|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Linda make for her children at Christmas?
(a) She sews clothes and toys.
(b) She does not make them anything.
(c) She makes them cakes and cookies.
(d) She draws them pictures of the North.
2. Why is Linda hiding in the swamps?
(a) She is waiting for a new secure hiding place.
(b) Linda enjoys the swamps.
(c) The Flints find Linda and she flees to the swamps.
(d) Linda's hider kicks her out and she had no other place to go.
3. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
(a) Mr. Sands' house.
(b) The Flint's house.
(c) Peter's house.
(d) Her grandmother's house.
4. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(b) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
(c) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
(d) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
5. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) No one, because Linda's children are free.
(d) Mr. Sands.
6. What is a muster?
(a) When a slave marries a free person.
(b) When a slave escapes to the North.
(c) When the white folks raid the homes of the slaves and free black people.
(d) When a slaveholder beats a slave.
7. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
(a) Having an affair.
(b) Lying to her slaveholder.
(c) Bearing children out of wedlock.
(d) Escaping to the North.
8. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
9. What is the gender of Linda's second child?
(a) She has twins.
(b) She has a boy.
(c) She does not have a second child.
(d) She has a girl.
10. Who does not remember Linda?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Mr. Sands.
11. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
(a) To his doctor offices.
(b) Up North to work for a friend.
(c) To the plantation.
(d) To work for Mr. Litch.
12. Mr. Sands considers William to be a coworker and a what?
13. How does the Flint family treat their slaves?
(a) With kindness.
(b) With cruelty.
(c) With love.
(d) With respect.
14. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
(a) In the early morning.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) In the middle of the night.
(d) At midmight.
15. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Uncle Fred.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
2. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
3. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
4. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
5. How are Benjamin and Linda related?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)