendix?
4. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
5. What two things does Linda immediately notice about Ellen?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)