|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
(b) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
(c) Linda is not overwhelmed.
(d) Linda is sick and needs rest.
2. How many days does Linda's journey take to reach her first destination?
(a) 2 days.
(b) 10 days.
(c) 48 days.
(d) 7 days.
3. Who does Mr. Thorpe write a letter to, telling this person Linda's whereabouts?
(a) Mrs. Jones.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) Mrs. Dobbs.
4. Although Linda is saddened by the thought of sending her daughter off to boarding school, why does she still allow her to go?
(a) Linda wanted freedom from her responsiblities as a mother.
(b) Linda wanted Ellen to have the best education possible.
(c) Linda did not allow her to go.
(d) Linda did not want to limit Ellen's opportunities in life.
5. Which character dies while Linda is in hiding in Boston?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Aunt Nancy.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
6. What information does Linda tell Mrs. Bruce before she leaves the family?
(a) That Mr. Sands was her childrens' father.
(b) The she stole money from them.
(c) That she was a fugitive slave.
(d) That she was Ellen's mother.
7. What worries Linda about the Flints/Dodges?
(a) That they are so well aware of her actions.
(b) That they want to come visit her in Boston.
(c) That they are offering her her freedom.
(d) That they plan to sell her children.
8. What distressing news does Linda discover about Benny when she returns to Boston?
(a) She found out he had died.
(b) She didn't find anything out because Benny was with her on the trip to England.
(c) She found out that he returned South.
(d) She found out that he was discriminated againist and took a job on a whaling ship.
9. What one lie does the author point out in the letter from Emily?
(a) That the family was willing to sell her.
(b) That the family sold her daughter.
(c) That the family did not go to any trouble or expense to retrieve her.
(d) That the family sold her son.
10. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Mary, his young daughter.
(c) His cousin.
11. In what year is the appendix written?
12. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Uncle Phillip.
13. Which character does Linda meet with before she departs on her journey North?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(d) Aunt Nancy.
14. Who is finally able to purchase Linda's freedom for her?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Mrs. Bruce.
15. Even though Linda has made several attempts to avoid this person at the Hobbs' house, who requests to see her?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(b) Mr. Thorpe.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
Short Answer Questions
1. What obstacle does Linda face at her new job that is remedied by her new employer?
2. What is the occupation of the character Linda meets soon after she arrives at her first destination in the North?
3. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
4. During Linda's meeting with the character in question #101, what information is discovered?
5. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)