|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, What Slaves are Taught to Believe About the North | Chapter 9, Sketches of Neighboring Slaveholders.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the Flint family treat their slaves?
(a) With kindness.
(b) With love.
(c) With cruelty.
(d) With respect.
2. What part of Linda's life is unusually happy for a slave?
(a) Her childhood.
(b) Her tweens.
(c) Her adolesence.
(d) Her adulthood.
3. Why do the slaves fear auction/hiring day?
(a) It tears families apart.
(b) It forces the slaves to choose their owners.
(c) It forces people to marry.
(d) It takes away their property.
4. What does Linda convince her lover to do?
(a) She convinces him to kill himself.
(b) She convinces him to go North and seek his fortune.
(c) She convinces him to free her from slavery.
(d) She convinces him to become a slave.
5. Who exposes Linda to the hardships of slavery for the first time?
(a) William Brent.
(b) Aunt Marthy.
(c) Harriet Jacobs.
(d) Dr. Flint.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
2. How are Aunt Marthy and Linda related?
3. Approximately how many slave children has Dr. Flint fathered?
4. What is the author's purpose for writing this book?
5. Dr. Flint tells Linda that he has seen an escaped friend of hers in the free states, living in such terrible circumstances that she begs for what?
This section contains 285 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)