|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't the character in question #105 feel any pity for Linda when told about Linda's living conditions for the past several years?
(a) Benny did not pity Linda because he was angry at his mother for hiding from him.
(b) Fanny did not pity Linda because Fanny was upset to never have the opporunity to see her children again.
(c) William did not pity Linda because he had much harder trials in slavery then she did.
(d) Ellen did not pity Linda because she was mad at Linda for not telling her where she was hiding.
2. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
(a) A bakery.
(b) An underground railroad escape route.
(c) A sewing shoppe.
(d) An anti-slavery reading room.
3. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
(a) She was unable to sew.
(b) She was unable to climb up and down the stairs.
(c) She was unable to provide nourishment for the child.
(d) She was unable to go outside.
4. Where does Linda leave Benny when she travels to England?
(a) To apprentice a trade.
(b) She took him with her.
(c) Left him to fend for himself.
(d) Sent him to live with his father in her hometown.
5. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
(a) Mr. Thorpe.
(b) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mrs. Hobbs.
6. When Linda has to go into hiding after The Fugitive Slave Law is enacted, whom does she take with her for protection?
(d) The Bruce's baby.
7. What family ends up employing Linda?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Flint.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Durham.
8. When Linda hears that someone from her hometown is coming to find her, where does Linda flee?
9. Left alone again, who does Linda go to work for after her return from England?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Post.
10. Who does Linda meet soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Reverend Durham.
(c) Ellen Brett.
(d) Mr. Sands.
11. What is the name of the escaped slave that Linda runs into on the streets of New York, that is also from her hometown?
12. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
(a) It is a law that stated all slaves were now free.
(b) It is a law requiring Northerners to turn over slaves to their Southern owners.
(c) It is a law that stated all fugitive slaves were to be imprisoned immediately.
(d) It is a law that allowed escaped slaves to claim their freedom.
13. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
(a) To show what a valuable servant she was.
(b) To cause Linda's family hardship.
(c) To punish her even in death.
(d) To show Aunt Marthy that she was in control.
14. How is the author of the appendix related to the author of the story?
(a) She was the author of the book herself.
(b) She was a friend.
(c) He was a sibling.
(d) There was no relationship between the author and the person who wrote the appendix.
15. Where does Linda leave Ellen when she travels to England?
(a) With a friend so she could attend school.
(b) Left Ellen with The Hobbs'.
(c) Sent Ellen to live with her father in her hometown.
(d) She took Ellen with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
2. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
3. Although Linda initially accepts the opportunity to escape, she is talked into staying. Who does Linda give her opportunity to?
4. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
5. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)