|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 8, What Slaves are Taught to Believe About the North | Chapter 9, Sketches of Neighboring Slaveholders.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How are the biracial children of slaveholders treated?
(a) They live with their fathers.
(b) They stay with their mothers, but are granted freedom.
(c) The slaveholders did not father any illegitimate children.
(d) They are treated the same as any other slave.
2. What do the slaveholders tell the slaves about life in the Northern states?
(a) They are told that they will freeze to death if they flee North.
(b) They are told that the Northern states have slavery too.
(c) They are told that it is bliss.
(d) They are told that it is more difficult and unpleasant than their current lives in slavery.
3. What does Linda convince her lover to do?
(a) She convinces him to go North and seek his fortune.
(b) She convinces him to kill himself.
(c) She convinces him to free her from slavery.
(d) She convinces him to become a slave.
4. What happens to Linda when she reaches the age of 15?
(a) Dr. Flint allows Linda her freedom.
(b) Dr. Flint begins making advances toward her.
(c) Linda escapes from slavery.
(d) Linda becomes pregnant.
5. How does the Flint family treat their slaves?
(a) With cruelty.
(b) With respect.
(c) With kindness.
(d) With love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the author hesitant to write her book?
2. When Linda is sent to the Flint house she witnesses countless horrors. Why is one slave beaten within an inch of his life?
3. When does the slave auction and hiring day occur each year?
4. How do Northerners who move South and purchase slaves tend to treat their slaves?
5. What is the author's alias used in the story?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)