Short Essay Questions
1. Why is this book an important piece of American literature?
2. Using examples from the text, give three instances supporting the author's claim that she had a happy childhood.
3. In Chapter Two, Linda is sent to live with the Flints. Compare and contrast how the Flint household differs or is similar to Linda's first mistress' house.
4. Why is New Year's Day a horrific day for most slaves?
5. What happens to Benjamin when he tries to escape from slavery?
6. List three to five examples of how slaves are humiliated and degraded by the slavery system.
7. How does Mrs. Flint react when Linda tells her of Dr. Flint's advances?
8. Why does Linda turn down a marriage proposal to a free black man whom she was very much in love with?
9. Using examples from the text, explain why some slaves believe the lies told to them about the North.
This section contains 935 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)