|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the author's purpose for writing this book?
(a) She hopes to help change the destiny of the millions of women who still live in slavery.
(b) She hopes to aid the slaveholders.
(c) She wants to be rich.
(d) She thinks she is a great writer.
2. What does Dr. Flint do with the item Linda sends to her grandmother?
(a) He gives it to her grandmother.
(b) He throws it away.
(c) He intercepts it and replaces it.
(d) Nothing. Linda does not send her grandmother anything.
3. Who finds it difficult to adjust to life in bondage in Chapter 2?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
4. How does Mr. Sands feel about William's work ethic?
(a) He is satisified with it.
(b) He is unsatisified with it.
(c) He beats William until he changes.
(d) William never worked for Mr. Sands.
5. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
(a) January 1st.
(b) December 25th.
(c) February 21st.
(d) January 15th.
6. How does Linda receive a venomous snake bite?
(a) She was hiding from the Flints in a small room.
(b) She was hiding from the Flints in some bushes.
(c) She was hiding from the Flints in an attic.
(d) She was hiding from the Bretts in some bushes.
7. Why does Linda never go hungry?
(a) Linda is not a slave and is able to provide her own food.
(b) Linda is her slaveholder's favorite.
(c) Linda is a cook and steals food.
(d) Linda's grandmother provides her with extra food.
8. What item does Linda send to Dr. Flint to confirm his beliefs?
(a) A rose.
(b) A letter.
(c) A telegram.
(d) Linda does not send anything to Dr. Flint.
9. Where does Dr. Flint travel while searching for Linda?
(a) New York.
10. Which of the following terms best describes good, kind slaveholders?
(b) All slaveholders are good and kind.
(c) Do not exist.
11. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
(a) A kind slaveholder woman in town.
(b) A kind slaveholder man in town.
(c) The Flints.
(d) Mr. Sands.
12. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
(a) Eight years old.
(b) Twenty years old.
(c) Eleven years old.
(d) Six years old.
13. How are the biracial children of slaveholders treated?
(a) They stay with their mothers, but are granted freedom.
(b) They are treated the same as any other slave.
(c) The slaveholders did not father any illegitimate children.
(d) They live with their fathers.
14. In Chapter 10, Dr. Flint is still determined to have his way with Linda. What plan does he devise to remove Linda from the watchful eyes of those who love her?
(a) Dr. Flint plans to build her a home several miles from town.
(b) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he does not want Linda.
(c) Dr. Flint plans to forbid her from ever leaving his house.
(d) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he could care less what others think of his relationship with Linda.
15. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
(a) A coyote.
(b) A red ant.
(c) A mosquito.
(d) A dog.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is jealous of Linda?
2. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
3. What does William do when he is in Washington?
4. The author anticipates that the reading public will judge her harshly for what action?
5. Who must Linda wait for to help her return to her den after she meets Mr. Sands?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)