|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the gender of Linda's second child?
(a) She has a boy.
(b) She does not have a second child.
(c) She has a girl.
(d) She has twins.
2. Which character sees Benjamin in New York?
(b) Aunt Marthy.
3. Who does Linda bring with her to the plantation?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
4. Why does William accompany Mr. Sands to Washington?
(a) To be his assistant.
(b) To escape from slavery.
(c) To find Linda.
(d) To find Linda's children.
5. What item does Linda send to Dr. Flint to confirm his beliefs?
(a) Linda does not send anything to Dr. Flint.
(b) A telegram.
(c) A rose.
(d) A letter.
6. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
(a) Northerners do not move South to purchase slaves.
(b) They tend to treat them kinder.
(c) They tend to treat them the same.
(d) They tend to treat them harsher.
7. What does Mrs. Flint take away from Linda?
(a) Her new bike.
(b) Her new bible.
(c) Her new shoes.
(d) Her new shirt.
8. What tool does Linda use to make a hole in her hiding place?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A gimlet.
(c) A saw.
(d) A knife.
9. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
(a) The slave steals food from Dr. Flint's daughter.
(b) The slave spits at Dr. Flint.
(c) The slave fathers a child with Mrs. Flint.
(d) The slave suspects Dr. Flint is the father of his wife's child.
10. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
(a) She is self-conscious about her lack of formal education.
(b) She is not writing about facts.
(c) She is afraid no one will believe her.
(d) She is illiterate.
11. Why is Linda hiding in the swamps?
(a) Linda's hider kicks her out and she had no other place to go.
(b) The Flints find Linda and she flees to the swamps.
(c) She is waiting for a new secure hiding place.
(d) Linda enjoys the swamps.
12. How does Mr. Sands feel about William's work ethic?
(a) He is satisified with it.
(b) He beats William until he changes.
(c) William never worked for Mr. Sands.
(d) He is unsatisified with it.
13. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(d) His new wife.
14. What is the author's alias used in the story?
(a) Harriet Jacobs.
(b) Aunt Nancy.
(c) Aunt Marty.
(d) Linda Brent.
15. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) No one, because Linda's children are free.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
2. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
3. At what age does Linda first discover that she is a slave?
4. Why do Benny and Ellen believe in Santa Claus?
5. What is Benny bitten by, causing him to become seriously injured?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)