|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Linda's lover propose to do for her?
(a) He proposes to marry her and wishes to buy her.
(b) He proposes to escape slavery with her.
(c) He proposes to sell her to another slaveholder.
(d) He proposes to move into Aunt Marthy's.
2. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Uncle Fred.
3. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
(a) February 21st.
(b) January 1st.
(c) December 25th.
(d) January 15th.
4. How does the Flint family treat their slaves?
(a) With respect.
(b) With kindness.
(c) With cruelty.
(d) With love.
5. Who does Linda send to try to dissuade Mr. Sands from his plans for her children?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Her grandmother.
(d) Her uncle.
6. What is the author's alias used in the story?
(a) Aunt Nancy.
(b) Aunt Marty.
(c) Linda Brent.
(d) Harriet Jacobs.
7. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
(a) Mr. Sands' house.
(b) The Flint's house.
(c) Her grandmother's house.
(d) Peter's house.
8. How do Linda and William remain connected?
(a) They remain connected through letters.
(b) They remain connected through their children.
(c) They do not remain connected.
(d) They remain connected through daily contact.
9. What tool does Linda use to make a hole in her hiding place?
(a) A gimlet.
(b) A knife.
(c) A hammer.
(d) A saw.
10. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
(a) It tears families apart.
(b) It takes away their property.
(c) It forces people to marry.
(d) It forces the slaves to choose their owners.
11. Linda's second child reveals the identity of which character?
(a) Her grandmother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her grandfather.
(d) Her master.
12. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
13. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
(a) She wants to have another child.
(b) She wants to tell him she loves him.
(c) She wants him to tell Dr. Flint where she is hiding.
(d) She wants to secure her children's freedom.
14. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
(a) Escaping to the North.
(b) Bearing children out of wedlock.
(c) Lying to her slaveholder.
(d) Having an affair.
15. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) No one, because Linda's children are free.
Short Answer Questions
1. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
2. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
3. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
4. What does William do when he is in Washington?
5. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)