|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
(a) It forces the slaves to choose their owners.
(b) It takes away their property.
(c) It tears families apart.
(d) It forces people to marry.
2. How does Mr. Sands feel about William's work ethic?
(a) He is satisified with it.
(b) He beats William until he changes.
(c) He is unsatisified with it.
(d) William never worked for Mr. Sands.
3. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) Aunt Marthy.
(d) No one, because Linda's children are free.
4. Where is Ellen sent to live?
(a) To live with Mr. Sands' relatives in New York.
(b) To live with Dr. Flint.
(c) To live with Mr. Sands.
(d) She is not sent to live anywhere.
5. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
(a) They feel happy.
(b) They feel nothing.
(c) They feel saddened.
(d) They feel anger.
6. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
(d) Aunt Marthy.
7. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
(a) Twenty years old.
(b) Six years old.
(c) Eight years old.
(d) Eleven years old.
8. How many miles does Linda have to walk to see her family?
(a) One mile.
(b) Six miles.
(c) Ten miles.
(d) Twenty miles.
9. What types of activities are common on Mr. Litch's plantation?
(a) Kindness, love, and honor.
(b) Parties, gambling, and drinking.
(c) Running, playing, and jumping.
(d) Beatings, whippings, and murders.
10. How does Dr. Flint try to force Linda into submission after she has her children?
(a) He told Linda that he would tell his wife that Linda's children were his.
(b) He told Linda that he would tell who the father of her children were.
(c) He told Linda he would give her her freeedom if she let him have what he wanted.
(d) He told her that he couldn't wait to sell her children for large sums of money.
11. The sexual abuse of young female slaves is...?
(c) Not mentioned in the story.
(d) Never occurs.
12. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(d) His new wife.
13. Who does Linda have an affair with to thwart Dr. Flint's plan?
(a) Mr. Lover.
(b) Mr. Jones.
(c) Mr. Flint.
(d) Mr. Sands.
14. After Linda rejects Dr. Flint for the final time, where does he send her to work?
(a) To the plantation.
(b) To work for Mr. Litch.
(c) Up North to work for a friend.
(d) To his doctor offices.
15. What is the author's alias used in the story?
(a) Aunt Nancy.
(b) Linda Brent.
(c) Harriet Jacobs.
(d) Aunt Marty.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
2. Why doesn't Linda give her children their father's last name?
3. Why does Linda never go hungry?
4. Where does Dr. Flint travel while searching for Linda?
5. How are Aunt Marthy and Linda related?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)