|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
(a) Twenty years old.
(b) Six years old.
(c) Eleven years old.
(d) Eight years old.
2. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
(a) They feel happy.
(b) They feel nothing.
(c) They feel saddened.
(d) They feel anger.
3. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
(a) She wants to secure her children's freedom.
(b) She wants him to tell Dr. Flint where she is hiding.
(c) She wants to tell him she loves him.
(d) She wants to have another child.
4. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
(a) She is illiterate.
(b) She is not writing about facts.
(c) She is self-conscious about her lack of formal education.
(d) She is afraid no one will believe her.
5. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) No one, because Linda's children are free.
(c) Mr. Sands.
6. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
(a) Lying to her slaveholder.
(b) Escaping to the North.
(c) Bearing children out of wedlock.
(d) Having an affair.
7. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
(a) Her new bible.
(b) Her new shirt.
(c) Her new bike.
(d) Her new shoes.
8. Who becomes very ill in jail and goes to live with the Flints?
(c) Aunt Marthy.
9. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
(a) She is afraid child protective services will take her children away.
(b) She does not know who their father is.
(c) She is afraid of how Dr. Flint will react.
(d) She isn't allowed to give them their father's name due to the laws at that time.
10. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
(a) To take care of his children the best he could.
(b) To help Linda escape slavery.
(c) Not to beat Linda when he found out she was pregnant.
(d) To marry Linda.
11. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her grandmother's money.
(c) Her children.
(d) Her belongings.
12. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) His new wife.
13. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
14. Why does Linda never go hungry?
(a) Linda's grandmother provides her with extra food.
(b) Linda is her slaveholder's favorite.
(c) Linda is a cook and steals food.
(d) Linda is not a slave and is able to provide her own food.
15. What does Linda's lover propose to do for her?
(a) He proposes to sell her to another slaveholder.
(b) He proposes to move into Aunt Marthy's.
(c) He proposes to marry her and wishes to buy her.
(d) He proposes to escape slavery with her.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Linda fall in love with?
2. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
3. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
4. What does William do when he is in Washington?
5. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)