|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Linda hides in the swamps, what is the location of her new hiding spot?
(a) The Flint's house.
(b) Peter's house.
(c) Mr. Sands' house.
(d) Her grandmother's house.
2. Who informs Linda that her children have been sold?
(b) Mr. Sands.
(c) The Flints.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
3. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(b) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(c) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
(d) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
4. What event happens to Linda during her second winter in her den?
(a) Dr. Flint finds out where she's hiding.
(b) Benny becomes very ill.
(c) She becomes very ill.
(d) Her grandmother dies.
5. What is the main message behind Mr. Pike's sermons?
(a) To teach the slaves how to pray.
(b) To teach the slaves how to escape North.
(c) To teach the slaves to read.
(d) To teach the slaves to obey their masters.
6. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
(a) Her childhood.
(b) Her adolesence.
(c) Her adulthood.
(d) Her tweens.
7. Who must Linda wait for to help her return to her den after she meets Mr. Sands?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) Dr. Flint.
(c) Uncle Phillip.
(d) Mrs. Flint.
8. Whom does Aunt Marthy invite over for Christmas dinner?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Two slave hunters.
(d) Uncle Phillip.
9. How often does the town usually have a muster?
(a) Once a year.
(b) Once a month.
(c) Twice each year.
(d) Once every five years.
10. What work does William perform for Dr. Flint?
(a) William works in the fields on Dr. Flint's plantation.
(b) William is Dr. Flint's field foreman.
(c) William does not work for Dr. Flint.
(d) William is Dr. Flint's medical assistant.
11. What is Mr. Sands' response to Linda's demands?
(a) He does not believe his children are slaves and would never treat them as such.
(b) His hands are tied because the children still belong to Dr. Flint's daughter.
(c) He is going to sell the children into slavery.
(d) He is going to take the children and raise them as his own.
12. Who does Linda fall in love with?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) A free black man in her town.
13. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
(a) She is self-conscious about her lack of formal education.
(b) She is not writing about facts.
(c) She is afraid no one will believe her.
(d) She is illiterate.
14. What news does Linda grace Dr. Flint with on the day she is to move into her new house?
(a) She informs him that he is the father of her children.
(b) She informs him that she is pregnant.
(c) She informs him that she is free.
(d) She informs him that she is running away.
15. Where does Dr. Flint travel while searching for Linda?
(d) New York.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
2. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
3. How does the person in question 85 react to Mr. Sands' news?
4. What character is arrested on charges of helping Linda escape?
5. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)