|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who else also writes a brief paragraph in the appendix?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) William Brett.
(d) George W. Lowther.
2. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
3. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
(a) She was unable to climb up and down the stairs.
(b) She was unable to provide nourishment for the child.
(c) She was unable to sew.
(d) She was unable to go outside.
4. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
(a) Linda discovers that Dr. Flint is on his way to recapture her.
(b) Linda discovers that Benny has known about her hiding place for quite some time.
(c) Linda discovers that Aunt Nancy has died.
(d) Linda discovers that Mr. Sands has sold Ellen into slavery.
5. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
(a) Ellen denied the claims her mother made.
(b) Ellen ran out of the house and never saw her mother again.
(c) Ellen didn't care what her mother had to say.
(d) Ellen already knew the truth about her father.
6. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Mr. Thorpe.
7. What one lie does the author point out in the letter from Emily?
(a) That the family was willing to sell her.
(b) That the family sold her daughter.
(c) That the family did not go to any trouble or expense to retrieve her.
(d) That the family sold her son.
8. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
(a) A homeless man Linda meets on the street.
(d) The ship's captain.
9. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(a) His cousin.
(b) Mary, his young daughter.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
10. What is the name of the escaped slave that Linda runs into on the streets of New York, that is also from her hometown?
11. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The nursemaid community.
(b) The escaped slave community.
(c) The African-American community.
(d) The Irish community.
12. What is the Fugitive Slave Law?
(a) It is a law that stated all slaves were now free.
(b) It is a law requiring Northerners to turn over slaves to their Southern owners.
(c) It is a law that stated all fugitive slaves were to be imprisoned immediately.
(d) It is a law that allowed escaped slaves to claim their freedom.
13. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
14. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
(b) Dr. Flint.
(d) A local gossip.
15. Who complains about delivering meals to Linda?
(a) The other nursemaids.
(b) The servants.
(c) The other train passengers.
(d) The white waiters.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what mode of transportation does Linda continue her journey to New York?
2. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
3. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
4. Why is Linda unable to trust the captain in charge of her escape?
5. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)