|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For approximately how many years does Linda stay in hiding before an opportunity to escape arises?
(a) 7 years.
(b) 1 year.
(c) 3 years.
(d) 5 years.
2. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
(a) Mrs. Bruce.
(d) Both of her children.
3. Why is Linda overwhelmed by the big city sights and sounds?
(a) Linda is sick and needs rest.
(b) This is Linda's first trip to a big city.
(c) Linda is afraid she will be spotted by a slave hunter.
(d) Linda is not overwhelmed.
4. Linda receives a letter from her legal owner shortly after her return from England. Who is Linda's legal owner?
(a) Mr. Thorpe.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Mrs. Flint.
(d) Mrs. Emily Dodge.
5. Which character dies while Linda is in hiding in Boston?
(b) Mrs. Bruce.
(c) Aunt Nancy.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
6. Who writes Emily Flint's letter to Linda?
(a) Her cousin.
(b) Her sister/mother.
(d) Her brother/father.
7. Why is Linda upset by some of Benny's remarks when he arrives in Boston?
(a) She thought the remarks were rude.
(b) She knew the remarks were true.
(c) She thought the remarks were mean.
(d) She knew the remarks weren't true.
8. Who does Mr. Bruce want Linda to accompany to England?
(b) His cousin.
(c) Mary, his young daughter.
(d) Mrs. Bruce.
9. Where do William and Benny decide to move after Linda returns from England?
10. Who is Mr. Thorpe grateful to for bestowing kindness onto him?
(a) Mrs. Hobbs.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
11. How do Linda and the appendix writer meet?
(a) They met through Aunt Marthy.
(b) They met through William.
(c) They met through Benny.
(d) They met through Ellen.
12. Who complains about delivering meals to Linda?
(a) The other nursemaids.
(b) The other train passengers.
(c) The servants.
(d) The white waiters.
13. What horrific truth does Linda learn about Ellen's situation with the Hobbs'?
(a) Linda learned that Ellen was being raped by Mr. Hobbs.
(b) Linda learned that Ellen was being beaten.
(c) Linda learned that Ellen was still a slave.
(d) Linda learned that Ellen loved the Hobbs' more than her own mother.
14. Who pays the expenses for Aunt Nancy's funeral?
(b) Uncle Phillip.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
15. What is Ellen's response to Linda's confession before Ellen returns to New York for boarding school?
(a) Ellen didn't care what her mother had to say.
(b) Ellen already knew the truth about her father.
(c) Ellen ran out of the house and never saw her mother again.
(d) Ellen denied the claims her mother made.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much is paid for Linda's freedom?
2. Left alone again, who does Linda go to work for after her return from England?
3. What city is the first stop on Linda's trip to England?
4. In whose house does Linda meet her daughter?
5. In whose household is Aunt Nancy a slave?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)