Mid-Book Test - Easy
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
2. What is posted within 24 hours of Linda's disappearance?
(a) Posters of Linda's children.
(b) Advertisements offering a reward for her capture.
(c) Nothing was posted because Linda never disappeared.
(d) Posters of Linda being hung.
3. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
4. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
(a) The Flint's house.
(b) Peter's house.
(c) Her grandmother's house.
(d) Mr. Sands' house.
5. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
(a) She was hiding from the Bretts in some bushes.
(b) She was hiding from the Flints in a small room.
(c) She was hiding from the Flints in some bushes.
(d) She was hiding from the Flints in an attic.
6. What is a muster?
(a) When a slave escapes to the North.
(b) When the white folks raid the homes of the slaves and free black people.
(c) When a slaveholder beats a slave.
(d) When a slave marries a free person.
7. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
(b) Uncle Fred.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
8. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) The Flints.
(c) A kind slaveholder man in town.
(d) A kind slaveholder woman in town.
9. For what political party does Mr. Sands run for office?
(a) The Whig Party.
(b) The Republican Party.
(c) Mr. Sands did not run for a political office.
(d) The Democratic Party.
10. What item does the young Mrs. Flint deny an old feeble slave?
(a) His share of work.
(b) His meat ration.
(c) His clothing.
(d) His medication.
11. Where is Ellen sent to live?
(a) To live with Mr. Sands.
(b) She is not sent to live anywhere.
(c) To live with Dr. Flint.
(d) To live with Mr. Sands' relatives in New York.
12. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
(a) She does not know who their father is.
(b) She isn't allowed to give them their father's name due to the laws at that time.
(c) She is afraid child protective services will take her children away.
(d) She is afraid of how Dr. Flint will react.
13. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
(a) To take care of his children the best he could.
(b) To marry Linda.
(c) To help Linda escape slavery.
(d) Not to beat Linda when he found out she was pregnant.
14. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Eleven years old.
(c) Twenty years old.
(d) Six years old.
15. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
(a) Linda Brett.
(b) Mrs. Flint.
(c) Benjamin Brett.
(d) Jane Hoffman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
2. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
3. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
4. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
5. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)