|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the author's alias used in the story?
(a) Harriet Jacobs.
(b) Aunt Nancy.
(c) Linda Brent.
(d) Aunt Marty.
2. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
(a) Up North to work for a friend.
(b) To his doctor offices.
(c) To the plantation.
(d) To work for Mr. Litch.
3. What is a muster?
(a) When the white folks raid the homes of the slaves and free black people.
(b) When a slave escapes to the North.
(c) When a slave marries a free person.
(d) When a slaveholder beats a slave.
4. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
(a) Her grandmother's house.
(b) Peter's house.
(c) Mr. Sands' house.
(d) The Flint's house.
5. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
(a) She is afraid no one will believe her.
(b) She is not writing about facts.
(c) She is illiterate.
(d) She is self-conscious about her lack of formal education.
6. What does Linda convince her lover to do?
(a) She convinces him to kill himself.
(b) She convinces him to free her from slavery.
(c) She convinces him to become a slave.
(d) She convinces him to go North and seek his fortune.
7. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
(a) Ten miles.
(b) One mile.
(c) Six miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
8. Why doesn't Linda tell her family about her hiding place?
(a) To protect her children.
(b) Linda never hid, so she had no reason to tell them anything.
(c) So they cannot turn her in to The Flint family.
(d) So they can truthfully say they have no idea where she is.
9. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
(a) Not to beat Linda when he found out she was pregnant.
(b) To marry Linda.
(c) To help Linda escape slavery.
(d) To take care of his children the best he could.
10. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
(a) Benjamin Brett.
(b) Mrs. Flint.
(c) Linda Brett.
(d) Jane Hoffman.
11. What name does Linda call her new hiding spot?
(a) Her hole.
(b) Her library.
(c) Her den.
(d) Her bedroom.
12. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
(a) Advertisements offering a reward for her capture.
(b) Posters of Linda being hung.
(c) Posters of Linda's children.
(d) Nothing was posted because Linda never disappeared.
13. How does the person in question 85 react to Mr. Sands' news?
(a) He wants to sell the children into slavery.
(b) She wants to sell the children into slavery.
(c) He wants to raise the children as his own.
(d) She wants to raise Benny as her own.
14. What happens to Linda when she reaches the age of 15?
(a) Dr. Flint allows Linda her freedom.
(b) Linda becomes pregnant.
(c) Dr. Flint begins making advances toward her.
(d) Linda escapes from slavery.
15. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
2. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
3. What is the gender of Linda's second child?
4. What event prompts Linda's town to have a muster?
5. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)