|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 36, A Hairbreadth Escape.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The sexual abuse of young female slaves is...?
(a) Not mentioned in the story.
(c) Never occurs.
2. What two things does Linda immediately notice about Ellen?
(a) She noticed that Ellen's hair and face have been burned.
(b) She noticed that Ellen's care and education have been well-cared for.
(c) She noticed that Ellen did love her anymore and that she wanted to live with her father.
(d) She noticed that Ellen's care and education have been neglected.
3. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
(a) Northerners do not move South to purchase slaves.
(b) They tend to treat them harsher.
(c) They tend to treat them kinder.
(d) They tend to treat them the same.
4. What one lie does the author point out in the letter from Emily?
(a) That the family sold her daughter.
(b) That the family was willing to sell her.
(c) That the family sold her son.
(d) That the family did not go to any trouble or expense to retrieve her.
5. Who does Mr. Sands inform of his true relationship with Benny and Ellen?
(a) Dr. Flint.
(c) His new wife.
(d) Aunt Marthy.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
2. When Linda goes into hiding in Boston, who lives with her there?
3. Who must Linda wait for to help her return to her den after she meets Mr. Sands?
4. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
5. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)