|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
(a) In the afternoon.
(b) In the early morning.
(c) In the middle of the night.
(d) At midmight.
2. How are Benjamin and Linda related?
(a) Benjamin is Linda's cousin.
(b) Benjamin is Linda's uncle.
(c) Benjamin is Linda's husband.
(d) Benjamin is Linda's brother.
3. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Uncle Phillip.
(c) Two slave hunters.
4. Linda's second child reveals the identity of which character?
(a) Her grandfather.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her master.
5. Whom does Linda teach to read despite the fear of being caught?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Uncle Fred.
6. How are the biracial children of slaveholders treated?
(a) They stay with their mothers, but are granted freedom.
(b) They are treated the same as any other slave.
(c) They live with their fathers.
(d) The slaveholders did not father any illegitimate children.
7. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
8. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
(a) To be his assistant.
(b) To escape from slavery.
(c) To find Linda.
(d) To find Linda's children.
9. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
(a) Eleven years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Eight years old.
(d) Six years old.
10. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
(a) He told her that he couldn't wait to sell her children for large sums of money.
(b) He told Linda he would give her her freeedom if she let him have what he wanted.
(c) He told Linda that he would tell who the father of her children were.
(d) He told Linda that he would tell his wife that Linda's children were his.
11. Where is Ellen sent to live?
(a) To live with Mr. Sands' relatives in New York.
(b) To live with Dr. Flint.
(c) She is not sent to live anywhere.
(d) To live with Mr. Sands.
12. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(b) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
(c) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(d) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
13. What does Linda make for her children at Christmas?
(a) She makes them cakes and cookies.
(b) She draws them pictures of the North.
(c) She does not make them anything.
(d) She sews clothes and toys.
14. What happens to Linda when she reaches the age of 15?
(a) Linda becomes pregnant.
(b) Dr. Flint allows Linda her freedom.
(c) Linda escapes from slavery.
(d) Dr. Flint begins making advances toward her.
15. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
(a) She does not know who their father is.
(b) She isn't allowed to give them their father's name due to the laws at that time.
(c) She is afraid child protective services will take her children away.
(d) She is afraid of how Dr. Flint will react.
Short Answer Questions
1. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
2. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
3. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
4. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
5. How often does the town usually have a muster?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)