|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
(a) She informs him that he is the father of her children.
(b) She informs him that she is free.
(c) She informs him that she is running away.
(d) She informs him that she is pregnant.
2. What does Linda convince her lover to do?
(a) She convinces him to kill himself.
(b) She convinces him to go North and seek his fortune.
(c) She convinces him to become a slave.
(d) She convinces him to free her from slavery.
3. What work does William perform for Dr. Flint?
(a) William works in the fields on Dr. Flint's plantation.
(b) William does not work for Dr. Flint.
(c) William is Dr. Flint's medical assistant.
(d) William is Dr. Flint's field foreman.
4. Why doesn't Linda believe Dr. Flint's threats and promises?
(a) Dr. Flint never threatened or promised her anything.
(b) Linda knew his wife would not let him keep his promises.
(c) Linda was afraid to believe his promises.
(d) Linda knows he is dishonest.
5. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
(b) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(c) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(d) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
6. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
(a) She wants to have another child.
(b) She wants to tell him she loves him.
(c) She wants to secure her children's freedom.
(d) She wants him to tell Dr. Flint where she is hiding.
7. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
(a) She was hiding from the Flints in some bushes.
(b) She was hiding from the Flints in an attic.
(c) She was hiding from the Bretts in some bushes.
(d) She was hiding from the Flints in a small room.
8. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
(d) Aunt Marthy.
9. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
(a) To find Linda.
(b) To escape from slavery.
(c) To find Linda's children.
(d) To be his assistant.
10. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
(a) Linda Brett.
(b) Benjamin Brett.
(c) Jane Hoffman.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
11. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
(a) She does not know who their father is.
(b) She is afraid child protective services will take her children away.
(c) She isn't allowed to give them their father's name due to the laws at that time.
(d) She is afraid of how Dr. Flint will react.
12. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
(a) A dog.
(b) A mosquito.
(c) A coyote.
(d) A red ant.
13. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
(a) Six years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Eleven years old.
(d) Eight years old.
14. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
(a) They feel nothing.
(b) They feel anger.
(c) They feel happy.
(d) They feel saddened.
15. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
(a) The Flint's house.
(b) Peter's house.
(c) Mr. Sands' house.
(d) Her grandmother's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
2. Who does not remember Linda?
3. The sexual abuse of young female slaves is...?
4. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
5. What item does Linda send to Dr. Flint to confirm his beliefs?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)