|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
(a) She wanted to make money.
(b) She wanted to back up Linda's claims.
(c) She wanted to refute what Linda said.
(d) He wanted to criticize the author.
2. Who does Linda receive letters from quite often even though this person is illiterate?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Uncle Fred.
(c) Her Uncle Phillip.
3. Who is staying at the Hobbs' house when Linda goes to visit Ellen?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Mr. Thorpe.
(c) Dr. Flint.
4. In whose house does Linda meet her daughter?
(a) At the dock.
(b) At the train station.
(c) A former slave's house from her hometown.
(d) At an abolisher's house.
5. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
6. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
(a) Her brother, William.
(b) Her master, Dr. Flint.
(c) Her daughter, Ellen.
(d) Her friend, Peter.
7. Who continues to go out of his way to help Linda and her companion when they reach Philadelphia?
(b) A homeless man Linda meets on the street.
(d) The ship's captain.
8. Who does Linda meet soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) Reverend Durham.
(d) Ellen Brett.
9. How does Mrs. Bruce react to the news that Linda confesses to her?
(a) She is sympathetic and assists Linda into hiding.
(b) She doesn't care one way or another.
(c) She is mad and tells Dr. Flint where to find Linda.
(d) She is shocked, and shuns Linda and her family.
10. What circumstances prevent Ellen from going to live with Linda?
(a) Ellen did not want to live with Linda.
(b) Linda did not want Ellen to live with her.
(c) Ellen was pregnant.
(d) Linda did not have a place for Ellen to live.
11. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
(a) That she was 'cordially invited' to join them on their plantation in Virgina.
(b) That Aunt Marthy was returned to slavery.
(c) That Linda was no longer a slave.
(d) That Benny and Ellen had been captured and sold.
12. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
(b) Mrs. Flint.
(c) Mr. Thorpe.
(d) Dr. Flint.
13. In what part of New York does Linda meet up with Ellen?
(b) Long Island.
14. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Mr. Thorpe.
(d) Mrs. Hobbs.
15. How does Linda escape from the South?
(a) By foot.
(b) By carriage.
(c) By boat.
(d) By train.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Mr. Thorpe write a letter to, telling this person Linda's whereabouts?
2. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
3. Who does Linda send for while hiding in a Northern city?
4. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
5. After Linda's reprimands, where does she begin having her meals?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)