|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
(a) He told Linda he would give her her freeedom if she let him have what he wanted.
(b) He told her that he couldn't wait to sell her children for large sums of money.
(c) He told Linda that he would tell his wife that Linda's children were his.
(d) He told Linda that he would tell who the father of her children were.
2. Linda's second child reveals the identity of which character?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her master.
3. What item does the young Mrs. Flint deny an old feeble slave?
(a) His clothing.
(b) His share of work.
(c) His meat ration.
(d) His medication.
4. For what political party does Mr. Sands run for office?
(a) The Democratic Party.
(b) The Whig Party.
(c) The Republican Party.
(d) Mr. Sands did not run for a political office.
5. What tool does Linda use to make a hole in her hiding place?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A knife.
(c) A gimlet.
(d) A saw.
6. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(b) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
(c) They are told that it is bliss.
(d) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
7. How does Mr. Sands feel about William's work ethic?
(a) He is unsatisified with it.
(b) He beats William until he changes.
(c) William never worked for Mr. Sands.
(d) He is satisified with it.
8. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
(a) She was hiding from the Bretts in some bushes.
(b) She was hiding from the Flints in a small room.
(c) She was hiding from the Flints in some bushes.
(d) She was hiding from the Flints in an attic.
9. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
(a) She is afraid of how Dr. Flint will react.
(b) She isn't allowed to give them their father's name due to the laws at that time.
(c) She does not know who their father is.
(d) She is afraid child protective services will take her children away.
10. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
(a) Mr. Flint.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mr. Lover.
(d) Mr. Sands.
11. What does William do when he is in Washington?
(a) He escapes from slavery.
(b) He helps Linda escape from slavery.
(c) Nothing. William does not go to Washington.
(d) He kills Mr. Sands.
12. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
(a) She is not writing about facts.
(b) She is self-conscious about her lack of formal education.
(c) She is illiterate.
(d) She is afraid no one will believe her.
13. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
(a) January 1st.
(b) December 25th.
(c) January 15th.
(d) February 21st.
14. How often does the town usually have a muster?
(a) Once a year.
(b) Twice each year.
(c) Once a month.
(d) Once every five years.
15. Where does Dr. Flint travel while searching for Linda?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Ellen sent to live?
2. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
3. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
4. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
5. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)