|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Linda receives the letter from the Flints, who comes to New York to look for her?
(a) Mrs. Flint.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Emily Flint.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
2. What family ends up employing Linda?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Durham.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Flint.
3. Who writes the appendix?
(a) Linda Brett.
(b) Harriet Jacobs.
(c) William Brett.
(d) Amy Post.
4. Which character does Linda meet with before she departs on her journey North?
(a) Aunt Nancy.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(d) Mr. Sands.
5. In whose house does Linda meet her daughter?
(a) At an abolisher's house.
(b) At the train station.
(c) At the dock.
(d) A former slave's house from her hometown.
6. What information does Linda tell Mrs. Bruce before she leaves the family?
(a) The she stole money from them.
(b) That she was a fugitive slave.
(c) That Mr. Sands was her childrens' father.
(d) That she was Ellen's mother.
7. Who does Linda send for while hiding in a Northern city?
(d) Uncle Phillip.
8. Why is Linda concerned about finding employment in Chapter 33?
(a) She did not know how to read or write.
(b) She had no living arrangements.
(c) She had no references.
(d) She had no skills.
9. Which character leaves with Linda when she escapes from the South?
10. Who is Linda mad at for allowing themselves to be treated as second-class citizens?
(a) The African-American community.
(b) The escaped slave community.
(c) The Irish community.
(d) The nursemaid community.
11. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
(a) Her sister/mother.
(c) Her brother/father.
(d) Her cousin.
12. In what part of New York does Linda meet up with Ellen?
(c) Long Island.
13. Why does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried in a specific spot?
(a) To show what a valuable servant she was.
(b) To show Aunt Marthy that she was in control.
(c) To punish her even in death.
(d) To cause Linda's family hardship.
14. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
(a) That Aunt Marthy was returned to slavery.
(b) That she was 'cordially invited' to join them on their plantation in Virgina.
(c) That Linda was no longer a slave.
(d) That Benny and Ellen had been captured and sold.
15. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
(a) She found out he had died.
(b) She didn't find anything out because Benny was with her on the trip to England.
(c) She found out that he was discriminated againist and took a job on a whaling ship.
(d) She found out that he returned South.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the escaped slave that Linda runs into procure funds to escape from slavery?
2. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
3. What is the occupation of the character Linda meets soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
4. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
5. In what year is the appendix written?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)