|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Mrs. Flint want Aunt Nancy buried?
(a) Buried where most slaves are buried.
(b) Buried in the Flint family plot.
(c) Buried in a field.
(d) Buried under the house.
2. What worries Linda about the Flints/Dodges?
(a) That they plan to sell her children.
(b) That they are so well aware of her actions.
(c) That they are offering her her freedom.
(d) That they want to come visit her in Boston.
3. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
(a) Ellen ran out of the house and never saw her mother again.
(b) Ellen already knew the truth about her father.
(c) Ellen didn't care what her mother had to say.
(d) Ellen denied the claims her mother made.
4. What does the letter from Linda's legal owner state?
(a) That Benny and Ellen had been captured and sold.
(b) That Aunt Marthy was returned to slavery.
(c) That Linda was no longer a slave.
(d) That she was 'cordially invited' to join them on their plantation in Virgina.
5. Who is finally able to purchase Linda's freedom for her?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
6. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
(b) Linda is sick and needs rest.
(c) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
(d) Linda is not overwhelmed.
7. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
(a) She knew the remarks weren't true.
(b) She knew the remarks were true.
(c) She thought the remarks were rude.
(d) She thought the remarks were mean.
8. Who arranges for Linda's escape?
(a) Her brother, William.
(b) Her master, Dr. Flint.
(c) Her friend, Peter.
(d) Her daughter, Ellen.
9. How many days does Linda's journey take to reach her first destination?
(a) 48 days.
(b) 2 days.
(c) 7 days.
(d) 10 days.
10. Left alone again, who does Linda go to work for after her return from England?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Post.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
11. Who terrifies Linda when she finds out that they are staying at a hotel in New York?
(a) Mr. and Mrs. Bruce.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Dodge.
(c) Dr. and Mrs. Flint.
(d) Mr. and Mrs. Hobbs.
12. Which character does Linda meet with before she departs on her journey North?
(a) Aunt Nancy.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Mr. Sands.
13. Where does Linda leave Benny when she travels to England?
(a) She took him with her.
(b) Left him to fend for himself.
(c) To apprentice a trade.
(d) Sent him to live with his father in her hometown.
14. After Linda's meeting with Ellen, whom does she begin looking for?
(a) Her son, Benny.
(b) Her friend, Fanny.
(c) Her uncle, Benjamin.
(d) Her brother, William.
15. Linda changes her mind, and goes ahead and flees North when someone spots her. Who is it?
(b) Dr. Flint.
(d) A local gossip.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for writing the appendix?
2. Which character dies while Linda is in hiding in Boston?
3. Who writes the appendix?
4. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
5. When Linda has to go into hiding after The Fugitive Slave Law is enacted, whom does she take with her for protection?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)