|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(a) No one, because Linda's children are free.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Mr. Sands.
2. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
(a) She is afraid of how Dr. Flint will react.
(b) She does not know who their father is.
(c) She isn't allowed to give them their father's name due to the laws at that time.
(d) She is afraid child protective services will take her children away.
3. Who visits Aunt Marthy when she is ill?
(a) Jane Hoffman.
(b) Benjamin Brett.
(c) Linda Brett.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
4. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
(a) She informs him that she is free.
(b) She informs him that she is pregnant.
(c) She informs him that he is the father of her children.
(d) She informs him that she is running away.
5. What does Dr. Flint do with the item Linda sends to her grandmother?
(a) He intercepts it and replaces it.
(b) He throws it away.
(c) Nothing. Linda does not send her grandmother anything.
(d) He gives it to her grandmother.
6. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(b) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
(c) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(d) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
7. What does Linda's lover propose to do for her?
(a) He proposes to escape slavery with her.
(b) He proposes to move into Aunt Marthy's.
(c) He proposes to marry her and wishes to buy her.
(d) He proposes to sell her to another slaveholder.
8. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
(a) Up North to work for a friend.
(b) To work for Mr. Litch.
(c) To the plantation.
(d) To his doctor offices.
9. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
(a) Mr. Sands' house.
(b) The Flint's house.
(c) Peter's house.
(d) Her grandmother's house.
10. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
(b) His new wife.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) Dr. Flint.
11. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
(a) Harriet Jacobs.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) William Brent.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
12. How does the person in question 85 react to Mr. Sands' news?
(a) She wants to raise Benny as her own.
(b) He wants to sell the children into slavery.
(c) She wants to sell the children into slavery.
(d) He wants to raise the children as his own.
13. What is the author's purpose for writing this book?
(a) She hopes to help change the destiny of the millions of women who still live in slavery.
(b) She thinks she is a great writer.
(c) She wants to be rich.
(d) She hopes to aid the slaveholders.
14. What is the main message behind Mr. Pike's sermons?
(a) To teach the slaves how to escape North.
(b) To teach the slaves how to pray.
(c) To teach the slaves to obey their masters.
(d) To teach the slaves to read.
15. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
(a) To find Linda.
(b) To be his assistant.
(c) To find Linda's children.
(d) To escape from slavery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
2. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
3. How does the Flint family treat their slaves?
4. How are Aunt Marthy and Linda related?
5. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)