|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Linda fall in love with?
(b) Dr. Flint.
(d) A free black man in her town.
2. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
(a) It tears families apart.
(b) It forces people to marry.
(c) It takes away their property.
(d) It forces the slaves to choose their owners.
3. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
(a) Nat Turner's insurrection.
(b) Linda's disappearance.
(c) Benjamin's escape to the North.
(d) The death of a slave.
4. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
5. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
(a) He told Linda he would give her her freeedom if she let him have what he wanted.
(b) He told her that he couldn't wait to sell her children for large sums of money.
(c) He told Linda that he would tell his wife that Linda's children were his.
(d) He told Linda that he would tell who the father of her children were.
6. What is the author's alias used in the story?
(a) Harriet Jacobs.
(b) Aunt Marty.
(c) Linda Brent.
(d) Aunt Nancy.
7. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
(a) Her new bike.
(b) Her new bible.
(c) Her new shoes.
(d) Her new shirt.
8. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
(a) To help Linda escape slavery.
(b) To marry Linda.
(c) To take care of his children the best he could.
(d) Not to beat Linda when he found out she was pregnant.
9. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(b) They are told that it is bliss.
(c) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
(d) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
10. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
(a) In the early morning.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) In the middle of the night.
(d) At midmight.
11. How are Benjamin and Linda related?
(a) Benjamin is Linda's uncle.
(b) Benjamin is Linda's brother.
(c) Benjamin is Linda's cousin.
(d) Benjamin is Linda's husband.
12. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Uncle Fred.
(d) Mr. Sands.
13. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) Her uncle.
14. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
(a) Her tweens.
(b) Her childhood.
(c) Her adulthood.
(d) Her adolesence.
15. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
2. What name does Linda call her new hiding spot?
3. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
4. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
5. What is the main message behind Mr. Pike's sermons?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)