|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A red ant.
(c) A dog.
(d) A mosquito.
2. How are the biracial children of slaveholders treated?
(a) They are treated the same as any other slave.
(b) They stay with their mothers, but are granted freedom.
(c) They live with their fathers.
(d) The slaveholders did not father any illegitimate children.
3. Why doesn't Linda believe Dr. Flint's threats and promises?
(a) Linda knows he is dishonest.
(b) Dr. Flint never threatened or promised her anything.
(c) Linda knew his wife would not let him keep his promises.
(d) Linda was afraid to believe his promises.
4. What is a muster?
(a) When a slave escapes to the North.
(b) When a slave marries a free person.
(c) When the white folks raid the homes of the slaves and free black people.
(d) When a slaveholder beats a slave.
5. Why does Linda never go hungry?
(a) Linda is a cook and steals food.
(b) Linda's grandmother provides her with extra food.
(c) Linda is her slaveholder's favorite.
(d) Linda is not a slave and is able to provide her own food.
6. What does Dr. Flint do with the item Linda sends to her grandmother?
(a) He gives it to her grandmother.
(b) He throws it away.
(c) Nothing. Linda does not send her grandmother anything.
(d) He intercepts it and replaces it.
7. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) Six miles.
(c) One mile.
(d) Twenty miles.
8. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
(a) Mr. Lover.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mr. Flint.
(d) Mr. Sands.
9. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
10. Who informs Linda that her children have been sold?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) The Flints.
(d) Mr. Sands.
11. What event happens to Linda during her second winter in her den?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) Dr. Flint finds out where she's hiding.
(c) Benny becomes very ill.
(d) Her grandmother dies.
12. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Dr. Flint.
(d) His new wife.
13. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
(d) Aunt Marthy.
14. Why is Linda hiding in the swamps?
(a) Linda enjoys the swamps.
(b) Linda's hider kicks her out and she had no other place to go.
(c) She is waiting for a new secure hiding place.
(d) The Flints find Linda and she flees to the swamps.
15. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
(b) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(c) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(d) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
2. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
3. What happens to Linda when she reaches the age of 15?
4. Who does Linda fall in love with?
5. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
This section contains 606 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)