|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What city is the first stop on Linda's trip to England?
(b) South Wales.
2. After Linda's meeting with Ellen, whom does she begin looking for?
(a) Her brother, William.
(b) Her friend, Fanny.
(c) Her son, Benny.
(d) Her uncle, Benjamin.
3. What event happens during Linda's first night in the big city that makes her aware of the differences between life in the North versus life in the South?
(a) Linda awakes to the sounds of a mother crying in the streets.
(b) Linda awakes to the sounds of a fire and is shocked to see that no one else wakes to help out.
(c) Linda awakes to the sounds of carriages in the street.
(d) Linda awakes to the sounds of singing in the streets.
4. What honor is bestowed upon Uncle Phillip when he passes away?
(a) His obituary runs in the local paper.
(b) His remains were shipped North where he could claim freedom.
(c) His remains were buried in a 'white only' cemetery.
(d) His funeral was paid for by The Flints.
5. Who does Linda run into on the street on her way to the Hobbs' residence?
(b) Mr. Thorpe.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
6. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
(a) To show Aunt Marthy that she was in control.
(b) To cause Linda's family hardship.
(c) To punish her even in death.
(d) To show what a valuable servant she was.
7. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
(a) Ellen denied the claims her mother made.
(b) Ellen ran out of the house and never saw her mother again.
(c) Ellen didn't care what her mother had to say.
(d) Ellen already knew the truth about her father.
8. Where does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried?
(a) Buried where most slaves are buried.
(b) Buried under the house.
(c) Buried in the Flint family plot.
(d) Buried in a field.
9. What country is Linda's new employer from?
10. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The escaped slave community.
(b) The Irish community.
(c) The nursemaid community.
(d) The African-American community.
11. How does Mrs. Bruce react to the news that Linda confesses to her?
(a) She is sympathetic and assists Linda into hiding.
(b) She doesn't care one way or another.
(c) She is mad and tells Dr. Flint where to find Linda.
(d) She is shocked, and shuns Linda and her family.
12. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
(a) She wanted to back up Linda's claims.
(b) She wanted to make money.
(c) She wanted to refute what Linda said.
(d) He wanted to criticize the author.
13. Why is Linda reprimanded for sitting with her employers at meal times?
(a) The other nursemaids thought she was rude.
(b) The family forbade her to sit with them.
(c) The other passengers complained.
(d) The tables were 'white only'.
14. After Linda receives the letter from the Flints, who comes to New York to look for her?
(a) Mrs. Flint.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) Emily Flint.
15. Who is staying at the Hobbs' house when Linda goes to visit Ellen?
(a) Mr. Thorpe.
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to pay for Ellen's schooling?
2. Who does Mr. Thorpe write a letter to, telling this person Linda's whereabouts?
3. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
4. Why does Linda no longer want to buy her freedom from the Flints/Dodges?
5. What do Linda and William start up in Rochester?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)