|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
(a) She is not writing about facts.
(b) She is illiterate.
(c) She is self-conscious about her lack of formal education.
(d) She is afraid no one will believe her.
2. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(b) No one, because Linda's children are free.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
3. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
(a) It tears families apart.
(b) It forces the slaves to choose their owners.
(c) It forces people to marry.
(d) It takes away their property.
4. How are Benjamin and Linda related?
(a) Benjamin is Linda's brother.
(b) Benjamin is Linda's uncle.
(c) Benjamin is Linda's husband.
(d) Benjamin is Linda's cousin.
5. For what political party does Mr. Sands run for office?
(a) Mr. Sands did not run for a political office.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) The Democratic Party.
(d) The Whig Party.
6. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
(a) Mr. Flint.
(b) Mr. Lover.
(c) Mr. Jones.
(d) Mr. Sands.
7. What is the author's purpose for writing this book?
(a) She thinks she is a great writer.
(b) She wants to be rich.
(c) She hopes to aid the slaveholders.
(d) She hopes to help change the destiny of the millions of women who still live in slavery.
8. How often does the town usually have a muster?
(a) Once every five years.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Twice each year.
(d) Once a year.
9. In Chapter 10, Dr. Flint is still determined to have his way with Linda. What plan does he devise to remove Linda from the watchful eyes of those who love her?
(a) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he does not want Linda.
(b) Dr. Flint plans to build her a home several miles from town.
(c) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he could care less what others think of his relationship with Linda.
(d) Dr. Flint plans to forbid her from ever leaving his house.
10. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
(a) Uncle Fred.
(b) Mr. Sands.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
11. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her belongings.
(d) Her grandmother's money.
12. How are Aunt Marthy and Linda related?
(a) Aunt Marthy is Linda's aunt.
(b) Aunt Marthy is Linda's grandmother.
(c) Aunt Marthy is not related to Linda.
(d) Aunt Marthy is Linda's mother.
13. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
(a) She wants him to tell Dr. Flint where she is hiding.
(b) She wants to have another child.
(c) She wants to tell him she loves him.
(d) She wants to secure her children's freedom.
14. How does the Flint family treat their slaves?
(a) With cruelty.
(b) With love.
(c) With respect.
(d) With kindness.
15. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
(a) Her new bible.
(b) Her new bike.
(c) Her new shirt.
(d) Her new shoes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
2. What item does the young Mrs. Flint deny an old feeble slave?
3. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
4. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
5. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)