|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 12, Fear of Insurrection | Chapter 13, The Church and Slavery.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
(a) To be returned to slavery.
(b) To flee to another state.
(d) To be beaten by her master.
2. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(b) They are told that it is bliss.
(c) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
(d) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
3. At what time of day are the slaves allowed to attend church?
(a) In the middle of the night.
(b) In the afternoon.
(c) In the early morning.
(d) At midmight.
4. In Chapter 10, Dr. Flint is still determined to have his way with Linda. What plan does he devise to remove Linda from the watchful eyes of those who love her?
(a) Dr. Flint plans to forbid her from ever leaving his house.
(b) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he does not want Linda.
(c) Dr. Flint plans to build her a home several miles from town.
(d) Dr. Flint does not devise any plan because he could care less what others think of his relationship with Linda.
5. What does Mr. Sands promise Aunt Marthy?
(a) Not to beat Linda when he found out she was pregnant.
(b) To help Linda escape slavery.
(c) To marry Linda.
(d) To take care of his children the best he could.
Short Answer Questions
1. How are the biracial children of slaveholders treated?
2. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
3. What is the author's alias used in the story?
4. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
5. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)