|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
(a) Nat Turner's insurrection.
(b) Linda's disappearance.
(c) Benjamin's escape to the North.
(d) The death of a slave.
2. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her grandmother.
3. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her grandmother's money.
(c) Her belongings.
(d) Her children.
4. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
5. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
6. Why is Linda hiding in the swamps?
(a) She is waiting for a new secure hiding place.
(b) Linda enjoys the swamps.
(c) The Flints find Linda and she flees to the swamps.
(d) Linda's hider kicks her out and she had no other place to go.
7. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
(a) Posters of Linda's children.
(b) Posters of Linda being hung.
(c) Nothing was posted because Linda never disappeared.
(d) Advertisements offering a reward for her capture.
8. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
(c) Aunt Marthy.
9. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
(a) She wants to have another child.
(b) She wants him to tell Dr. Flint where she is hiding.
(c) She wants to tell him she loves him.
(d) She wants to secure her children's freedom.
10. What item does the young Mrs. Flint deny an old feeble slave?
(a) His meat ration.
(b) His medication.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His share of work.
11. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
(a) To be returned to slavery.
(b) To be beaten by her master.
(c) To flee to another state.
12. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
(a) Mr. Jones.
(b) Mr. Lover.
(c) Mr. Sands.
(d) Mr. Flint.
13. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
(a) Linda Brett.
(b) Mrs. Flint.
(c) Benjamin Brett.
(d) Jane Hoffman.
14. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
(a) Her tweens.
(b) Her adolesence.
(c) Her childhood.
(d) Her adulthood.
15. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
(a) She informs him that she is free.
(b) She informs him that she is pregnant.
(c) She informs him that he is the father of her children.
(d) She informs him that she is running away.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
2. Where is Ellen sent to live?
3. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
4. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
5. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
This section contains 560 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)