|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
(a) They tend to treat them kinder.
(b) They tend to treat them the same.
(c) They tend to treat them harsher.
(d) Northerners do not move South to purchase slaves.
2. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
(a) To protect her children.
(b) So they cannot turn her in to The Flint family.
(c) So they can truthfully say they have no idea where she is.
(d) Linda never hid, so she had no reason to tell them anything.
3. Which character is jealous of Linda?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
4. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Eleven years old.
(c) Six years old.
(d) Twenty years old.
5. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
(a) She is afraid no one will believe her.
(b) She is self-conscious about her lack of formal education.
(c) She is illiterate.
(d) She is not writing about facts.
6. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
7. How are Aunt Marthy and Linda related?
(a) Aunt Marthy is Linda's grandmother.
(b) Aunt Marthy is Linda's aunt.
(c) Aunt Marthy is not related to Linda.
(d) Aunt Marthy is Linda's mother.
8. What is the author's purpose for writing this book?
(a) She hopes to aid the slaveholders.
(b) She thinks she is a great writer.
(c) She hopes to help change the destiny of the millions of women who still live in slavery.
(d) She wants to be rich.
9. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
(b) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
(c) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(d) They are told that it is bliss.
10. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
(a) To work for Mr. Litch.
(b) To the plantation.
(c) Up North to work for a friend.
(d) To his doctor offices.
11. What item does the young Mrs. Flint deny an old feeble slave?
(a) His share of work.
(b) His medication.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His meat ration.
12. What is a muster?
(a) When the white folks raid the homes of the slaves and free black people.
(b) When a slave escapes to the North.
(c) When a slaveholder beats a slave.
(d) When a slave marries a free person.
13. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her uncle.
14. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
(a) January 15th.
(b) December 25th.
(c) February 21st.
(d) January 1st.
15. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
(a) To find Linda.
(b) To find Linda's children.
(c) To escape from slavery.
(d) To be his assistant.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
2. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
3. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
4. What character is arrested on charges of helping Linda escape?
5. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)