|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the biracial children of slaveholders treated?
(a) They live with their fathers.
(b) The slaveholders did not father any illegitimate children.
(c) They stay with their mothers, but are granted freedom.
(d) They are treated the same as any other slave.
2. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
3. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) His new wife.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
4. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
(a) She is afraid of how Dr. Flint will react.
(b) She is afraid child protective services will take her children away.
(c) She does not know who their father is.
(d) She isn't allowed to give them their father's name due to the laws at that time.
5. What item does the young Mrs. Flint deny an old feeble slave?
(a) His share of work.
(b) His meat ration.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His medication.
6. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
7. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
(a) Advertisements offering a reward for her capture.
(b) Posters of Linda's children.
(c) Posters of Linda being hung.
(d) Nothing was posted because Linda never disappeared.
8. How are Benjamin and Linda related?
(a) Benjamin is Linda's brother.
(b) Benjamin is Linda's husband.
(c) Benjamin is Linda's uncle.
(d) Benjamin is Linda's cousin.
9. Who does Linda fall in love with?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) A free black man in her town.
10. What name does Linda call her new hiding spot?
(a) Her hole.
(b) Her den.
(c) Her library.
(d) Her bedroom.
11. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
(c) Aunt Marthy.
12. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
(a) They feel happy.
(b) They feel saddened.
(c) They feel nothing.
(d) They feel anger.
13. What happens to Linda when she reaches the age of 15?
(a) Dr. Flint begins making advances toward her.
(b) Linda becomes pregnant.
(c) Linda escapes from slavery.
(d) Dr. Flint allows Linda her freedom.
14. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
(a) He told her that he couldn't wait to sell her children for large sums of money.
(b) He told Linda that he would tell his wife that Linda's children were his.
(c) He told Linda he would give her her freeedom if she let him have what he wanted.
(d) He told Linda that he would tell who the father of her children were.
15. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Dr. Flint.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dr. Flint do with the item Linda sends to her grandmother?
2. What item does Linda send to Dr. Flint to confirm his beliefs?
3. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
4. Which character is jealous of Linda?
5. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)