|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item does Linda send to Dr. Flint to confirm his beliefs?
(a) Linda does not send anything to Dr. Flint.
(b) A letter.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A rose.
2. What types of activities are common on Mr. Litch's plantation?
(a) Running, playing, and jumping.
(b) Beatings, whippings, and murders.
(c) Kindness, love, and honor.
(d) Parties, gambling, and drinking.
3. What does Linda take from her grandmother's house to make it appear as though she has run up North?
(a) Her children.
(b) Her grandmother.
(c) Her belongings.
(d) Her grandmother's money.
4. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
(a) To be returned to slavery.
(b) To flee to another state.
(d) To be beaten by her master.
5. Who buys Linda's children from the Flints?
(a) Aunt Marthy.
(b) No one, because Linda's children are free.
(d) Mr. Sands.
6. Who offers to hide Linda after she has hidden in the bushes?
(a) Mr. Sands.
(b) A kind slaveholder woman in town.
(c) The Flints.
(d) A kind slaveholder man in town.
7. What tool does Linda use to make a hole in her hiding place?
(a) A hammer.
(b) A saw.
(c) A gimlet.
(d) A knife.
8. How do Linda and her grandmother feel when William is no longer a daily part of their lives?
(a) They feel happy.
(b) They feel saddened.
(c) They feel anger.
(d) They feel nothing.
9. What work does William perform for Dr. Flint?
(a) William works in the fields on Dr. Flint's plantation.
(b) William is Dr. Flint's field foreman.
(c) William is Dr. Flint's medical assistant.
(d) William does not work for Dr. Flint.
10. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
(b) They are told that it is bliss.
(c) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
(d) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
11. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
(a) It tears families apart.
(b) It forces people to marry.
(c) It forces the slaves to choose their owners.
(d) It takes away their property.
12. What event happens to Linda during her second winter in her den?
(a) She becomes very ill.
(b) Dr. Flint finds out where she's hiding.
(c) Benny becomes very ill.
(d) Her grandmother dies.
13. Why does Linda risk coming out of hiding to talk to Mr. Sands?
(a) She wants to tell him she loves him.
(b) She wants to secure her children's freedom.
(c) She wants him to tell Dr. Flint where she is hiding.
(d) She wants to have another child.
14. How long does Linda stay in her hiding place?
15. What name does Linda call her new hiding spot?
(a) Her library.
(b) Her den.
(c) Her bedroom.
(d) Her hole.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Linda and William remain connected?
2. Who becomes very ill in jail and goes to live with the Flints?
3. What is the man's name who dies a horrific way on Mr. Litch's plantation?
4. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
5. Which character is jealous of Linda?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)